Running

alongado

My husky is 5 years old and I'm trying to get her in shape for hiking and caninecross,only problem is she can't even run as fast as me???? She is 28kg and should be about 25kg which I have changed her diet for and her exercise,but she don't seem to be interested in running at all which is odd cause she's a husky?? Any ideas or tips on how to give her a kick up the ass?

Don't kick her up the ass? Lol Encourage her, make it fun an only start doing very short runs. It's like a person. If you go walking with someone who is fitter an faster an you spend all your time trying to keep up you have a horrible time and don't want to repeat the process. If you want a fast run run without her. Just because she's a husky doesn't mean she's an instant athlete. In her last five years what has she done in the way of running?

Start slow an build up like you would if you were a beginner. Have treats or a toy she likes with you to encourage her and concentrate on getting her going not how fast or far you do till she's happy an comfortable going with you at your pace. :)

:lmao:

LOL, that made me laugh.

amongst our Husky members we have those that will run forever without getting out of breath.

and we have those who barely stir off the couch.

Don't worry she's not broken.

Maybe a stick with a piece of chicken hanging just in front of her ??

I'm sure some of our other members who run their dogs on rigs etc may have advice as to how to motivate her. :up:

Mine didn't like to run at that age either. We found out he had arthritis...

Now he tires out quickly, though he can still keep up with me. That's just cause his stamina sucks now...old age and all that. :(

He used to spend hours at the dog park - now after 45 minutes he's done and wants to go home. :(

Maybe that's it then...she's out of shape, so she doesn't like to run because its too hard. Maybe if you increase her stamina first...take her for longer walks, maybe go hiking. 'Sprinkle' in some jogging in your walks, so jog for a minute or so every so often.