Breed For Friends

Stormy

Friends of ours are looking into getting a dog. They are a couple of around 30 i think she may be slightly older. They live together and both work full time. 

We have already discouraged them from getting a husky or a mal and they have agreed they would not have the time for the amount of excersize they require.

He wants a rottweiler she wants something cute and cuddly.

They are looking into norwegian elkhounds so i have asked a friend of mine for info on those also if any of you know anything let me know.

So basically ideas on breeds, they dont want something that is to yappy he used to have two poodles (with his ex wife) and they yapped alot.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know elkhounds can be very much like a husky as they need alot of exercise and space to run off all their energy 

goingsolo's idea is very good as they maybe able to give them ideas of breeds that would suit there lifestyle  xx

No they dont want a poodle as i said he had them before and does not want them again.

sorry i thought you meant he didnt want anything small and yappy like toy poodle...which is why i mentioned standard poodle as they are a similar size if not bigger than a husky :D

I would recommend to look at shelters - usually mixed breeds are more 'balanced' than purebreds (atleast, that's what I heard.). For example, a GSD x a Husky may not have the high prey drive, and may be obedient like a GSD??

(Besides, there are many dogs out there that need homes!! :) )

But PLEASE ask them to avoid designer dogs like the plague. I wouldn't want to support the poor breeding practices they have...

My family that lives over seas own Elkhounds and this is what they have to say:

1) high prey drive as they are known for hunting (my first cousins killed on her pigs)

2) must have a lot of exercise

3) They HATE it when you are gone (even more then a husky, which I did not think was possible), my first cousin has one and when they first got her and left her alone for an hour she chewed through her crate and destroyed some furniture

4) Extremely good with kids

5) Independent and take awhile to train (not like a husky but can be)

6) They are a guard dog, so they bark a lot when people do come over

7) If you do not establish pack order with them or as my first cousin says train them with a TON of discipline they will become aggressive to other dogs/animals no matter how much socializing you give them because they are so pack oriented and WANT to be alpha

My family that lives over seas own Elkhounds and this is what they have to say:

1) high prey drive as they are known for hunting (my first cousins killed on her pigs)

2) must have a lot of exercise

3) They HATE it when you are gone (even more then a husky, which I did not think was possible), my first cousin has one and when they first got her and left her alone for an hour she chewed through her crate and destroyed some furniture

4) Extremely good with kids

5) Independent and take awhile to train (not like a husky but can be)

6) They are a guard dog, so they bark a lot when people do come over

7) If you do not establish pack order with them or as my first cousin says train them with a TON of discipline they will become aggressive to other dogs/animals no matter how much socializing you give them because they are so pack oriented and WANT to be alpha

This is great info!

How much exercise are they committed to giving it? That will help us narrow down the breeds...

And I HEARD greyhounds are called the 'quarter mile couch potato'. I'm assuming that means they are very calm in the house, but once let off lead (??) they want to run and run and run...and run.

EDIT: Oh, and if they don't want to spend the time and effort to exercise it, then I wouldn't recommend any working (or herding) breeds. Generally all breeds in the category NEED exercise and a job to do. I've heard of Border Collies herding children because they aren't given a 'job' to do or aren't given enough exercise!

From my own past experience they'd be good for a lab.  Generally labs are laid back and relaxed, don't require high levels of activity and are quite content to amuse themselves with a coke bottle, ball, milk jug or whatever's handy if they really do want some exercise. Typically they aren't prone to separation anxiety, again generally content to be own their own if you're not handy.  Generally not apt to take off and run - or at least not too far.  They tend to be "home bodies".

They do like to play, but fetch (because they were bread to retrieve) is a great way to burn off their energy without killing themselves.

Of course there exceptions to the rule, but of the 3 - 4 labs I've owned over the years, none of them were too far out of this description.  A couple who wanted to visit everyone in the neighbourhood; one who was excellent with children (and they generally are) but did not like strange adults (go figure!)

You have my suggestion there ... I think it would be worth taking a look at the "rescue" places to see what they think of them.

From my own past experience they'd be good for a lab.  Generally labs are laid back and relaxed, don't require high levels of activity and are quite content to amuse themselves with a coke bottle, ball, milk jug or whatever's handy if they really do want some exercise. Typically they aren't prone to separation anxiety, again generally content to be own their own if you're not handy.  Generally not apt to take off and run - or at least not too far.  They tend to be "home bodies".

They do like to play, but fetch (because they were bread to retrieve) is a great way to burn off their energy without killing themselves.

Of course there exceptions to the rule, but of the 3 - 4 labs I've owned over the years, none of them were too far out of this description.  A couple who wanted to visit everyone in the neighbourhood; one who was excellent with children (and they generally are) but did not like strange adults (go figure!)

You have my suggestion there ... I think it would be worth taking a look at the "rescue" places to see what they think of them.

my parents own an exception. that dog was insanely hyper. he's chilled out now that hes 3 years old but the first 2 years were a NIGHTMARE! and Labs def. need a substantial amount of exercise

my parents own an exception. that dog was insanely hyper. he's chilled out now that hes 3 years old but the first 2 years were a NIGHTMARE! and Labs def. need a substantial amount of exercise

I've heard that, I've also heard that Huskie's do too.  My labs were all layed back and relaxed and my Huskies are perfect substitutes for shag rugs!

I think a lot of it depends on the owner, we get out, walk and play and when we do, most anything is fair game; when we come back inside, I expect ( and get ) generally good behaviour.

The labs I've owned were more than content to play with me - or to play by themselves to get the exercise they needed.  Avalanche is all over my front yard with anything he can pick up, toss, run get, pick up, toss .... but he wants to play with me when I come out, so we both get some of both type of exercise.

Sasha, for some reason has decided that she doesn't want to go to town with me in the jeep, so I just leave her at home inside - no problem.  Unlike many SH's she doesn't have any separation anxiety - seemingly at all.  She's now comfortable that I'm not running off and leaving her (as she was left in SanAntonio, I think) and she's comfortable.  Different people, different dogs ..... I think it's really difficult to say that "all will behave this way"

I've heard that, I've also heard that Huskie's do too.  My labs were all layed back and relaxed and my Huskies are perfect substitutes for shag rugs!

I think a lot of it depends on the owner, we get out, walk and play and when we do, most anything is fair game; when we come back inside, I expect ( and get ) generally good behaviour.

The labs I've owned were more than content to play with me - or to play by themselves to get the exercise they needed.  Avalanche is all over my front yard with anything he can pick up, toss, run get, pick up, toss .... but he wants to play with me when I come out, so we both get some of both type of exercise.

Sasha, for some reason has decided that she doesn't want to go to town with me in the jeep, so I just leave her at home inside - no problem.  Unlike many SH's she doesn't have any separation anxiety - seemingly at all.  She's now comfortable that I'm not running off and leaving her (as she was left in SanAntonio, I think) and she's comfortable.  Different people, different dogs ..... I think it's really difficult to say that "all will behave this way"

very true. they are all different.

labs are much easier to train though. and now cody is just like a giant bear who wants to walk around getting attention. lol

How much exercise are they committed to giving it? That will help us narrow down the breeds...

And I HEARD greyhounds are called the 'quarter mile couch potato'. I'm assuming that means they are very calm in the house, but once let off lead (??) they want to run and run and run...and run.

EDIT: Oh, and if they don't want to spend the time and effort to exercise it, then I wouldn't recommend any working (or herding) breeds. Generally all breeds in the category NEED exercise and a job to do. I've heard of Border Collies herding children because they aren't given a 'job' to do or aren't given enough exercise!

They are both very active both go on alot of bike rides (like miles and miles) so i am assuming they would do the same with a dog. I also agree they should not have a northern breed I am trying to get as much info as i can so that i can put across my reasons as to why not so they dont think im just being horrible lol. They have already said no to greyhounds :( I mentioned rescue but they want a puppy so they can "train it how they want"

Great Danes are also major couch potatoes but they have a shorter life span :(

They dont want a great dane due to the short lifespan :(

I agree with this Al i will be suggesting a Lab to them :) Which i think should be a win win all around as she wants something cute and cuddly and he wanted something a bit more manly which i think a lab will win on both accounts, I shall suggest this to them!

I would recommend a greyhound or lurcher, they sleep 90% of the day, only needed short blasts of exercise, our Belle is 3 (she's a working dog) and is happy not to be walked every day, often when I take Mia out Belle refuses to budge as she wants to chill out! She is fantastic with children too :)

Now greyhounds and pitchers do have a high prey drive like huskies, BUT Belle listens so is an off lead dog, she is great with cats and even when she is hunting knows the difference between a rabbit and a cat so we can confidently say she would never chase a cat!

There are numerous dogs in need of a forever home, just take a look at Tia rescue xx