Bikeing With Your Huskies

Stormy

Considering getting a bike through the bike to work scheme and bike to work when its warmer etc :)

But also get one to bike the dogs on (one at a time) Rob is also thinking of getting one and we will go together and have one each on a bike :)

So my question is are you allowed to just do this anywhere?? 

Also i am terrified of doing it whats the best way to get into it and the safest etc and what will i need for the dogs?

I do it all the time. I do go on pedestrian route which I guess is not allowed, so I take a lot of care not to injure anybody. I think the Police have better things to do than tell people off for this,

i do it allover the place i've got a walky dog for the areas i know we will come across others etc and on other area she goes on a gangline out infront of the bike we just use a shoulder harness xx

Considering getting a bike through the bike to work scheme and bike to work when its warmer etc :)

But also get one to bike the dogs on (one at a time) Rob is also thinking of getting one and we will go together and have one each on a bike :)

So my question is are you allowed to just do this anywhere?? 

Also i am terrified of doing it whats the best way to get into it and the safest etc and what will i need for the dogs?

great I am glad you posted this topic storm we want to do sum bike stuff with dyson this year but don't know how to go about it my thought was take the bikes to Blackpool pop him on his long lead and see how we get on

I got a Raleigh hybrid which is sort of cross between town bike and mountain bike. I bike with Cava sometimes along the road. She knocked me down on a couple of occasions lol but I do not give up:) Good luck:)

post-9228-13656141121269_thumb.jpg

Right it is decided we are gonna do this when i do not know as need to get a bike first :)

Could you all give me links to what attachments you use want to get different ones so i can then decide which i feel would be best for me :) Also advice on harnesses and lines :)

Then when i do do this i will practice first at robs parents to get used to it as it doesn't matter if i fall off there etc lol

I can only advice do it at a very slow pace first, get your dog used to it. In my case the problem is that Cava has very unusual way of toiletting- she never sniffs around, slows down to look for a right place etc, neither when I walk her or bike her. She may walk slow or fast, she may run or she may speed, looking forward, and then suddenly out of the blue she sits hardly down without any warning, she has been doing it since she was a pup! :( So not being a very big problem on walks, but whilst cycling...just imagine...never can get a speed. Otherwise I finish bruised. Actually this is the only one serious thing that annoys me about her!

great I am glad you posted this topic storm we want to do sum bike stuff with dyson this year but don't know how to go about it my thought was take the bikes to Blackpool pop him on his long lead and see how we get on

Never ever use a lead (the longer it is the more chance it will tangle around something or someone) and a bike. If the dog suddenly takes off in an unexpected direction

they will yank your hand off the handlebars and you will end up a tangled mess on the floor.

Possibly seriously injured with the dog happily sprinting off into the wild blue yonder.

Always use either Bikejoring equipment or a side mounted atacchment such as WalkyDog or Springer.

I bikejor with Pete's Anarchy and Chaos and have recently purchase the following style attachment to replace a home made one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271173397189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You will need a bike obviously and would suggest a mountain bike with good brakes and at least front suspension

You'll also need a suitable gangline and neckline if running 2 dogs.  I would suggest a 2 dog gangline as you can use it for one or 2 dogs

The dogs will require a suitable harness

I would suggest a helmet having had several bike crashes over the years they have prevented serious head injuries

As for where you run that is largely upto you although I  would suggest not using largely populated areas as the possibility of injury to a member of the public is higher when doing this.  You could use the forests but may require a permit for doing so as well as the relevant insurance. It's a bit of a minefield to be honest and is probably the reason why some people just run their dogs where ever they please and hope for the best.  IMO this kind of approach is likely to result in this type of exercise being banned.

Don't mean to offend anyone or put you off bikejoring  jest wanted to point out the potential issues 

I'm thinking of getting a bike for when it's not sensible to use the scooter. I'm just looking at models at the moment. Do you think it's an absolute definite to get disc brakes rather than v brakes? 

Depends on how many dogs your running and how fast they run.

V brakes with good quality pads can be as good as disc brakes although most new bikes tend to have disc brakes fitted as standard  Note brakes are only good providing they're regularly maintained.

I will more than likely only run the one at a time unless i become alot more confident :)

I was thinking of doing it by the canal it is very quiet down there in the day and its quite wide also down  most of it. 

Yes i will be getting a helmet :)

Thanks for the link also Lee! And the great advise!

• 2 weeks later...

I have started to bike with my dogs. Over the last couple of weeks we have racked up close on 40 miles. I currently use a Walkydog bike attachment as I don't currently trust my Huskators to continue running if they see a dog/squirrel/mouse/rabbit/bird (delete as applicable).

I would like to get them running out in front using the type of bike attachment sold by kisi on their website. 

Its great fun, and just one will get you up to some mad speeds if given their freedom. At the weekend Cloud had me a gnats wotsit short of 18mph over forest track. My two girls will easily get me to 16 to 17mph as well.