Letting Your Husky Off Lead

alongado

How many of you guys and girls let your pup run free? I was always told not to as she would run off and never come back,but I decided a while back that I would try and as it turns out she is great off the lead :-).

Obviously I watch her around livestock but even then she will stop on command.

I tried her first in a fenced of field incase anyone fancies trying it and is nervous.

As above couple of great links for you to read through :)

I personally dont let either of mine off lead unless in a secure enclosed area.

I am warning you all now if this thread has any negative comments or arguments it will be locked instantly without warning.

Woh sorry I didn't want to cause bother,didn't realise it might agitate people.

Apologies again

Its not a problem :) Just the off lead debate has happened so many times just saying to all members to keep it friendly :) 

Yeah, have a read of the mentioned threads and you'll get a feeling for the advice you need (or not) to take.

It is one of those topics that cycle through the forum, and there are those of us who have had Huskies for some time, and those who are new to the breed, and invariably, it is those that are new to the breed that seem most often to broach the subject.

Ive had my girl for 5 and a half years and used to be totally against it but she is good as gold,we walk her with 2 springer spaniels and they unfortunately have had the odd rabbit and badger and chase squirrels,but mine just ain't bothered by any of them,just sniffs about and has a play and if she gets too far ahead she looks back,sits and waits,sometimes she runs after a playing dog she doesn't know but when I shout her she stops and sits :-)

As has been said, it is one of those topics that gets "recycled" when new members join or new owners are looking for advice, and as long as we all give informative, constructive replies & don't force opinions, every ones a winner! lol

Personally, as in the other topic, I let my 9 year old husky offlead on the beach or woodland paths etc as he's too old to wander far, he just strolls along at "Diesel's pace" but the others?? Not a chance! :P

There's a group of huskies near me (non members of here) who meet up at the park and let them off the lead. I warned them about it but apparantly they chose not to listen and one day one of them ran off and got hit by a car. He survived but funnily enough they don't meet up for off lead antics anymore.

My husky has done great off lead an I would sometimes take her outside off the lead. But beware they are unpredictable. One day my girl ran off, and thankfully I was able to catch her. She is on the lead at all times now.