Aaaaggghhh Im Trying To Keep My Dogs Safe!

As some of you may know I live next door to my inlaws. My father in law has his currently broken not working tractor in our front garden. Yes I said tractor *sigh*.

So he comes into the garden to work on it. Which is ok I guess.

BUT FFS WHY CAN HE NOT UNDERSTAND THAT SAFETY OF THE DOGS IS PARAMOUNT?

He doesnt put the lock (its a bike lock) on properly, yesterday I saw him open the gate wide open and have it like that for a good few seconds, while storm was in the garden! :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I honestly feel like im  :banghead:  :banghead:  He doesnt listen to me, he doesnt understand that if one of them gets out they WILL NOT come back!  :arghh:  :arghh:

I swear if one of my dogs gets out because of him I will let loose my temper on him.

Is there a way of putting a return spring on the gate? People always look at me strangely when i say Elka can't be let off the lead or that she will try and escape. Its like i'm in the wrong as her owner. 

I would remove his tractor from your drive if he can't be bothered to observe your rules.  

Yup, hitch the Huskies to the front.

Put it in neutral. . . 

HIKE ON

I would remove his tractor from your drive if he can't be bothered to observe your rules.  

unfourtunately its complicated Lee. 

The house part belongs to my husband but more of it belongs to his brother who lives next door with his parents.

SO unfourtunately we have no say at all in this THING being there. I had numerous rows with alex over this!

HOWEVER apparently he reckons its going in the back garden when he gets it moving.

I have said NO WAY is it going in our part, he has a end bit of our garden for an allotment and he can have the damn thing in there.

Use the argument its not safe for the children either, if the gate is open they could walk out onto the street. The same goes for the back garden, it needs to be safe for the children.. 'Their grandchildren' sticking a tractor in it isn't making it safe.. If they won't listen to your opinion on the dogs. They may be swayed with a little emotional blackmail :)

It looks like you'll just have to tie them up to be sure or whatever else you have in mind.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this, it sounds like one of those situation where reacting would put you in a bad position.

I would just hold out so long as they don't cause any additional trouble.

Parent's are pains. Especially if they are in-laws. My in-laws live on a farm and there's all the time stuff laying around... the dogs hardly get to go over there unless it's hot and then we go to the pond.

But mine are worse. My parents have a lab mix, who is so perfect and so well rounded and educated, she stays in the yard. When ours go over to play, they tell us constantly to let them off their leashes so they can run around. Seriously...how daft.

Parent's are pains. Especially if they are in-laws. My in-laws live on a farm and there's all the time stuff laying around... the dogs hardly get to go over there unless it's hot and then we go to the pond.

But mine are worse. My parents have a lab mix, who is so perfect and so well rounded and educated, she stays in the yard. When ours go over to play, they tell us constantly to let them off their leashes so they can run around. Seriously...how daft.

their collie is so fat he couldnt run off far