Puppy Training...

Hello Everyone, 

I have a question regarding experiences and timing with puppy training.  

Kira has only been with us for a few days so I am certain that all training takes some time.  Right now since she is only 12 weeks old we are trying to take her outside to relieve herself every 2 hours if shes awake and running but if she is sleeping during the day we have noticed she can hold it atleast 3.5 hours.  Overnight she is in the crate we set our alarms every two hours to let her out and she does seem to go every time we go out.  So far we try to reward her with a treat but unless its kibble she ignores it.   so most of the reward is verbal praise and a couple of pieces of kibble.  

I guess my major question is the crate training how can I get her more comfortable with being in the crate at night. We do leave pieces of kibble in there when shes not looking so that she sees it as a positive place and she will at times go in there during the day but she comes out almost immediately.  Most of her time is spent next to or under the kitchen table...although I try not to let her stay under it. At night she just howls and whines when she is locked in. We basically let her cry it out. I am just worried about the neighbour when she gets older and her tone becomes louder.

As she is becoming more comfortable with us I am finding she is becoming more nippy and everything she tries to chew on.  We say no, and hand her a rubber kong to chew on.  we have already taken away a furry football chew toy because she is starting to tear it with her teeth.   Is there a way to deal with this nipping/biting phase?

Thanks in advance

Sam

ignore her when she gets to nippy. honestly, my boy was VERY mouthy until about 6 months old. it was a nightmare but with consistent training methods we resolved it. i gave him a firm no turned my back to him and ignored him. if he kept on i would leave the room. after months of this he left my hands alone.

as for crating, i'm really no help because if i'm at home they would throw a fit if i left them in the crate. they are crated when i go to work during the day though and i learned Luka whined at first and now he could care less. when i am about to leave he goes in his crate automatically and is content.

good luck with your new addition!

Yeah, unfortunately the nipping thing is typical husky puppy!  There are some good threads on here that give some tips with nipping.  Mine was also very bad with that until he was at least 6 months old.  If they start nipping, you can try yelping or saying OUCH real loud.  You can also try ignoring her when she gets nippy and stop playing.  Also, you can try replacing your hand/clothes, etc with her toy.  It takes ALOT of time and patience with this, so don't expect her to stop right away.

For the crate training, I never crated them while I was home, except for sleeping at night, and then I only crated them at night until they were fully potty trained (around 5/6 months old).  At night they were pretty good with keeping quiet, but I had the crate in my room near my bed so he could see me.  I always had a safe toy in there with him, and would give him treats when he got inside his crate. 

When I would go to leave they would scream bloody murder though.  I just kept trying to make it a fun place for them to call their own, with plenty of toys and treats.  When you put them in the crate, don't make a big deal about it, and the same when you let them out.  Even though they will be excited, wait for them to calm down before you play.  If they think that they will get play time or attention as soon as they get out of their crate, they will always want out!

It takes a long time to get those thing though, maybe 3-4 months!  A lot of people get discouraged that their pup isn't potty trained or crate trained in a few weeks.  Some people get lucky and their pups do.  For example, Nikko wasn't potty trained until he was about 5 months old, but Yukon only took about 2-3 weeks. 

I went against what i was told and i dont leave aurora to cry. Reason is she never stopped crying.

For hours she went on and on.

So i sat in the kitchen a distance away from their crates in the dark playing on my phone.

Half hour and shes fast asleep and i go to bed.

No noise, no stress, and a numb bum lol

Yeah, unfortunately the nipping thing is typical husky puppy!  There are some good threads on here that give some tips with nipping.  Mine was also very bad with that until he was at least 6 months old.  If they start nipping, you can try yelping or saying OUCH real loud.  You can also try ignoring her when she gets nippy and stop playing.  Also, you can try replacing your hand/clothes, etc with her toy.  It takes ALOT of time and patience with this, so don't expect her to stop right away.

For the crate training, I never crated them while I was home, except for sleeping at night, and then I only crated them at night until they were fully potty trained (around 5/6 months old).  At night they were pretty good with keeping quiet, but I had the crate in my room near my bed so he could see me.  I always had a safe toy in there with him, and would give him treats when he got inside his crate. 

When I would go to leave they would scream bloody murder though.  I just kept trying to make it a fun place for them to call their own, with plenty of toys and treats.  When you put them in the crate, don't make a big deal about it, and the same when you let them out.  Even though they will be excited, wait for them to calm down before you play.  If they think that they will get play time or attention as soon as they get out of their crate, they will always want out!

It takes a long time to get those thing though, maybe 3-4 months!  A lot of people get discouraged that their pup isn't potty trained or crate trained in a few weeks.  Some people get lucky and their pups do.  For example, Nikko wasn't potty trained until he was about 5 months old, but Yukon only took about 2-3 weeks. 

i think the second one is easier. Luka took FOREVER to be potty trained and knox took a few weeks only.

@LittleLuka

I think the second one learns after the first one, maybe that's why potty training was quicker.  Yukon started going outside regularly after the first few days, but would have accidents, because he was a pup, but Nikko would just pee wherever he was at for the first several weeks.  Partly because I was a new doggie dad and missed some of the signs