Knox Tried To Attack

LittleLuka

Totally off topic since he's a different breed but still wanted to post.

Yesterday we went to the dog park, mind you I take mine like once or twice a week and we like never have issues. Luka isn't a dominant dog so he is never involved in anything and Knox is still a baby. Well, yesterday this guy had his husky puppy (i'd say around 4-6 months old) there and she was playing with Luka for awhile. Then she walked over to me and licked my hand and i was petting her and Knox went nuts!!! He was trying to attack her but luckily I grabbed his harness and held on to him. I thought maybe it was just a random incident but if the puppy even attempted to come near me he went crazy!

As an owner of a bully breed I have more pressure on me than others to present a positive image. This was obviously not happening so we left. I have NO idea what happened. He's never EVER been aggressive. He loves other dogs, plays with Luka 24/7, and has been socialized from day one. I am going to start working on recall training so he will come to me if an altercation takes place. I also think maybe he was guarding me? So i'm going to work on training against resource guarding.

Any other training suggestions? Besides obviously avoiding the dog park for a few weeks.

Oh and i forgot to clarify he's around like 6 months maybe? and he gets neutered Friday so I know that will help as well.

It sounds like he's either guarding you, or just a jealous dog. Ares gets VERY jealous, though he's never tried getting into a fight, he just sits with his head on my legs and kinda growls and shows his teeth, which isn't good either but luckily he's only done it in the house when friends bring their dogs over.

Definitely sounds like guarding. I hope you manage to sort something.

6 months sounds early for a neuter though? In the UK people generally seem to wait until after maturity. 

In the US and Canada, 6 months is very normal for neutering. My boy Embry was done at 5 months, and Ares at 8 months.

Sounds to me like he's protecting you. In some ways it's a good thing. I would not discourage him but train him that when you tell him it's ok he needs to stop. I may be wrong in my thoughts but I knew someone that had a dog like this and the dog was discouraged from doing what he thought was right and it created behavioural problems. It may have been an isolated case but who knows. Please don't hang me if I'm wrong ;)

Gary.

haha no worries gary! i like that he's protective but he can't guard me from other dogs. it will just make it where i won't be able to take him anywhere. i'm working with a friend on recall after he recovers from his surgery.

yeah, 6 months is when they suggest it here. Actually, a lot of rescues will do neuters before that age even. Luka was neutered at 7 months and it was no big deal. I'd prefer earlier than later.

I have a feeling Kodiak will be like that, he already seems like he guards me because he always wants to be by me.  And yesterday when Nikko came by he growled, and I had to correct him.

Whenever the other 2 come by me and I am next to Kodi, he will nudge me to pet him or lay on his back for a belly rub.