How To Stop Balto From Running

CARRINGTON

Balto has lately decided that when he is going to be put in time out and knows he is going to time out he runs. We don't chase but it drives me nuts!!! What can we do to stop him from running or when he does something and he runs put him on the leash and when he acts up again to then put him in time out with the leash?

If I were a betting type person, and I'm not, I'd bet that Balto does not like "time out".  Is "time out" sort of a punishment for deeds of ill?  Why is he put into "time out"?  Where is "time out" located? And finally, what exactly is "time out"?  I'm serious with the questions.  If I better understand what the trigger is, I may be able give you some ideas.  And I think the trigger may be "time out".

If I were a betting type person, and I'm not, I'd bet that Balto does not like "time out".  Is "time out" sort of a punishment for deeds of ill?  Why is he put into "time out"?  Where is "time out" located? And finally, what exactly is "time out"?  I'm serious with the questions.  If I better understand what the trigger is, I may be able give you some ideas.  And I think the trigger may be "time out".

Yes he is put in time out when he tries to go after the cat (we think he is trying to play with her, topic of another thread I posted) so we put him in the bathroom (which is the only secluded room we really have with a door that he cannot tear anything up. Time out is where he is put for a brief period of time or until he calms down (he may whine for longer then expected to be in there but we don't let him out until he is quiet). He is also put in there when he will not stop biting (less of a problem now, except if we are training and he just really wants the treats).

It sounds like he doesn't like the 'time-outs!'

I don't really have any advice as I haven't experienced it before, but think of it this way:

Imagine you are a mischievous puppy. Would you allow somebody to put you in 'time out' (which you do NOT like!), or would you run around to evade said person and therefore the time out??

IMO, I wouldn't attach the leash to him when he's being bad (or use it to bring him to the time-out room). Because, then, he might associate the leash as being a bad thing...which, you know, isn't what you want. 

It sounds like he doesn't like the 'time-outs!'

I don't really have any advice as I haven't experienced it before, but think of it this way:

Imagine you are a mischievous puppy. Would you allow somebody to put you in 'time out' (which you do NOT like!), or would you run around to evade said person and therefore the time out??

IMO, I wouldn't attach the leash to him when he's being bad (or use it to bring him to the time-out room). Because, then, he might associate the leash as being a bad thing...which, you know, isn't what you want. 

I think he is broken... This morning I told him no for bothering a sleepy cat and he put himself in time out