Is Bandit A Sibe, Mal Or Sibe X Mal Cross?

mikeeholder

I've Had bandit now over 3 months now, he came with no papers but we were assured he was a pure Siberian husky. Made no difference to us as he is our family dog we are not showing or working him (competitively that is).

However from the day I met him I was not sure if he had a bit of malamute in him, he is a big lad and he does have a big head but his main physical appearance is Siberian.

Having now met lots of other husky owners and racers etc they have all commented on him possibly having a bit of mal in him, although I have come to understand that all sibes have a bit of mal and other dogs in them at some point in there lineage.

Was just wondering what everyone else thinks based on appearance?post-9257-0-82663200-1365854882_thumb.jppost-9257-0-20382100-1365854890_thumb.jppost-9257-0-35084800-1365855013_thumb.jp

If you had not posed the question, and I saw the pics, I would think what a good looking Husky. But on the last pic, the muzzle seems a bit shorter than what I'd expect on a Husky, but that alone could simply be genetics.  I've never heard that all Huskies have a bit of Mal in them.  Don't know how that would have happened, since Mals came out of North America and Huskies came out of Siberia and the two could not have met until the early 1900s.  But getting back to your original question, the ears are not set wide appart as they are on a Mal, so I'm thinking Husky.

One thing to try... In most Mal/husky mixes, the one thing that can be apparent is the retractable claw.... Gently press one of the pads between your fingers, if the claw extends, then there's definitely a bit if Mal there....

One thing to try... In most Mal/husky mixes, the one thing that can be apparent is the retractable claw.... Gently press one of the pads between your fingers, if the claw extends, then there's definitely a bit if Mal there....

errrmmmm retractable claw? does that not prove theres a bit of cat in them then?  ....... alright i'll get my coat lol

Hm...he looks like part Mal to me. Although it looks like he's mostly Sibe...as you can barely see any Mal characteristics in there at all (ie: his wider-set ears, etc)

But his general body build says Siberian Husky. :)

He looks quite like a husky my neighbour adopted from Ireland. Apparently he's supposed to be full husky but he too had a wider face and longer coat. She said her boy was from racing lines, I guess different lineages just look a bit different.

Canines can't have retractable claws, but they do tend to be careful with them. He looks like a mal to me.

"Retractable means the claws are normally held inside a sheath within the toe & have to be flexed in order to come down. They never touch the ground during normal activity regardless of how long they grow. This is because cats, which have retractable claws, need to keep their claws razor sharp. A dog who knows how to be gentle with her feet is not the same thing, she still has canine foot structure, which does *not* include retractable claws. Dogs' claws are crampons, not weapons, they're much thicker & duller & are regularly in contact with the ground during normal activity."

Canines can't have retractable claws, but they do tend to be careful with them. He looks like a mal to me. "Retractable means the claws are normally held inside a sheath within the toe & have to be flexed in order to come down. They never touch the ground during normal activity regardless of how long they grow. This is because cats, which have retractable claws, need to keep their claws razor sharp. A dog who knows how to be gentle with her feet is not the same thing, she still has canine foot structure, which does *not* include retractable claws. Dogs' claws are crampons, not weapons, they're much thicker & duller & are regularly in contact with the ground during normal activity."
No offence @jmscott but if you search Malamute and retractable Claw, you will find that they have.... Also I've had Kodiak since he was a wee pup, and did plenty of research on Malamutes.... Mals are one of a few breed of dog that have retractable claws... Unless you know about the Malamute breed and done research on them, the you wouldn't know this... I didn't think it was true until we got Kodiak.

Just a small quote from a Mal site.

Alaskan Malamutes are working dogs. They are believed to have come from the Mahlemuts, an Innuit tribe in Alaska. They are most often referred to as “sled dogs,†which is exactly what they are bred for. They are a breed that can take extreme cold and have claws that are retractable so that they can gain traction on ice. They are not the fastest sledding dogs, but they are extreme weight pullers. Often you’ll see two Malamutes in the back of the sled team to drag weight, while the Huskies sit up front speeding the sled along. Malamutes are still used for sledding, but they also make excellent companion dogs if placed in the right home.

Amazing what you can find online if you're unsure!

I looked for xrays of Mal feet and even checked the breed club. Since it would be a trait unique to the breed, I would assume there would be more science based information about it. Or even something regarding the feet in the breed standard if it is a functional trait.

That's fine but why do you feel the need to prove people wrong all the time? Isn't the idea of the forum a chance for everyone to put their points across? Most other breeds have claws that are out full length all of the time Mals have claws that aren't. They go in and come out. Retractable. Sorry I have no X-rays to post but I've seen it with my own eyes.

I don't think he's trying to prove anyone wrong, I think he's genuinely curious and hasn't been able to find much online about it? I didn't know about it either and despite researching mals aswell as huskies this is not something I've come across either so I can't imagine many others have either so they are just wanting to find out why if it's a selected mal trait it isn't mentioned more online etc<br />