First Weekend With The New Addition

Jay

As some of you may know, we adopted a 3rd one on Saturday.  We ended up naming him Kodiak (Kodi for short).  He is between 2-3 years old, and so far is VERY sweet and affectionate to people.  We have had a few issues over the weekend, which I am hoping they will sort it out.  Yukon is so laid back so I was never concerned with them not getting along.  On the visit I brought Nikko, and they did get along very well at the foster's house. 

Back at home Nikko and Kodi got into a few scuffles that I had to break up.  I feel really bad because Nikko is my first and I am a overprotective dad.  I want him to be happy and know that this is his home, so it kind of made me upset when Nikko ran upstairs to be alone and would not even want to come in the same room as us as long as Kodi was there.  I did hear Kodi growl a few times warning Nikko to knock it off, because Nikko can come on very strong.  Yukon, on the other hand likes to be around Kodi and they even curled up together!  I think they will become very close. 

We also had our first group walk this morning where I walked all 3 by myself.  It wasn't as hard as I thought, except that Yukon poops on every walk, so that was kind of hard, but Kodi walks really well on a leash.  I have a coupler I may use to make it easier.

The only thing we know about Kodi is that he was found as a stray in Chicago and spent a couple weeks in Animal Control, where he completely shut down.  He would not eat or move.  The local husky rescue took him in, and he bounced back very quickly.  He is about 55lbs but you can feel his ribs and backbone so we are in the process of getting some weight on him. 

Anyway, that's his story, hopefully they will ALL get along but I know it will take some time. 

post-7184-0-85175800-1366031181_thumb.jp

While on the whole, it sounds like your weekend went better than it could have, I'm also laughing a bit at the spoiled child (Nikko) and "I'm not going to play while he's here!" Give them a few more days and, hopefully, things will settle down.

I do have to say that he is one handsome fellow, you did good to bring him home!!

Nikko IS spoiled rotten!  It's my fault though, I baby him

While on the whole, it sounds like your weekend went better than it could have, I'm also laughing a bit at the spoiled child (Nikko) and "I'm not going to play while he's here!" Give them a few more days and, hopefully, things will settle down.

I do have to say that he is one handsome fellow, you did good to bring him home!!

Long may it continue. :)

After we rescued Darwin

We had 3 months of perfect harmony before Echo decided she just "had" to put him in his place. :(

He's been with us for nearly 3 years now, and while they are still not the 'Best of buddies' they

get on well enough to chase each other around the garden, and they don't get jealous if

any one is getting cuddles etc.

They suggested that I leave the leash on so I can break up any fights, but after the 5-6 scuffles they got in, I have been keeping a hold on his leash more to prevent this from happening.  I don't want Nikko to get injured or not feel safe in his own home.  I know it's Kodi's home now too, but Nikko is my first so...lol

Should I just leave them be to work it out rather than trying to prevent fights, and jump in when it gets out of hand? 

His is really bony, the rescue said that he needs to gain some weight because for the time he was at Animal Control he wasn't eating.  I am not sure how long he was there, I think it was about a week. 

He was found on 3/22 and I think their intake was around the 1st at the rescue.

Glad to hear it's going well!!!

Diesel is 65 lbs and I can feel his back bone...? The vet told us he was the right weight for how tall and long he is.

I leave a leash on any dog that's new / misbehaving ... it makes it a lot easier to correct anything quickly and saves reaching into a squabble when one of them might just "reach out and 'touch' someone" when it's unexpected.  Advantage, I have a short leash (thanks to Avalanche) that's about a meter long, long enough to grab but not so long that it gets in the way.

Avalanche looks like he's underweight and I can feel ribs and backbone, though there is enough 'meat' there that I'm okay with it.  He gets free fed and seriously doesn't eat a whole lot.  Sasha gets one small bowl a day and has gained almost 10 pounds since she was spayed...

There was only one with Yukon I had to break up, but since then they have been getting along good, and now Yukon always wants to be by Kodi.

Nikko will take some time I am sure.  At lunch today he stayed upstairs the whole time :( I just hope he isn't too stressed out. 

YAY! i'm sure it'll work out. When i foster i let them have it out a little at first, just watch and make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

He is handsome!  And with people he is soooo affectionate. Nikko isn't really affectionate at all, but this guy craves attention.

Thats great they are getting along..I hope him and Nikko do..It took a while when I introduced Cherokee to my family..And must I say he is handsome!