Does Anyone Else Have An Abnormal Fear Of The Dentist??

Jay

Ok so I had really bad migraines the last few days and today it was so bad that I had to go to urgent care. I noticed my mouth was bothering me too and come to find out I have an abscess and a bad infection so I have to be on meds for a week.

I have been putting it off for a couple years because I need a root canal but I am just so scared. Just to go in for a consultation makes me nauseous and break out into sweats. I know I have to go now especially since the OH is going to make me go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't FEAR going but I hate it when they do that scraping thing with the sharp hook.

That hurts like hell. :eek:

If it's severe, you could always talk to your main doctor about taking a mild sedative before you go. It was discussed for me because I have a fear of certain doctors and flat out refused to let them touch me. We didn't end up doing the sedative, but they did take extra steps to assure I could handle it. Some times you just have to let them know so they are aware. :)

I don't FEAR going but I hate it when they do that scraping thing with the sharp hook.

That hurts like hell. :eek:

Ugh that's what I hate the most! Last time I went they really didn't care I was in pain the whole time. And they didn't use laughing gas and they wouldn't put me under for the root canal

Ugh that's what I hate the most! Last time I went they really didn't care I was in pain the whole time. And they didn't use laughing gas and they wouldn't put me under for the root canal

Ouch. . . (understatement :()

ouch I'm glad I don't have to attend dentist appointments anymore... I stopped going there since they took my braces out last year. They do inject some kind of a sedative to my gum so that I won't feel pain but the injection itself hurts like hell!  :unsure: I do think it'll be wise for you to see the dentist right now though :( don't want the infection to get worse...

Take a friend with you (preferably bigger ,lol) I have a friend who is terfified so I went with her, talked constantly and quietly held her in chair in the waiting room). Also went in to room with her to hold hand. Shd still doesn't like it but will go by herself now (apparently my holding her hand so hard hurt more than the dentist :)).

I'm off to the dentist in the morning, half of one filling in top left back tooth has fallen away (not bothering me & I wouldn't really go for that alone, I'd wait for my check-up) but the whole filling has fallen out of my top right back tooth, taking the front wall with it, so I have a jagged edge cutting into my cheek :angry:  a little sore but manageable, though I know this needs urgent attention. I'm not bothered about the dentist, never have been, even though I know this will probably be an extraction of a back tooth.

Around 15 yrs ago, I was asked as part of a training exercise, to go to the local dental training hospital for my check-up where they asked if a student could replace a filling, only a small one. I said yes, ok, he was going to be supervised & they have to learn somehow - remember, I said replace the filling - 2 1/2 hrs I was in that chair with my mouth clamped open for him to do it!! It hurt to shut my jaw at the end :o

I have had root canal treatment done too which again, never phased me.

I think it stems back to my first recollection of my dentist; I had a funny tooth & it needed treatment, I remember going to sleep holding my Mum's hand & when I woke up, I was holding the dentist's hand and my recollection is thinking " wasn't that nice of him to hold my hand with Mum while I was asleep"!! :rolleyes:  So, since then, I've never been bothered about the dentist, no matter what they have done to my teeth! :P

No, I am a regular there. :D I used to be very scared but now I am fine, I've a nice dentist who gives people the look as if he came from the Godfather movies and his assistant is also nice. I've bad teeth, so that's the no. 1 place where I spend my money. I never pay less than 20 €. Last tie I went there with a 100 banknote and they almost never have change, and I commented it that I rather bring more because I know I'll always pay.

One thing I learned thanks to a horrible smell from one of my teeth - never put off a visit to the dentist's, maybe I wouldn't have one dead tooth in my mouth and some more money in my pocket...

I haven't been in years! It's the smell for me ... and that drill! I hear it and I'm clutching the chair for dear life.  As a child, I had to go so many times and have so many teeth removed and fillings put in that I think I'm scarred haha

Cant say i am a fan of the dentist and i also dont go enough! (need to find one here actually!) I get high calcium build up for some reason which needs to be cleaned once a year atleast really. 

I dont mind the stuff being done to the actual teeth its the needles i hate :o