Flea Infestation!!

love4Luna

Blah!! I hate this, its insane. Luna came home from the breeder completely covered in fleas, I gave her baths and such to try and drown them off of her the first few days she was home until I could get her to the vet. She is too young to take any over the counter flea meds.

She did get some vet approved flea meds once we got her in, but it was too late. My house is completely infested to the point I'm picking them off my children! My cat is covered, as is my rat terrier, Isabella. Isabella is allergic to fleas and she is all rashed out, chewing her hair out to where she looks mangy. Not to mention she has bleeding sores from biting herself.

So far now, we have spent over $200 now on flea meds for everyone, and we are going to have to bomb the house AGAIN this weekend. We can't seem to beat the nasty little buggars. We seem to be a step behind, every time. I've NEVER seen anything like this before. I'm so angry with the breeder that we got Luna from. I've had her now 4 weeks, and have spent nearly $1000 on absolutely unnecessary vet bills.

I just want to scream!!

I'm hoping that when we get our new living room furniture and rip up the carpet to replace with hardwood floors, that will help get rid of them. We are doing that here in the next few weeks.

I feel so sorry for you :(, they can be an absolute nightmare.

All you can do is warn other people off using that breeder.

I hope you can get control of it soon!!

Our cat used to get them a lot, even though she was an indoor cat--it seemed as if they came in on our clothes in the summer :/

But now she AND Diesel and Nymeria are on flea meds... we don't have carpet, so I mop the floor often, but water makes them explode, same with the eggs and things. Kind of funny.

I hope you can get control of it soon!!

Our cat used to get them a lot, even though she was an indoor cat--it seemed as if they came in on our clothes in the summer :/

But now she AND Diesel and Nymeria are on flea meds... we don't have carpet, so I mop the floor often, but water makes them explode, same with the eggs and things. Kind of funny.

Water makes them explode? I didn't know that! Hmm maybe I oughta flood my house, it might be cheaper! ;) just use my home insurance to rebuild from the ground up, lol.

Water makes them explode? I didn't know that! Hmm maybe I oughta flood my house, it might be cheaper! ;) just use my home insurance to rebuild from the ground up, lol.

I don't necessarily know if it makes the ADULTS explode, but when our cat had fleas, she'd lay next to the TV on the entertainment stand, I wiped it down with a wet paper towel, and it turned red instantly when I wiped up all the flea dust and eggs...

My mother-in-law is a natural remedy type of person...she uses hardly anything with chemicals in it... she ONLY uses water to get rid of fleas... (she rescues stray cats and gets fleas bad at least once a year). She had a white cat, put it in a sink full of water, and it turned red... I think it's just the eggs popping... but she leaves the cat in the water for like 5 minutes (head out of course) and usually the fleas drown, they can't swim.

I don't necessarily know if it makes the ADULTS explode, but when our cat had fleas, she'd lay next to the TV on the entertainment stand, I wiped it down with a wet paper towel, and it turned red instantly when I wiped up all the flea dust and eggs...

My mother-in-law is a natural remedy type of person...she uses hardly anything with chemicals in it... she ONLY uses water to get rid of fleas... (she rescues stray cats and gets fleas bad at least once a year). She had a white cat, put it in a sink full of water, and it turned red... I think it's just the eggs popping... but she leaves the cat in the water for like 5 minutes (head out of course) and usually the fleas drown, they can't swim.

You will find that it is the Fleas excrement that turns red in water not the Fleas.Not the Fleas exploding....Ron

Edited by Ron Tao&Sky

Im so sorry..we are currently going through a flea problem ourselve right now..Cherokee cant have ANYTHING because of the newborn puppies and they can not have anything either..The other three are treated though but we cant bomb the house to get rid of them because of the newborn pups

We had this problem twice. First when we brought Cheyenne home and second when we brought Balto home. We had to get a strong flea treatment from the vet, which we put on after a bath with dawn dish soap, and then we had to remove all animals from the house and bomb the house with a can in every room, and wash all clothes. Then we had to buy a spray from the vet that you spray on the carpet and couch, furniture and waited 24 hours did it again waited another 24 hours did it again and then vacummed everything up and did ALL laundry including bed sheets. Then if any were still around we repeated from the beginning, which we had to do only one other time, and now all are flea treated and we haven't seen a flea since.

Take with with whatever size grain of salt you'd like but boric acid is said to be a good safe flee destroyer.

Also in the same genre - diatomaceous earth is said to work well with dogs and puppies.

Both diatomaceous earth and boric acid are also good against other little creepy, crawly's (roaches).

There's been some discussion here about using Dawn dishwashing detergent on puppies / dogs, I've worked with a woman who did animal rescue and that's all she ever used when she brought home something we needed to get deflead quickly ( or at least try to limit the damage! )  If you use Dawn, dilute it way down, it will create suds with a very low ( 1 part dawn to 2 parts - or more! - water )

What you want to achieve is one of two things:

Both diatomaceous earth and boric acid leach the liquid from the insect's body - that kinda kills them. 

Dawn remove the oil that makes up the skeleton of the insect - thus letting the liquid in their bodies out - ditto.

I'm thinking of buying a blowtorch... ;)

Possibly not such a good idea. Luna may not like the idea of being cooked. :rofl:

When we first got Skye she was covered in fleas. Her neck was that bad that she was bleeding around the neck where they had bitten into her skin. We put her in the bath and washed her thoroughly with shampoo and then rinsed her off a few times then put conditioner all over her and again rinsed her off thoroughly. She was then dried and flea treated and it cleared her completely. You must, however, keep on top of the monthly doseage of flea treatment otherwise the damn things will be back in a flash.

Gary.