New Husky Mom And New To The Forum

Ripleysmomma

Good morning everyone!! My name is Shannon and I am a new Husky mommy. Several months ago (ok so closer to 9 months ago) I decided since I am now a home owner and have room (I really hope 5.4 Acres is enough room) that we needed to add a furry family member. I have human kiddos and feathered ones so the next step was a furry kiddo. So I discussed it with the human kiddos (11 and 4) and we as a family decided what kind of dog we wanted. We made a list of different breeds and narrowed it down based on which breed would be the best fit for our family. We did a ton of research and decided a Siberian Husky would be a great fit for us. The next step was to find a puppy (this was a challenge hense the 9 months later we finally have a Husky). I was searching local ads and found a wonderful woman who has been a Husky owner/Breeder for many years. I called her up and arranged to meet with her. I would like to say I picked my Husky but in reality he picked me. When I walked into the room where all 9 (biggest litter she's ever had) were curled up together, One little not so steady on his feet yet puppy walked up to me and sat at my feet. I bent down and picked him up. He snuggled close to my chest and that was it... that was all it took.... he was my baby... he was the one I was bringing him. Which was probably better anyway because I could of never picked just one to bring home. After that we did several home visits. She encouraged us to go once or twice a week to play with our puppy so he was use to us and it wasn't such a traumatic experience when it was time to come home.

So here we are with an almost 8 week (in 3 days) Siberian Husky named Ripley-Kodiak. Just so you know mom (me) paid for the puppy however I did not have any say in his name. My 11 and 4 year old made that decision on their own. Noah 11, chose Ripley from a book he found in the library (you would be correct if you are thinking "Ripley's Believe it or Not") and Hayden 4 was watching some tv show and saw the name Kodiak. They could not agree on 1 name so we have Ripley-Kodiak.

That is the adventure of Ripley-Kodiak so far. Any advice is absolutely appreciated as I have had some pretty high strung dogs such as Pitbulls but I have never had a Husky. I have done a ton of research however I think the best advice you can get is from people who have experience and have "gone through" stuff with their own Husky.  Thanks for reading my babble and Thank You in Advance for any advice.

Shannon aka Ripley's Momma

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much. I think having a Siberian Husky will be a great adventure and challenge. How long does it generally take for their ears to stand up? It does seem as if some days Ripley's ears stand up other days they don't.

It can take up to 12 weeks, sometimes longer , don't play with them tho as it will soften the cartilage n they will stay soft

HAHA YES Mazz!! Puppy Breath is terrible.. My kids say it smells like old coffee lol... And good to know about his ears.. the kids play with his tail more than anything, they like the white on the tip of his all black tail lol... Ripley is my baby... I have had him 2 weeks and love him to death already....

Oh do any of you know of a good pet insurance program?.. I have seen them and want to make sure my baby stays as healthy as he can. I figure I have health insurance for my human kiddos and feathery kiddos, got to have it for my furry kiddo too.

aw, welcome to husky owners, Ripley-Kodiak is gorgeous! :wub: Look forward to seeing him grow up around here. Sounds like he made the right choice choosing your family; not only have you done your homework but you have joined the biggest husky owners site going who will enjoy "reading your babble" :P

The new pic of Ripley-Kodiak (taken like 10 minutes ago). That's my baby big paws lol

welcome to our big husky family :D Ripley's gorgeous :wub: I like his mask :D 

btw some says the size of a puppy's paw would determine how big he would be when he grows up ;) 

I have seen his dad and grandfather, and mom if that determines how big he is going to get.. OH BOY!!! 5.4 Acres might not be enough space lol... they are all pretty huge. His mom is read and white and dad is kinda dark like him. He went out in the nice Spring (finally!!) weather today and played with the boys for the first time... I don't let him go too far since he's not had his parvo booster yet.. the vet says another 2 weeks ... just scared for him to go other places  until then .. have heard so many horor stories.

Ok y'all here's a good one for you... and maybe I am just not really up to speed on this part of my dog. The breeder stated the puppies were AKC registered but when I look at the Application it says NAPR (North American Purebred Registry. Does this mean Ripley is not going to be AKC Registered as the breeder claimed or is this an AKC recognized Registry?