Husky Wool!

davidjk

So for years i have been collecting my huskies fur and after watching some native american arts on tv i decided it does not look to hard and to do something about it the bags and bags of fur i have.

so i brought a pair of unwanted carding combs and set to work.

first issue  dirty fur clogs up the brushes so onto youtube to look for advice.

so i wash the fur, next problem drying it it just does not want to dry, eventually i squash (not wring or it will felt up) as much water out as i can and put it on the radiators.

time to card the fur (carding lines the fur up all in one direction). this is not to bad and i manage to brush fur all neat and remove it from the combs.

next issue is rolling the fur into rolls to spin, the problem i have is the fur is so fine it keeps falling apart, back to youtube and after 30 minutes i discover a method of rolling it round a thin piece of rod.

time to spin, for this i try the native american  spinner which is basically a 3 foot pole with stop at the end to stop the wool falling off but  this does not work to well.  luckily i have 2 drop spindles that my daughters brought back  Canada after visiting my mum.

so now i a spinning away fur in to wool, and after 50 meters i am nearly getting it perfect, in places it gets a bit fat.

so what do i plan to do with all this wool i am creating? well husky fur does not bounce back when stretched like wool does, so it either needs to be mixed with sheep wool or used for something that wont be stretched like a scarf or similar

so my wife would like me to make a rug!  

so after i have spun all of this fur and dyed some of it i have to make a rug.  surely that can't be to hard?

post-475-0-84878300-1365926294_thumb.jpg

i will take more pictures at a later date to a new post covering the whole process 

My mum used to knit hats / scarves / gloves from the under-fur from our shetland sheepdog when I was young, as I can't wear wool. The method was pretty much as you descrine, but instead of the 'Native American spinner' / drop spindle, she used a 'normal' spinning wheel. After carding, when you use the back of the carders to roll the fur into sausage shapes, these are called 'rolags' (spelling?) from what I remember. I could put you in touch with some of my Viking re-enactor contacts who spin sheep fleece if that would help, but I doubt they would deal with dog fur very much

My mum used to knit hats / scarves / gloves from the under-fur from our shetland sheepdog when I was young, as I can't wear wool. The method was pretty much as you descrine, but instead of the 'Native American spinner' / drop spindle, she used a 'normal' spinning wheel. After carding, when you use the back of the carders to roll the fur into sausage shapes, these are called 'rolags' (spelling?) from what I remember. I could put you in touch with some of my Viking re-enactor contacts who spin sheep fleece if that would help, but I doubt they would deal with dog fur very much

because the dogs fur is smaller, it does not make rolags, so rolling it over a pencil thin object works fine.

i tried using some sheep wool and that works 100% fine its just the dogs fur that causes problems.

i would love a spinning wheel, but they are very expensive, and i could not talk my wife into it

something i have discovered, dont wash the fur to much it ends up fluff everywhere.

the first lot i washed with dish soap and it cleaned it by pressing it into the water taking care not to stir it up  but this did not remove all the oils so it was still a little smelly, so the second batch of fur i washed it twice and when i went to comb it it was so static it was impossible to use, so back to a gentle wash with dish soap.

Excellent idea.

Most of us can't wait for our furkids to stop blowing.

and

you're just the opposite. . . "

Shed damn you, I need more wool.

Have you seen the size of the floor this rug has to cover ????"

Excellent idea.

Most of us can't wait for our furkids to stop blowing.

and

you're just the opposite. . . "

Shed damn you, I need more wool.

Have you seen the size of the floor this rug has to cover ????"

lol, i have 3, and with the weather last year being up and down all the time they where always blowing

i think i must have missed it by now, the admin of the group has not got back to me and something like that will go fast i imagine

Are you David King? If so, then your membership was approved yesterday - you should have received some kind of automated 'welcome to the group' message and should be receiving messages from the group, unless they are ALL going into your spam folder, or you are not David King.

The spinning wheel has not been marked as taken and that member is normally pretty good at posting taken messages

Are you David King? If so, then your membership was approved yesterday - you should have received some kind of automated 'welcome to the group' message and should be receiving messages from the group, unless they are ALL going into your spam folder, or you are not David King.

The spinning wheel has not been marked as taken and that member is normally pretty good at posting taken messages

yes i have been approved now, the message you sent is a old sewing machine not a spinning wheel.