Frustrated!

Chula

So a friend of mine just told me that my puppy nips because I don't hit her in the nose.

I said that doesn't work with her because she gets more excited and thinks I am playing. What works for her is to say no bite, then ignore her. And if she doesn't stop, she gets time out. He said if I pop her in the nose enough she will learn, suggesting that by ignoring it I am being irresponsible.

I hate being made to feel like I don't know my dog, or I don't know what works for her, or that I'm just not trying hard enough. It honestly makes me feel like crying because I am trying SO hard.

I will not worry so much Vlad stop his nips when he was 6 months old and he  was like a minni donky  we  ignore him he have is nauthgy palce and with hard work he finely get the masage  but i still  not can`t not make him to understend is not pleasent to jump  on people  and in the end of the day husky do get very excited....

I will not worry so much Vlad stop his nips when he was 6 months old and he  was like a minni donky  we  ignore him he have is nauthgy palce and with hard work he finely get the masage  but i still  not can`t not make him to understend is not pleasent to jump  on people  and in the end of the day husky do get very excited....

Your friend is showing ignorance.  Dogs should never be hit especially when in training.  You are doing the right things to train her.  Your friend will be one of those owners of a dog at some point that bit someone...like we say it is not the breeds but bad owners.  I would like for your friend to hit Vader in the nose for nipping he would be missing a hand if not at least a finger or two.  That is what happens when you hit a dog.  They never forget! 

Sorry this is a subject I feel very strong about.  Your friend was probably told to do that because someones dog it worked on.....till that dog bites someone.  Sorry.

luka nipped til he was 6 months old. it sucked and drove me crazy but we got past it with the i'm going to ignore you until you stop biting me method! lol takes time and time again with no progress then one day he stopped. if he gets riled up and accidentally puts my hand in his mouth he automatically opens it without any pressure and licks my hand. :) so proud

my point is you'll get there with the RIGHT training, you know what works and hitting your dog in the nose isn't and could actually damage her sense of smell.

It just bothers me when people think I'm not trying or lazy or spoiling her.

OH would pop her on the nose too if I'd let him, but I've brought him around to calming her down on the leash. We've been using the short leash in the house and its helping with tantrums. She still has them but they don't last as long. But if you pop her on the nose during a tantrum or touch her at all it escalates into a game for her. She gets told "off" if she won't listen I grab the leash, wait for her to lay down, then when she's calm I drop the leash and she gets a "good girl". I wish my friend came over and witnessed the fallout from popping her on the face.

I agree hitting just makes them scared, but small taps or pops on the nose don't make her scared they make her excited which has the opposite affect of getting her to stop mouthing. Even holding her muzzle closed gets her riled up.

If you wish to keep her as a friend keep off the subject of dogs.

Otherwise ditch her. She'll only drag you down.