Getting A 3Rd Husky

Jay

I have known that eventually I want to get a 3rd husky, preferably a red and white one.  My plan was to wait until I got a bigger place with a fenced in yard since I live in a townhouse, but I  just moved here about a year and a half ago.  I don't plan on moving for 5-7 more years.  And as you all know, it is nearly impossible to wait since huskies are so addicting!  

I found a rescue that seems perfect!  He is 3 years old and I attached a pic of him.

So, for those of you that went from 2 to 3 dogs, how difficult of a transition was it?  Besides getting a 3rd crate, I have everything else needed for another dog.  I don't see much difference in getting the 3rd one.  I am just curious on other peoples experience and if they would recommend it or not.

My main concern is space, but my two do fine in the townhome and we go on tons of walks.  

Thanks guys!

post-7184-0-45973900-1365862213.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you feel you can handle it and have the extra time for a 3rd, I don't see why not. Space is usually less of an issue if you are able to get the dogs out and excersized...at least it is in my opinion. Your biggest concern will probably be the dogs themselves, especially since the 3rd one will be an adult. Definitely not impossible, a lot of it will depend on how the dogs take to each other. Could be a breeze, or could take some time and work. 

Best of luck on whatever you decide. :) 

Unfortunately my third was Skye who came to me with problems anyway. To be fair to Sasha and Nina, they accepted Skye quite easily at first. I think it was when they realised she was different that they caused a few problems but, glad to say, apart from the normal husky scraps, they all seem to get along quite well now. ;)

Gary.

I am afraid I have no advice as I just have Balto, but we did use to have labs and we raised hunting dogs. So I think if you are willing to put in the time, energy and effort then I say go for it. I would think about doing a few meet and greets on neutral territory first and seeing how that goes. Then have a back up plan once the new dog now enters Nikko's you Yukons territory so if things do not turn out ok or if things do not go as planned the dog will go to a good place. I think meet and greets are super important before getting an animals especially a rescue (this is what we ask of some people to do with certain dogs that they adopt from the humane society), therefore a staff member from there can be there in case something goes wrong and you can be there as well and possibly you OH 3 is better then 1 when trying to handle 3 dogs. Good luck and I hope it works out for you as he is super cute

Going from one to two was quite painless but two to three was a nightmare at first. It didn't help that ice had dog based food agression and resource guarding issues. Eventually though things settled down into a routine of sorts, it really depends on how they get on and how much you want it. If you're determined enough to make things work, then you'll find a way. Good luck. X

Edited by emma1979

3 is a big change.  2 was easy.  3 still is not well.  It has been almost 6 months since we brought Vader home and we still can not let him play with the others.  He and Rusty get along for the most part but Rori and Vader is still a no go.  It is a struggle for sure. 

Well I visited him and had to bring him home!! It was a 2 hour drive home and the new dog and Nikko did well in my back seat. We are now at home and they seem to all get along well together. Just normal husky stuff, trying to figure out who's boss. The new dog is 2-3 years old. I will post pics soon though! And I need to pick a name. Any ideas !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that was my plan too before I saw him! And when I met him he was the sweetest boy ever! So affectionate. Although we have had a couple incidents with Nikko and Yukon so hopefully they will sort things out

3 is a big change.  2 was easy.  3 still is not well.  It has been almost 6 months since we brought Vader home and we still can not let him play with the others.  He and Rusty get along for the most part but Rori and Vader is still a no go.  It is a struggle for sure. 

How do you handle it?  Everything was going well, then they got into a few fights last night.  Now, Nikko won't go near the new dog and the new one tries to dominate them, and they HATE that.  They go into attack mode everytime he tries to.  

How do you handle it?  Everything was going well, then they got into a few fights last night.  Now, Nikko won't go near the new dog and the new one tries to dominate them, and they HATE that.  They go into attack mode everytime he tries to.  

It is difficult.  They stay separated.  The reds are fine together so when they are out then Vader is crated.  When Vader is out Rori is crated.  They all socialize on leashes only.  They do well at times but......then the same thing happens that you are experiencing.  It is a gradual process and I still pray on a daily basis that one day we will have peace with all 3.  You have to let them sort it out them selves and know when to step in.  It is very difficult.  I have had the trainer out to my house to asses them and it is still unclear with their body language is,  I have Rusty who loves everyone but after he was attacked he is fearful.  Rori who loves everyone but does not know when to stop.  Rusty can put her in her place but Vader tries and it gets nasty.  Then there is Vader who is unsocialized and does not know how to play nicely and is protective.  Rori is protective too of toys so we always have to make sure those are all put up.  It is a juggling act for sure.

Wow. That sounds tough! It's mostly Nikko and the new guy. The seem to tolerate each other unless one of them gets in the others space. It's hard to tell who starts it too. I put the toys up, the get fed separately and I have the new guy on a leash. Like just now Nikko was looking out the window and the new guy comes up next to him and the next thing I know is they are fighting. Now Nikko ran upstairs to be alone and probably won't be in the same room as him all night

Maya would attack Kay over everything the first couple of months. If Kay came up while they were wanting attention or begging for food Maya would go for her. If there was something Maya was smelling and Kay came up Maya would go for her. Kay would also ask for fights and is un-socialized so she doesn't know when enough is enough, i don't think she really knows how to play either. Kay also bites HARD during play so that would cause fights too. Maya always gets bite wounds on her face from that. They couldn't be out in the yard together without Kay being muzzled.

Now they can be out in the yard together but they're still unsure and continue to try and dominate each other. They have marking wars too, Kay and Maya always have to pee over where the other peed. Their fights now are mainly over sticks, they can sniff things together but Maya did recently attack Kay over attention but it was short. Things have gotten better with time and i hope they'll get along sometime soon. I can walk all three together without many worries. They're fine till they see a dog and react to it, then i have to separate them or they'll attack each other.

You have to understand that the pack mentally is about respect. Nikko was the only one the. You got a puppy who naturally gets a pass because he's a puppy and as he is growing I'm sure Nikko has taught him boundaries. Now you have a new dog who thinks he just enter Nikki's space whenever he wants is a sign of disrespect. I would suggest always being around to give corrections. If you can give a correction to the new dog and teach him boundaries then Nikko won't have to.

Just my 2 cents- I'm no expert- good luck!!!!!

Thanks guys. I know I'm not alone! I thought I was crazy for getting a 3rd one lol. I think I'm doing all I can. I have the new guy leashed and near me. It's weird tho Yukon only got into it once and now him and the new guy hang around each other

I bet Yukon has a much more easy going personality laid back :)

Totally! We call him the California dog! He is the most easy going dog I've met. And pretty lazy too lol. Nikko is very hyper and comes off very strong, so I can see how another dog would not like that.