Puppy Aggression

winterchillz

Good evening everyone!

First of all I want to apologize that my English isn't that good, but I'll do my best to explain what's the problem we have.

In February, my mom got a Siberian husky. By now he's 3 months old and he's adorable little puppy, however - Ares is quite aggressive towards my sister. She's 8 years old and their game might begin simply by just gentle bites or chasing around the house, but it soon becomes a struggle for my sister to escape from the dog as it's literally biting till blood.

When we try to separate them or show Ares that what he's doing is wrong by gently tapping him on the nose, he only starts growing and biting us. I can tell he does that with aggression as he's showing his teeth and gums like the angry wolves do (probably not the best comparison but you get the idea). He still has his calf's teeth which make it an absolute pain.

He's also doing the same when he's eating and you try to approach him. He takes a defensive stand and crouches down a little bit while growing. Trying to get his water bow or touching his food results in a lightning bite.

I guess his behaviour while he eats is normal, however this night he shocked us and we're not completely sure if his behaviour will change in future: He was sleeping on the bed when my sister sat down beside him and pet him gently. He suddenly woke up and bit her all over her right cheek; The wounds are pretty bad. He never did anything like that and we're worried that we can't afford keeping him in the house if this happens again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I hope he will outgrow this and become a nice dog.

Regards,

Dimitar

Hey and welcome! What I am seeing is a pup that has taken over and needs some boundaries set. Have you heard of NILIF [Nothing in Life is Free]? This would be a great start. If you haven't heard of it, do a simple online search and a bunch of stuff should pop up on it. Everyone in the family should use NILIF, including your little sister. It also may be helpful to discourage horse play until he understands the rules and you have the aggression under control. When he does bite and snap, try using a different method such as gating him off into a area by himself. You want to tell him no of course, but it sounds like the nose tapping is just making the situation worse. In fact, try keeping a leash on him at all times, this enables you to get control of him right as he's doing the behavior [as well as prevent a bite] and then giving him the NO correction and removing him to the other area for a time out. 

NILIF will help greatly with the food aggression as well, but of course...if you still have question, feel free to ask. My Rolyx had a bad case himself when I first get him, now my other dog can walk right up to him while eating and nothing. 

Welcome and hope this helps a little :)

For food aggression you need to start feeding him by hand. Just little bits at a time until he gets used to your hand. Then feed him small amounts on the floor. Always make him sit and wait before every handful of food. Once he is comfortable eating from the floor with you around, try putting small amounts in his bowl while you are near.

I'd also work on the "leave it" or "drop it",command.

Hey there!

Thank you for the great advices! I've heard of the NILIF program, but never really tried to put it to work. So far I've only been trying to instruct him to sit or come when I call his name and then rewarding him with a little bit of food. This is working great so far.

My trouble would be to get a hold of his aggression when he's chewing on something. Today, for example, he managed to get one of the socks and he ran away with it. When I finally caught him (we had bad experience with chewing on socks as he nearly swallows them), I tried to take it away; He started growing and eventually bit my finger which even broke my nail and nearly ripped off some meat! A bad move on my side followed, in a burst of anger on my side (getting angered is bad in my opinion, but, oh boy, it hurts) I slapped him and then immobilized him as I held his body and grabbed him on the back side of his neck in order to get the sock away. I closed him in the other room for 15 minutes but he just kept on whining and scratching on the door. Do you think that giving him food of my hand or spending time with him while he's eating (as he has the very same behaviour) would help overcoming this?

Thanks again!

D.

PS: The "leave it" and "drop it" commands are useless when he's chewing on something  :(

Edit: I think I posted the thread on the wrong board, moderators, feel free to move it if you decide.

try to not get frustrated n hurt your puppy , he is after all only a puppy and is still learning , i had issues with my male as a pup stealing socks (he swallowed one too) but i just made sure i kept all socks away and if he did get one , i didn't chase him , i got a treat or a toy and i traded the sock for something better (in his eyes) , as he is still young it will take a while for him to learn such commands and leave and drop just be calm and consistent in your training :) 

sorry i cant help with the food aggression however 

BingBlaze,

Thanks for the answer! I usually let him go on chewing on my fingers without minding it or just try to correct him by saying "No" and moving my arm if his playfulness becomes a pain. Indeed, I second that getting frustrated is bad and I do my best not to. I'll try using the method you mentioned, fingers crossed it's going to work!

Thanks!

D.

BingBlaze,

Thanks for the answer! I usually let him go on chewing on my fingers without minding it or just try to correct him by saying "No" and moving my arm if his playfulness becomes a pain. Indeed, I second that getting frustrated is bad and I do my best not to. I'll try using the method you mentioned, fingers crossed it's going to work!

Thanks!

D.

try to not let him chew on you either , always replace with a toy , no didnt work with my girl but a firm AHAH noise did with her :)