Want To Start Pulling Training

Jemzy

Hi folks!  Ive had my husky Nicko for almost 2 years now (its his 2nd birthday tmorrow :D ).  I want to start training him to pull....possibly on my bike, I have NO IDEA where to even start tho.

Will prob try on my bike at first (is that a good idea?) but I really want a scooter when I can afford it.  Can anyone give me advice on where to start...what I will need etc?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

www.urbanmushing.com.  this is the website for the SoCal urban mushing group but they have a pretty good explanation of the commands. also look at Sled Dog Central. lots of good articles there.

Thanks...will have a look now :)

So it seems teaching him go, gee, haw, on by and easy are a good place to start...any suggestions of how to do this? should I do it when walking him?

I just saw a vid of clicker training with the dog touching his owners right or left hand on command....it that the first step to left and right training?

OOOoooorrr shall I just connect him up and see what happens? lol ^_^

Sorry if im being dumb....I really have no idea and want to learn!

when I started working with Ice Blink, first she learned the difference between a harness and a collar. Pull on the harness, walk on a collar. Then on our walks when we did any kind of turn, stop, or started to run, I said the command that was associated with it. She picked it up pretty quick, but Im sure doing some specific training would help.

Have a look at this

http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html

It's an alternative to front pulling.

You control direction.

and the dog can pull you along easily.

My boy Darwin had me up to 25mph on one of these

It's great fun on the bike. Storm picked up Haw and Gee very quickly, just by sensing which way the bike was turning and associating it with the command I was giving. Hike for go he seemed to know instinctively. The two commands he struggles with is WOOOA, especially in icy conditions when he sees this command as an invitation to have some fun, and GO ON BY when passing another dog - sometimes he does, but as often as not he cannot resist the urge to stop and greet.

I've only had one accident to date, when I hit a pothole on a forest track and went over the handle bars as the bike sumersaulted.

I have bought a PAWTREKKER, but have yet to collect it from my sister's place in Newcastle. I cannot wait to pick this up!

post-9011-0-83079700-1365253125_thumb.jppost-9011-0-64092700-1365253153_thumb.jp

best way to start your commands is during your walking when turning left say what you want to use for going left same with right and stop etc etc and praise when done... This will make life a lot easier..

Have a look at this

http://www.walky.co.uk/walky-dog-range.html

It's an alternative to front pulling.

You control direction.

and the dog can pull you along easily.

My boy Darwin had me up to 25mph on one of these

That looks fab!!  I might try this cause it seems like I would have loads more control.  Thanks!!

...and here is the end result - we've just done over 6 miles down the local canal tow paths, and it's quite warm out there compared to recently.

Ahhh Storm is absolutly gorgeous and he looks so happy!! <3  I cant wait to have a go!!!

best way to start your commands is during your walking when turning left say what you want to use for going left same with right and stop etc etc and praise when done... This will make life a lot easier..

Yeah I will def do this for now while im saving funds to get some pulling equipment for my bike , thanks :D

start off at a short distance and leave him wanting more, increase the distance slowly , it is great fun we bikejor and use the rig, feel safer on rig or bike, tried a scooter but didnt really like it. Have fun xxxxxx.  Once he gets to know the turn commands if he dosent like pulling have someone on a bike  or running at a distance ahead for him to chase after.

start off at a short distance and leave him wanting more, increase the distance slowly , it is great fun we bikejor and use the rig, feel safer on rig or bike, tried a scooter but didnt really like it. Have fun xxxxxx.  Once he gets to know the turn commands if he dosent like pulling have someone on a bike  or running at a distance ahead for him to chase after.

Thanks Rose.  I think he will pull ok, when he was younger my other half took him out with the bike once just to see what he did and he loved it....I wasnt brave enough cause he just held his lead.  Im gonna try with some kind of proper set up tho.....and get myself a helmet! lol

Sooo ive started teaching Nicko gee and haw (touching the correct hand with his nose). He seems to be picking it up really quickly! Our training sessions dont last long tho cause he gets all excited n jumps about all over the place lol

Ive just ordered one of these, just wondered if i need a particular type of harness? nickos is padded and the connector part comes up behind his shoulders (nothing round his neck).  Just wondering cause when ive seen pics of other harnesses the connector bit is at the back....presume thats for pulling in front though?

Ive just ordered one of these, just wondered if i need a particular type of harness? nickos is padded and the connector part comes up behind his shoulders (nothing round his neck).  Just wondering cause when ive seen pics of other harnesses the connector bit is at the back....presume thats for pulling in front though?

You want one with good strong connectors.

and yeah, the ring in the middle of the back is for pulling.

Less strain on the neck.

The back ring is good for the walky dog.

'X'-back harness are designed for pulling.

You can also get a Julius K9 harness that has a ring at the back

They are very sturdy.

Thats great thank you.  The customer advisor on the site just recommended this one for the walky dog....

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/deluxe-shoulder-harness.html

any thoughts?  If I need him to have a back ring then i will def need a new one,  I will post a pic of him in his current harness laster when its time for walkies so you can see what ive got already if thats ok?

Thats great thank you.  The customer advisor on the site just recommended this one for the walky dog....

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-harness/deluxe-shoulder-harness.html

any thoughts?  If I need him to have a back ring then i will def need a new one,  I will post a pic of him in his current harness laster when its time for walkies so you can see what ive got already if thats ok?

thats a very good harness to use xx

Edited by Leyka&Diva