Larka Is In Heat!!

HuskyGuerl

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed that larka is in heat but her sister is not yet..I am getting them fixed just haven't had the money yet..can you fix them while in heat? Will echo try to mate her? He hasn't seemed interested just don't want it to happen!!

No (well, you can, but it is very risky and very costly) and yes. Dogs don't care if their sister or daughter (etc) are in heat - they will mate anyways. Sounds gross, I know, but mating is instinctual for them.

Bitches go through a few stages, I think the first stage they bleed and are not really receptive? It's when they stop bleeding they are the most receptive and are flirty. You should still keep them separated for the full 30 or so days though...and careful, they will mate through fences/crates/etc!

More info on dog heat cycles here: http://www.askabreeder.com/Dog_Heat_Signs_and_Symptoms

Yes you can get her spayed while in heat. I am in school to be a Veterinary Technician and for my externship I sat in on a spay of a bitch in heat. It is just harder for the vet because there's obviously more blood, but it's also easier for them because the uterus is so swollen it's easy to find and grab.

He will try to mate with her, I'd get her in ASAP after she's done bleeding!

Yes you can get her spayed while in heat. I am in school to be a Veterinary Technician and for my externship I sat in on a spay of a bitch in heat. It is just harder for the vet because there's obviously more blood, but it's also easier for them because the uterus is so swollen it's easy to find and grab.

I thought there was a greater risk for complications though (and death?) if done while in heat?

And huh - always wanted to be a vet. Was going to actually, but couldn't handle the schooling (and couldn't handle putting pets down), so I'm studying to be a Zoologist instead. 

I thought there was a greater risk for complications though (and death?) if done while in heat?

And huh - always wanted to be a vet. Was going to actually, but couldn't handle the schooling (and couldn't handle putting pets down), so I'm studying to be a Zoologist instead. 

Yes, there is definitely complications since they will loose more blood since they're bleeding, but if you have a very experienced, reputable Veterinarian, you shouldn't have any issues. Our vet has been doing spay surgeries for many, many years. She has no issues doing a spay on a bitch in heat. When I watched her do it, it was faster for her to do it on the bitch in heat, vs. the 5 month old Husky puppy who was actually bleeding more and the stiches weren't holding like they should.

I'd definitely call your vet first, but since you have an intact male in the house, they'd probably have you either get her in ASAP, or him in ASAP.

If you do decide to spay her, I would make sure to do the presurgery bloodwork since it is possible for her to lose a lot of blood you just want to make sure she doesn't have any genetic blood clotting issues, ect..

Yes, there is definitely complications since they will loose more blood since they're bleeding, but if you have a very experienced, reputable Veterinarian, you shouldn't have any issues. Our vet has been doing spay surgeries for many, many years. She has no issues doing a spay on a bitch in heat. When I watched her do it, it was faster for her to do it on the bitch in heat, vs. the 5 month old Husky puppy who was actually bleeding more and the stiches weren't holding like they should.

I'd definitely call your vet first, but since you have an intact male in the house, they'd probably have you either get her in ASAP, or him in ASAP.

If you do decide to spay her, I would make sure to do the presurgery bloodwork since it is possible for her to lose a lot of blood you just want to make sure she doesn't have any genetic blood clotting issues, ect..

I didn't know any of that - thanks! I've never owned a bitch, but I plan to get one eventually in the future, so this is useful to know. :)

the two vets local to me will -NOT- spay a dog in heat, and there wasn't even any discussion.  Both gave the reason that there is too much that can go wrong that isn't a problem when they're out of heat. 

Jenet, I'm not arguing, just giving another opinion.  While some vets may, some also feel the risk isn't worth the potential problems.

With a female in heat and an intact male in the house, we're definitely in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation.  If you are so careless that he tries to mount her (notice that's not "if") you don't want to try to grab a collar to stop him - nature is in full drive and it's not something he'll take kindly to.  It's also quite possible that even if you have him neutered, he will still try to mount her - it's just hormones.

If your vet's agreeable then having her fixed now, might be the better course.

Everyone has their own opinion :)

I definitely would say there's a very good chance she could get pregnant since Cherokee is on her 2nd litter with Echo and if I'm not mistaken I believe neither were intended and since Larka is his daughter I wouldn't even chance it. If you can, I'd get Echo in first if possible and wait till she's at least done bleeding.

When I got Shadow I wanted to get Pip in to be spayed, definatly didnt want any accidents happening, Pips to small for his pups and i don't think Border Collie/Jackrussel X husky puppies is a great combo lol. Pip was in season when we got Shadow and the vet told me i had to wait 3 months after her season to have her spayed. Obviously wasn't a big problem as Shadow wasn't interested at 8 weeks old in mating her lol.

When I got Shadow I wanted to get Pip in to be spayed, definatly didnt want any accidents happening, Pips to small for his pups and i don't think Border Collie/Jackrussel X husky puppies is a great combo lol. Pip was in season when we got Shadow and the vet told me i had to wait 3 months after her season to have her spayed. Obviously wasn't a big problem as Shadow wasn't interested at 8 weeks old in mating her lol.

Haha he was interested in Skye ;):P Though she wasn't in season though.

I have always heard that most vets wont spay whilst in heat. Can you just keep them seperate for now until you can get her done?

I have always heard that most vets wont spay whilst in heat. Can you just keep them seperate for now until you can get her done?

He definitely was lol! He keeps humping Pip but she doesn't seem to mind...she humps him back! Haha

Thank you I will be keeping them seperate..I wouldnt of noticed it except for when i brought them in last night and she laid down on our bed...but there hasnt been spots in her cage at night when she gets up and we leave the doors open so the dogs run freely from inside to outside and I havent noticed it when she runs inside...maybe she just started..hopefully my paycheck is big enough friday to get echo fixed..then the two girls when larka comes out of heat

No (well, you can, but it is very risky and very costly) and yes. Dogs don't care if their sister or daughter (etc) are in heat - they will mate anyways. Sounds gross, I know, but mating is instinctual for them.

Bitches go through a few stages, I think the first stage they bleed and are not really receptive? It's when they stop bleeding they are the most receptive and are flirty. You should still keep them separated for the full 30 or so days though...and careful, they will mate through fences/crates/etc!

More info on dog heat cycles here: http://www.askabreeder.com/Dog_Heat_Signs_and_Symptoms

That is definitly what i planned on doing! I wish she would of waited because the Animal Shelter does spay and neutering for any dog under 60 lbs for $25 and its suppose to be sometime this month and i was going to do all three of them together

Oh i can definitly keep them separated I aint letting this one happen Echo is outside and Larka is inside and at night Echo is in our room with us and when they are in the house together they are in separate rooms..Im not going to let it happen she is too young and i cant risk her dieing!!

And i was going to say that would it be better if we got Echo done first..Because we planned on getting Echo Meeka and Larka all done on this next spay and neuter through the animal shelter and Cherokee is getting done when she is able to be...But I can get only ONE done this weekend with my paycheck and I thought it would be better and cheaper to do Echo because he is the male and Larka is in heat and will cost more and i dont want to chance it and what if Meeka comes in?? So  yes definatly calling about Echo today!!!

Although this may not be common it was for my uncles labs twice. The father Oreo mated with his daughters itty bitty and Wilma. We didn't know they were in heat until he humped them more then playfully. He tried to keep them separate but it was too late. A short while later puppies came Wilma had 4 and

Itty bitty had 7 however of the 11 all but 2 lived because they had been inbred. We even tried to take them to the vets to save them but they said there was nothing they could do since it was a result of inbreeding. Also around where my grandma lives most cats who have kittens die because there are not enough they all inbreed. Point being keep them apart at all times. It

May be best to fix echo at this point. Good luck and I will try to find good articles for you to read on about inbreeding

I know ALL about inbreeding....and I DO NOT plan to breed them they are getting fixed just larka came in so fast and wasnt sure if she could be fixed while in heat...my sister in laws dog myia was bred by her dad and we told her not to many times and what it would do and she never listened..they intentionaly did it for money..well she had 5 pups they all died and so did Myia..thanks!! Checking my bank account tommorrow and if i have 100 in there im taking Echo saturday..and the two girls will be done the next animal shelter spay and neuter

Be careful - you might want to talk about this with your vet, but I think males are still fertile for atleast a week after they are neutered?? That's what I heard, anyways.

Though it doesn't make much sense to me - how can the males still be fertile when they don't have any...er...can't say the word (family forum) but you all know what I mean.

THANKS!! I have never heard of that. That is very oddly strange I will definitly be checking into that on Saturday...wow you just blew my mind

Be careful - you might want to talk about this with your vet, but I think males are still fertile for atleast a week after they are neutered?? That's what I heard, anyways.

Though it doesn't make much sense to me - how can the males still be fertile when they don't have any...er...can't say the word (family forum) but you all know what I mean.

See Echo doesnt even seem interested he walks the opposite direction from Larka but he did walk up and try to sniff her once and she sat and went into a lashing attack and he hasnt done it since..i still dont trust him though...Hopefully we can get him in Saturday

We got lucky with blaze and skyla she had 3 seasons before she was fixed n blaze was never really that interested in her n when he did go near her back end for whatever reason she would snap at him

He's likely not interested since she's not in standing heat.  Once she hit's prime heat she will become irresistible to him and he will be more than interested.  This is usually between 7-14 days of the cycle.  Even after he is neutered he can still be fertile and interested for 1-2 weeks after the procedure.  You'll need to be extra diligent in watching the two's interactions and not allow them unattended access to each other for any reason.

I don't know how true this is, but I was talking to a woman the other day who breeds Irish wolfhounds and she had mentioned never spaying a bitch in heat. She said there is a small chance that it can mess up their hormones. Something along the lines of false heats after being spayed that can last months. It puts stress and anxiety on the dog.???