Name Genders

mydiamond

I have been a part of H-O for around two years now, and I have met a whole lot of huskies with various names. Some of them made me realize that what sounds like a girl's name in my ears turns out to be a boy's name, and vice versa  :o For example, before I met any Lukas in H-O, I always thought that name fits a female. Now I know several Lukas and all of them are boys! The same thing happens to the name "Juneau" (or "Juno") which IMO perfectly fits a baby boy. But so far, there is only one male Juneau I know. The rest of the Juneau population is definitely a girl x) what's wrong with my ears? XD

So what makes a name sound feminine or masculine to you? For me, names that end with an "a" or "i" sound is a female name. Like "Luka"  :P other than that, Luka is the name of a Japanese game character which is a girl, so... yeah, the image kinda stuck on my head. Male names are wider in variety but mostly names that end with "o" sound is masculine to me. Like Balto, Niko, Roscoe, and... well, Juno  :P I also think that names with obvious meanings (like "Diamond" or "Midnight" or "Winter") are mostly unisex. But apparently "Diamond" sounds feminine in most people's ears  :rolleyes: my poor baby boy I've lost count on how many people that thought he's a girl! I do realize that a diamond is often associated with rings and necklaces and all those girly stuffs but almost everything is named "diamond" around here. Barbershops, laundromats, convenient stores, almost anything really. That is why I thought I can get away with it, but apparently anywhere I go I can't escape the question: "is that a female?"  <_<

so yeah in the end this is just me making sure if I'm the only one who thinks this way  :P would anyone tell me I'm not alone please? 

This sounds like a good one to play with .... I'd guess that most names are culturally derived in some fashion or other.

Of course the Spanish Speakers among us are automatically going to jump to "Names ending in 'a' are feminine (Maria, Juana, etc) and those ending in 'o' are naturally masculine (Franco, Pablo, etc)"  (( This probably applies to most Romance languages, no? ))

While Japanese first and last names. ... -shi, -ya, or -o are typically male first names, while names ending in -ko, -mi, -e and -yo are typically female first names.

Here in the west, I think it falls into terms of what we have considered to be male and female names ( 'A Boy Named Sue' :) )

Any other cultures want to chime in .... ??  :)

Hm...good topic.

I guess I go by how the name sounds in general. Though people often mistake 'Suka' for a girl, even though he's a boy... :P

When I saw 'Luka' (LittleLuka's), I immediately knew it was a boy. I associated it with 'Luke', and because that's strictly a male name over here, to me it was a no-brainer. :)

I generally think of 'strong sounding' names like "Apache", "Cherokee", "Thor", "Zeus", "Yukon", "Malik", "Aero", etc as boys. I guess they have to sound, er, 'masculine'. It's hard to explain.

And, if the name is 'soft sounding' (like Larka, Sasha, Nala, Sitka, Nikita, Echo, Meeka, etc), I think of them as females. 

Of course, sometimes I'm proven wrong. But then I just adapt my 'strategy'. Example:

I had thought Yuki (Mobezilla's) was a boy for the longest time, I know that goes against my own 'rules', but I think I would associate the name with 'Yu-Gi-Oh', and since that guy in the show is a male then...yeah. I always assumed Yuki was a male, until I was told otherwise. :P

Then there are your uni-sex names... those I just take a stab in the dark with. I always thought Juno was a girl's name...but maybe that's because I always think of the movie... :P

Yuki has always been a unisex name to me and when I come across a dog called Yuki I always have a hard time guessing is it a she or a he :P "Cherokee" sounds like a female's name in my ears though... I think it's the long "ee" sound at the end :P 

hmm i guess mine sound about right then Suki With the feminin i at the end ;) haha and Shadow with the o. Pips fairly unisex but suits a girl better i think :)

I always think of Luka as male because Luke is a male name, but when we got Suki, dad suggested Luka for her so i guess thats unisex too lol.

It's whatever you feel suits your dog.

One of my girlies is called Daughtry

after the rock singer Chris Daughtry and his band Also Daughtry.

Now Chris and the band are all male.

However a surname isn't gender specific so I can get away with calling her by that name.

I would have thought diamond was female because we associate diamonds and all sparkly

gemstones to be something you give or buy for females.

Diamonds are a girls best friend and all that. . . :)

Hm...good topic.

I guess I go by how the name sounds in general. Though people often mistake 'Suka' for a girl, even though he's a boy... :P

When I saw 'Luka' (LittleLuka's), I immediately knew it was a boy. I associated it with 'Luke', and because that's strictly a male name over here, to me it was a no-brainer. :)

I generally think of 'strong sounding' names like "Apache", "Cherokee", "Thor", "Zeus", "Yukon", "Malik", "Aero", etc as boys. I guess they have to sound, er, 'masculine'. It's hard to explain.

And, if the name is 'soft sounding' (like Larka, Sasha, Nala, Sitka, Nikita, Echo, Meeka, etc), I think of them as females. 

Of course, sometimes I'm proven wrong. But then I just adapt my 'strategy'. Example:

I had thought Yuki (Mobezilla's) was a boy for the longest time, I know that goes against my own 'rules', but I think I would associate the name with 'Yu-Gi-Oh', and since that guy in the show is a male then...yeah. I always assumed Yuki was a male, until I was told otherwise. :P

Then there are your uni-sex names... those I just take a stab in the dark with. I always thought Juno was a girl's name...but maybe that's because I always think of the movie... :P

See I have a girl and her name is Cherokee and then i have a girl that is Meeka and Larka...and my boys name is echo

I have always thought of Echo as a boy but i have never heard of any other male dog named Echo i have only heard of females named Echo...and i have a girl named Meeka and i met someone the other day that had a boy named Meeka...Demon sounds like a males name to me but Echos mom is named Demon..I think of Luka as a male..then there is the name Marley which I have met alot of people who have males or females by the name of Marley..anymore its hard to determine a dogs gender by their name because everyone thinks of them differently..but to look at them i couldnt guess either because sometimes i feel like Meeka looks like a boy but i assure you she is female lol and plenty of other people have called her a boy also

This is a great topic.

My first Sibe was Sasha.  Male.  Although with the feminine sound.  It is a male name originally Russian.  Many people thought he was a she including the vet.

Rori is a male name typically spelt Rory.  Originated from Ireland.  My Rori is a girl.

Morgan yet again a male name.  My daughter has that name.  Most associate it as a female name but has male origin. 

I typically tend to switch things up.  I always said that if I ever had another female child her name would have been Micheal.  Mikey for short.  I do however feel there are names that should not cross over however I find a lot of them do.  I suppose it is for people to question the reasoning....lol.  I would never have a boy named Sue :P that would just be torture.

see storm to me is a boys name. but i know of female storms including storm the person!

Yep see i see my name as a female name but thats because its mine lol i have also men a boy called storm to and obviously all the storm huskies :D

So many names are unisex these days it's hard to tell! Luka is an old 80's song and I'm pretty sure it's about a female (person singing it was a girl anyway) but there's plenty of male fogs with the name too! Everyone thinks Bear is a boy. Partly cos she's so huge and stocky and partly coz of her name. I chose it because when she came in she was a tiny fuzzball with huge oversized paws, that I called her bear feet! Lol. Nevermind calling my dog a wolf, I saw more comparison with a big brown bear!

Kaiden and parker, even when i tell people their names, most people think parker is a female by his looks...

But i hear them both as boys names...i dont really think either would work for a female.

i have a friend (girl) whose name is Parker

but i do agree usually it sounds masculine to me

As far as my Luka goes, i've never seen a female with the name. I've always thought Suka was a male as well just because i assume if he was a female it'd be more like Suki. I do however, like Elyse deal with most people assuming Luka is a girl. Whether or not this has to do with his name, i'm not sure. I think he's just too pretty ;)

On another note, I deal with this issue regarding my name all the time. I've always been called Alex my whole life but when it comes to writing emails at my job or even chatting online here i have to write out Alexandra so people will know i'm female.