Is He Trying To Play With The Cat?

CARRINGTON

I know huskies have a huge prey drive which is why they are never left alone!!! However, when Balto sees or hears the cat he runs over to her and either a) jumps as high as he can trying to reach her in her cat tower (almost broke it once) or will jump up where she is and will sniff her and wag his tail (like he would if he was with another dog). We tell him no and would put him in time out. Sometimes he just likes to sit there and watch her and at times whines while wagging his tail when he can't be near her (kind of what he did at puppy class because he wanted to play). There have been times where they are baby gated in separate rooms but the cat has serious separation problems so will go to the gate and cry just so someone can be with her Balto will see her and then look like he is going to pounce ( he is then put in time out). There has been twice where my cat (being unintelligent) has gone through the bars of the baby gate or jumped down from her

Tower just so she could be next to me and Balto has chased her and if he wanted to kill her he could have but just pinned her let her up she ran he chased and she jumped on something and he went to try as well but with tail wagging both times. Does it seem like he wants to play or actually eat her?

Good question!  I am going out on a limb here and saying he just wants to play.  However since he in not in the play stance it is difficult to tell.  Rori does some of the same things and has pinned my small female cat to the floor and other times got her a taste as she ran past her.  I would continue to do what you are doing to be on the safe side.  All of mine chase the cats when they are running but Rory is obsessed with the cats....not good.

Good question!  I am going out on a limb here and saying he just wants to play.  However since he in not in the play stance it is difficult to tell.  Rori does some of the same things and has pinned my small female cat to the floor and other times got her a taste as she ran past her.  I would continue to do what you are doing to be on the safe side.  All of mine chase the cats when they are running but Rory is obsessed with the cats....not good.

Balto always seems to be obsessed with her, but his tail is wagging (not sure if there is a wagging I should beware of) but he also doesn't have other animals to play with. At my OH's mothers house he will just sniff the cats and will let one rub against him and when he gets excited she scratches him with her claws and runs off. Cheyenne just wants nothing to do with him but his tail is usually wagging except when he sees her in between the gate then he puts his head down, points tail and chases (he cannot get to her since they are baby gated) but I just want to see if this is playing or if he is really trying to hurt her.

We are wanting to make the cat her own room to go in with toys, litter, food, tower, etc. but she has such terrible separation anxiety that she wants to be out with us.

I can relate to this. In fact when you're describing Balto I feel like I'm reading about Dime x) Except I don't have a cat... which means my boy's being friendly with stray cats (which is even weirder because the cats are NOT friendly). Knowing my boy, I won't say he would definitely kill a cat when he got ahold of one but I can't guarantee that he will always be friendly with them either. I think this is what you have to keep in mind. Balto might only want to play atm so the answer to your question "is he trying to play with the cat?" is a YES. However, I do think you should continue supervising him in the house around the cat :) 

My dog does similar things when it comes to the cat. She has never hurt him and she jumps at him and everything, barks at him, but the cat is disiterested. I know that she has no interest in hurting the cat but I am always cautious and they do not have acess to each other when I am not home. In fact, the one that normally gets hurt is the dog, as cat is not afraid to put her in her place.

I am pretty convinced that Hurley will never hurt the cat. For one, she is food aggressive but will sit and let the cat come near her while she is eating. She does not growl at him, but she will growl at other animals that come near her food. But, even though I am convinced that they are BFFs now, I will still never leave them alone together.

They will never be left alone together. I just didn't want to be scared he was trying to eat her if he was trying to play (I don't want to punish him for being playful) however when he gets too crazy and is about to break things he gets put in time outs

Balto always seems to be obsessed with her, but his tail is wagging (not sure if there is a wagging I should beware of) but he also doesn't have other animals to play with. At my OH's mothers house he will just sniff the cats and will let one rub against him and when he gets excited she scratches him with her claws and runs off. Cheyenne just wants nothing to do with him but his tail is usually wagging except when he sees her in between the gate then he puts his head down, points tail and chases (he cannot get to her since they are baby gated) but I just want to see if this is playing or if he is really trying to hurt her.

We are wanting to make the cat her own room to go in with toys, litter, food, tower, etc. but she has such terrible separation anxiety that she wants to be out with us.

It would depend on how he is wagging his tail n how his body stance is etc? Not all tail wagging is happy wagging

I know what people will think when I say this but ill say it anyway Sasha and Delta are left alone in the house when we go out but Delta has a few hiding places Sasha can't get to eg under the fish tank, in the box in our room, or on top of our draws. In saying that when we are home they chase each other around the house if Sasha gets too close Delta will tap her on the nose without her claws out if Sasha doesn't listen to that she will do it again with the claws out. Delta is the one that hurts Sasha, Delta has put three tiny holes in Sashas nose I don't know if that's why Sasha doesn't try and hurt her or not that was in the first few weeks of them meeting each other more then 4years ago now and they have always been allowed out with each other.

Like others have said though you do have to be careful as you said they do have high prey drive. I can't exactly comment on whether Balto is playing or not because Sasha is a bit of a strange husky with the way she is with smaller animals.

I agree with Nix (if I may call you that) not all wagging is good.

It would depend on how he is wagging his tail n how his body stance is etc? Not all tail wagging is happy wagging

I will try to get a video if I think of it when he is trying to go for the cat, and then try to upload it on here (which I am still trying to figure out how to do)