Fussy Husky Wont Eat

huskywolfdog

Hello there im all new to this, :)

I have a nearly 2 year old husky female who refuses to eat properly she will eat a certain type of food then go off it in 2-3 days, she put on weight 2 days ago and now its gone????, if we leave food ie biscuits down she will not touch it, she was eaten wagg and wet mixed together and all was fine.

i have tried the following things to make her eat 

science plan

james well beloved

wagg 

winalot(wet)

pets at home own brand dry food

pedigree (wet)

frozen tripe

tescos own brand wet food

tescos own brand bisucts 

butchers wet 

webox (wet food in roll)

chappie wet

nature diet

Tonight i have tried her on that wet weinwrights food and it was gone within 20 seconds but for how long will she eat this untill she wont eat it again. im going vets with her tomorrow but i know he wont believe me on what i have tried, has any one else got a fussy husky and what did you do ???? many thanks kerry and rogue  

post-9643-0-38367000-1365631220_thumb.jp

It seems like this is a common trait in huskies (they don't eat all the time). I don't have one of those huskies, but I know some members on here do. 

They won't starve themselves, just make sure you have food down for her (and ruling out any medical issues...is she still intact? I heard the heat cycle messes with their appetite).

How much does she weigh? The picture of her looks fine - some huskies are more lightly built than others. 

my kaiser is the same, kaiser wont really eat much dog foods, but what i do now is a mixture of two types of wet dog food and a bit of dry dog food with a tiny bit of hot water and mix it all up and he loves it! but if she wont eat anything id suggest feeding her chicken and rice or mince beef and rice

my kaiser is the same, kaiser wont really eat much dog foods, but what i do now is a mixture of two types of wet dog food and a bit of dry dog food with a tiny bit of hot water and mix it all up and he loves it! but if she wont eat anything id suggest feeding her chicken and rice or mince beef and rice

Mine was like that too (wouldn't eat any kibble unless it had stuff mixed in). It turns out he just HATED the 4 or 5 different kinds we tried - it totally figures the only kibble he loves is the most expensive one we have here! (Taste of the Wild)

Mine was like that too (wouldn't eat any kibble unless it had stuff mixed in). It turns out he just HATED the 4 or 5 different kinds we tried - it totally figures the only kibble he loves is the most expensive one we have here! (Taste of the Wild)

ive tried loads of different kibble and he wont eat it unless its mixed, i suppose it would be like you or me eating cereal without milk lol :) 

yea seems they are the same if we leave wet food mixed or un mixed she leaves it and it goes all hard, leave biscuits out and she wont really touch them she also has a very sensitive stomach that doesn't help but loves scrambled egg and pasta but don't really wanna feed her on this 

Have you tried feeding her a raw diet (also known as the 'BARF' diet)? Some members on here have resorted to that, and I think (?) their huskies eat every day now? There are a bunch of threads on raw diets in this section here: 

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/forum/48-food-diet/

You need to do a lot of research though, because its vastly different than a kibble diet. You have to make sure she gets everything she needs to be healthy - its not like kibble where all the nutrients they need are included already.

Have you tried Raw chicken wings.

the bones are safe as they are raw.

My guys love them.

If you stick on one food and she won't eat it, are taking it up and then putting it down for the next meal, how long would she go without eating? Mine has lasted 3 days and then when he realised he wasn't going to get anything else he gave in and started eating. 

They can't live on a diet of just chicken wings though. :P

No, however if you can find half a dozen different things that she will eat a little of and varying that throughout a week.

You can at least get her to eat.

and. . . chicken wings are (almost, there have been a few rare exceptions) universally loved by huskies. :up:

I've only seen one suggestion that even borders on what I'm going to suggest.  Since you've said that she has a sensitive stomach and have tried almost everything available it seems ... pick one that is good quality, that doesn't cause her to loose control (produces acceptable feces) and put it on the floor - "eat it or leave, it's up to you dog!"

I tend to be a bit of a hard arse when it comes to dogs and food.  They are not training me - it's the other way 'round.  Typically, Huskies are "svelte" (thin to a point of seeming underweight) and your girl looks good, a bit thin but definitely not too thin.  It's common for a Husky to go off it's feed every once in a while ... for some reason they'll just stop eating or maybe just nibble for a few days and then go back to eating normally.  As we all already know, Huskies are an intelligent breed and, given the opportunity, will train you to do their bidding - and she looks like she's got a good start on having you well trained.

Give her a good quality food, feed her as normal, if she doesn't eat - pick it up and put it back down at her next meal time. They are smart, she won't starve herself "to spite you", they don't think that way.  No one has seen a healthy Husky starve themselves to death while sitting beside a bowl of decent dog food.

Time for some tough love here.

IMHO

Darwin will 4 out of 7 days not eat in the mornings and sometimes only pick at the evening meal.

If he doesn't eat it, it gets taken away.

He still maintains a good wieght and is healthy and energetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kerry,

Tough Love Indeed!! In the wild the pack member that doesn't eat what the Alpha brought in as kill starves!! The only exception I've run into was my Tuvok he was brutalized and starved before I got him as a rescue. He didn't know what food was and that it was good . . . I had to start him on venison I prepared for him along with a multi-vitamin supplement for canines. Once he got used to the game, I began to slowly sub in kibble eukanuba puppy chow eventually eliminating the vension entirely later switched the puppy chow for adult maintenance. He remained on that until he crossed over, went from 27 lbs to 60lbs. Don't know if this case is similar to yours but if you have access to game, you may want to start with the wild side first then move into the more domesticated varieties of food. I hope this is helpful. All the Best!!

Fr Carmen OFM