How To Train To Give Paw

emmaj87

ok so ive taught luna how to sit, down and roll over (well she rolls on her back) but i cant teach her "paw" ive tried puttin treats on her nose but she just trys to bite the treat out of my hand :-( also what other tricks can i teach her?? we are tryin "stay" but strugglein wen i leave her sight, she just comes runnin :-( any trick advise would be lovely :-)<br /><br />http://pdgf.pitapata.com/bBeM.png<br /><br />

With Elka i lifted her paw saying 'paw' and then gave a treat. After a few goes she was lifting her paw and looking eagerly for her treat. We are now up paw, other paw and two paws :D

I'm with you on this one. Lift the paw and say paw simultaneously, and then give the treat. Not known a dog yet that did not pick this up quickly. Both mine will do paw, other paw, then get a treat. Happy dogs!!!

For anyone else interested, the way Cloud learned was by having him sit and holding a treat in a fist in your hand in front of him, and having him dig his muzzle into your hand trying to get the treat, and then he lifted his paw to try and dig the treat out, and then open your hand and let him have the treat while saying 'paw' or 'shake'. Yuki learned the normal way by holding my hand out lol

ok so ive taught luna how to sit, down and roll over (well she rolls on her back) but i cant teach her "paw" ive tried puttin treats on her nose but she just trys to bite the treat out of my hand :-( also what other tricks can i teach her?? we are tryin "stay" but strugglein wen i leave her sight, she just comes runnin :-( any trick advise would be lovely :-)<br /><br />http://pdgf.pitapata.com/bBeM.png<br /><br />

Agree with the above to teach paw. To answer your question about what other tricks. There are a ton of tricks out there to teach. I started off with the basics when Cally was extremely young- stay, come, sit, lay down, paw, other paw, roll over. She can now do: jump (over something), up (onto something), sit pretty (on hind legs), paws up or hug (jumping up with paws on my chest), bow, bang (just learning it now which is play dead). She also knows down (off something), wait (to go out doors etc.), leave it (don't touch), drop it.... there are sooo many things you can teach them and although they can be stubborn sometimes, they love learning new stuff!