Breed For Friends

Stormy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labs, Gsd's but from a rescue and at least 3 years old.

Otherwise they will still be in the puppy, chew, eat, zoomies, stage.

an older more settled dog/

There are many puppies in shelters - the one I volunteered at, we would get in a litter of puppies every month atleast. Of course they went like hotcakes. (less than 12 weeks)

Also have seen a lot of 'older' puppies in shelters too, like anywhere from 3 months to 11 months. 

But hey, it's ultimately their choice whether to get a puppy or not. Just make sure, when they are getting a puppy, that they get one from a reputable breeder. Especially for Labs, as they are prone to cancer and obesity even when bred and exercised properly...

Except for a husky they always have the zoomies hahaha

Yeah, so true.

Bully breeds would be good for less extensive exercise times. Gsd's are prone to separation anxiety so I'm not sure full time hours at work are a good fit. Also lurchers/labs/retrievers/possibly a mastiff? Not sure about that one. Maybe a newfy but agIn not too sure about exercise requirements (but they're gorgeous dogs!).

I think it depends on the dog not all dogs behave how they are written on paper lol. 

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I will pass them all on!

in case there's still room for another suggestion, what about a Chow or a Rough Collie? I read that he wants a Rottie (protective and all) while she wants something cuddly so I'm thinking of some breeds that fulfills both criteria. I know Chows aren't that tiny, but my cousin's late Chow is very cuddly and IMO one of the cutest fluff ball on Earth :wub: despite their teddy-bear looks they're protective and wary of strangers so might be a good choice :D Rough Collies are also protective although they might not be the best choice for a guard dog and they tend to bond very closely to their family :D