Severe Skin Allergies

Mobezilla

I am posting this on behalf of one of my Ohio Husky group members. She is seeking advice for her new female who is having severe skin allergies.

"Well the new 7 month old husky I got was just thrown basically in my lap because my neighbor took her from her daughter who was negligent and left her chained in the yard. So I get this amazing girl in rough shape. All she does is scratch and scratch. And she does cause herself to bleed. I've taken her to the vet several times and we are scheduled to go to A&M next week to have an allergy test done. I give her two Benadryl a day as recommended but it does no good. She's just a bloody mess. We've transitioned her to a raw died to cut out the allergens in her diet but so far it's no good. And she absolutely refuses to go in grass. She will run around the garden and rock bed and sidewalks but she will do anything to avoid the grass"

"I bathed her as soon as I got her. She was muddy and matted pretty bad. As for creams, she gave me some antibiotic to try but really she didn't have a clue other than run the allergy test at the university. So I guess we will wait. Everything from mange and fleas have been ruled out and the fur on her ears is coming back in. I just feel so bad for her"

Any tips? I will give her the link of this thread to read replies and we will get more info if needed :)

I put ground flax seed on Diesel's food (about a tbl spoon a day), it helps with his dandruff he gets in dry weather. I also do 6 pumps of salmon oil (bottle says 1 pump for every 10 pounds).

I do know that my parents have a Shih Tzu who is going through the same thing with really scaly skin. No mange and no fleas, and they are on Taste of the Wild food. He's going to a different vet tomorrow for a second opinion. But Shih Tzus are high maintenance and allergic to everything it seems... I did recommend them to try the benadryl thing, though.

Sounds somewhat similar to our rescue girl Diamond.  Food allergies were some of the problem so, it could be the protein they are feeding, my girl is allergic to fowl protein (no chicken, turkey, or duck), red meats and fish protein do great for her.  The other part of the problem in our girl, though we didn't know it until the problem manifested in a puppy foster we had months later, was sarcoptic mange.  We had dozens of skin scrapings done on poor Diamond but never found anything until the day we took both her and foster Bridger to the vet.  They found a singular mite on Bridger, treated for mange and never had an issue again.

Here you can see the coat condition, though improved from when we got her, still pretty horrible.  The sores on her rear she chewed because she itched so badly, around her eyes, and her elbows were constantly scabbed over from itching.

424001_10151349159081590_932724477_n.jpg

This is our Diamond today- hasn't had a single skin allergy since and has lived her life free of daily medications for allergies-

644757_10151509921681590_7173332_n.jpg

My suggestion is to also get skin scraping samples in addition to the allergy tests.  It could be parasitic in nature-