Hi, I'm New And Need Advice.

Caitlin

Hi Everyone,

My aunt told me about this forum.

I have two huskies. My male, Sky, is 8 months old. My female, Luna, is 6 months old.

I need adivce on my youngest furkid Luna. Since she was 2 months old she got into the habit of swallowing fabrics (manily socks!!)

I do not know how she gets it in but she does. At first we had to take her to the vet... but after that she throws it up or it comes out of her poop.

I have been getting into the habit of not leaving anything around that I think she will get a hold of and swallow. But when I look again she found

something to swallow...

Is this a breed problem? Is she board???

Please any advice will help.

Thank you.

Caitlin

South Africa

A lot of huskies are known to do this - but she very well just be bored.

- How much exercise are they given a day? (keep in mind, because they are still young, they should be getting about + 5 minutes to the walk for every month of age. So, Luna's walks should be no longer than 30 minutes....of course she can have multiple walks a day. This rule is put in place so as to not damage their joints.

- What about mental stimulation? A lot of huskies destroy stuff because they are not mentally stimulated....

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  My husband and I have been taking them out for walks. I did have balls and chew toys for her to play with but she is not intrested in them.

What can I do to stimulate them mentally?

Caitlin

Echoing what Nix said. Mine likes playing hide and seek with treats.

You can try something like this: hide a treat underneath something (a basket or whatever) and watch them try to figure out how to get it! You have to supervise them, though, to make sure they don't eat the basket!

Example of it here, it only took mine a few minutes to figure out how to do it, though I think he learned how after watching me lift it up slightly.

If shes eating things she shouldnt id crate her if she got into problems she could need an operation or worse di from blockages.

Well that's what I am afraid of. I have been giving her a bit of castor oil to help pass the fabric and or to help her to bring it up. We have been Blessed so far that nothing serious has happened. We have been very vigilant in trying to keep things off the floor and counters were she can reach, but unfortunately I have my aunts baby boy that lives with us and he leaves things around.

I have spoken to the mom but I might as well talk to the walls.

Thanks again for all the advice.

there are various toys on the market that stimulate dogs, have a look on line then adapt them to things you have in the home, just like Elyse has done with the basket, and be strict with what she can play with & what she can't, but I would echo others in saying get a crate