Reminiscence

valkyries

Steam trains

World war 2

Old tv & radio Opportunity knoCks Sing something simple, etC

Oh, okay then. 

I like the ones Andy posted, but here are some more ideas:

- Invention of the TV/colour TV/calculators/tape recorders/computers

- How, back in those days, they acted out these 'stories'/plays/series over the radio...like Western/cowboy stories, etc. Apparently, as my Dad tells me, the 'shows' playing on the radio were much better than the old grainy pictures on the black and white TV. Everyone would sit in the family room and listen to the radio back then, as opposed to sitting in a room and watching TV today.

- BB guns! My dad was a big fan of those...he would always shoot at targets in the backyard.

- Other wars of the past (WWII, etc)

How old are they? I only ask because I have just turned 65, and those of us who were teenagers in the '60's probably have a much more modern outlook than those in the generation before us. For example, when I saw Andy's suggestion of "opportunity Knocks" and "Sing Something Simple," I absolutely CRINGED - you would need to be at least 80 to enjoy those! For me, it would be better to have Woodstock or "Hair" and a few Aldermaston marches - Just sayin'

How old are they? I only ask because I have just turned 65, and those of us who were teenagers in the '60's probably have a much more modern outlook than those in the generation before us. For example, when I saw Andy's suggestion of "opportunity Knocks" and "Sing Something Simple," I absolutely CRINGED - you would need to be at least 80 to enjoy those! For me, it would be better to have Woodstock or "Hair" and a few Aldermaston marches - Just sayin'

Yup that's, why I suggested them, average age of peeps in Care homes is 80+

I remember being a young kid in the early 60's and that's what my grandparents used to love

What a nice idea :)

I don't know about where you live but here we have a facebook page all about old Rochdale full of pictures I like looking at them brings back some great memories maybe you could find out where the folk you doing the boxes for come from and print up some old shots of their town :)

https://www.facebook.com/RochdalePast

Old newspaper articles, famous people/film images. Not sure about the war, I guess it depends on the individual but none of my grandparents ever wanted to talk about it. It's a sensitive issue for Many I suppose as so many lives were lost at war and in communities. Living under a daily threat of losing your life is unimaginable to me. We owe the freedom we have in our lives today to the actions and sacrifices made by our older generation. Even though they wouldn't speak of it I hope my grandparents knew I was grateful and in awe of them.

lol Had to use one for years when my dad still had his veggie patch....every year about 25 kgs of runner beans to do LOLOL  and yes the can take the top of your finger off as well......

I went to Bradford Media Museum last week and they had things such as televisions, computers and telephones through the ages, it was amazing to see the change over the years, even in what are seen as modern products. Maybe if you could get hold of old items such as these? Do you have a local museum? I would contact them to see if they have things you can bring in as a show and tell?