Small Dog Owners

Mia-Blue

I agree!! I have a small dog, (rat terrier, Isabella) and she doesn't get to go out much anymore. She has severe anxiety and will bark aggressively at anyone who is not immediate family (people and dogs). Isabella is ALWAYS leashed, can't trust her not to be. She will charge anyone. Its to the point when we have visitors, they come in and she goes outside, and vice versa. We watch her very closely.

I wish more small dog owners would get the hint. Its not cute when its growling and barking at me, just because its tiny. Its not funny when its biting my shoe, correct their behavior. If a larger dog this, there would be a community uproar to have the dog put down because its dangerous.

Agreed :)

Though people with small dogs cop the "get a REAL dog" and "rat" comments so I think change is needed on both sides of the fence.

I agree all dog owners need to take responsibility of their dogs and how they behave around rather dogs and people.

The other day I was out and there were a few dog walkers with their dogs off lead, one of these dogs ran up to everyone in a very friendly manner. However this dog completely ignored its owner and when an elderly man came into the field with his on lead dog it was bombarded by this other dog. The poor man got himself in a right state, his old dog was not sociable at all and went for the loose dog. The owner came running over all cross and was unable to see how his friendly dog was in the wrong. The elderly man and his dog left, i was sad to see how upset he was over the incident, when in my mind he did nothing wrong, his dog was on a lead!

My neighbor has a chihuahua puppy (prolly weighs about 1-2lbs. I was taking out my garbage one day and that little dog ran up on me and started growling. It was actually kind of cute lol (the dog WAS on a lead, I live in and aprtment complex and their front door is really close to mine)

But anyways, much like what others have said, they should always be leashed. We found that the neighbors dog and Hurley cannot be together. Hurley tried to eat her. What would stop my dog from doing that to an unleashed stranger dog?

Charlie is a little dog who is straight back on his lead if he chooses not to listen but others are not so good. Though when out last week noisiest on hill was a little un who ended up muzzled very sensible owners. Solo just looks at them .

Big dogs aren't allowed to get away with running up to other dogs uninvited? They certainly do around here!  :angry: I also don't understand why a small dog should be leashed for everyone's safety? I don't mind any dog off lead as long as it stays away from mine. 

Agreed.

When I volunteered at the shelter 95% of the dogs everybody had trouble with were the small dogs. I don't know if it was the way they were raised, or what, but there was this little pug there I didn't like. The stupid thing kept on biting me and all the other volunteers - we were relieved to see it go (to another owner)

And, also, I HATE it when people pick up their dogs when a bigger dog is approaching them (clearly in a friendly manner!). Like...why!?!!?

I was at a pet store the other day, and this lady picks up her little white dog and mutters "Oh no, not another big dog!". I just shot her a dirty look, and then felt a little smug when other people commented on how relaxed and gentle Suka was!

I think the majority of 'bad attitude' towards small dogs would disappear if people treated their small dogs like they were big dogs. Sure, small dogs aren't really much of a danger in comparison, but they are still REALLY annoying when not properly trained! Yap...yap yap yap yap yap yapy yap yap yap....

I agree with Elyse. I don't baby Cloud. He did have a slight case of 'big dog aggression', but it seems to have been nipped in the bud. He came with us to a meet-up in Michigan and played great with a lab, aussie, three other huskies, Abby's two huskies, and Yuki as well as other random dogs that were at the park. That being said, I never walk him off leash. He and Yuki are treated equally, both leashed, both must sit when greeting people on walks, and both are expected to behave in the same way. My small dog doesn't act like a wimp because I don't treat him like he is one ;)

I wish everyone with lil pups would see this.  We have one in-particular lil one in our neighborhood that annoys the heck out of Rusty.   When he is on a walk this little one runs out of his yard and into the street yipping and snapping at Rusty.  Rusty never paid much attention to it in the past.  Since he was attacked in October he gets nasty with it.  The owners have witnessed it getting under him and aggravating Rusty.  The owner tells us to kick it in the head and it will go home.  WRONG I am not kicking your dog you should keep it in your own yard because if my dog gets a hold of it then he will be ticked off.  We do what we can to keep his dog safe he should do the same.

I wish everyone with lil pups would see this.  We have one in-particular lil one in our neighborhood that annoys the heck out of Rusty.   When he is on a walk this little one runs out of his yard and into the street yipping and snapping at Rusty.  Rusty never paid much attention to it in the past.  Since he was attacked in October he gets nasty with it.  The owners have witnessed it getting under him and aggravating Rusty.  The owner tells us to kick it in the head and it will go home.  WRONG I am not kicking your dog you should keep it in your own yard because if my dog gets a hold of it then he will be ticked off.  We do what we can to keep his dog safe he should do the same.

Now if that was a big dog running around unleaded behaving like that it would be seen as a dangerous dog, its not fair, all dogs regardless of size should be leased in public especially if they are aggressive towards other dogs/people. I appreciate small dogs don't cause the damage that large dogs cause, but aggression is aggression in my opinion

ImI'm sorry to hear Rusty was attacked, i hope this small dog is managed better in the future before it comes to any harm. What irresponsible owners suggesting you kick it! No wonder it behaves this way, have you reported the owners? I'd be tempted to, I dread to think how the handle the dog behind closed doors :(

Now if that was a big dog running around unleaded behaving like that it would be seen as a dangerous dog, its not fair, all dogs regardless of size should be leased in public especially if they are aggressive towards other dogs/people. I appreciate small dogs don't cause the damage that large dogs cause, but aggression is aggression in my opinion

ImI'm sorry to hear Rusty was attacked, i hope this small dog is managed better in the future before it comes to any harm. What irresponsible owners suggesting you kick it! No wonder it behaves this way, have you reported the owners? I'd be tempted to, I dread to think how the handle the dog behind closed doors :(

We have reported it and the owner.  Animal control wants proof.  They want us to take a photo of the dog messing with Rusty.  Well you know as well as I do that when you are trying to control your dog the last thing you have time to do is take a pic.  It just amazes me the rules for holding someone accountable. 

We have reported it and the owner.  Animal control wants proof.  They want us to take a photo of the dog messing with Rusty.  Well you know as well as I do that when you are trying to control your dog the last thing you have time to do is take a pic.  It just amazes me the rules for holding someone accountable. 

You could perhaps video tape it? Might be easier to do, you could hold the video camera in one hand while trying to control Rusty with the other??