Do You Guys Think This Is A Legit Safe Way To Rid Fleas?

HuskyGuerl

I just did a Google for dogs and vinegar and if I believe everything I read there, vinegar:

• chases fleas
  • cures arthritis
  • cures doggy odor
  • helps with upset stomach
  • acts as a disinfectant
  • deodorizes "mistake" spots

It may do a lot of things, but when someone starts telling me that "xyz will take care of all your problems!" I really have to take a big step back!

"Dawn and vinegar kills fleas" - well, dawn alone will kill fleas ...

There's also an old wives tale that says that garlic will kill fleas, help control doggy odor and cure intestinal parasites - and kill the dog at the same time - not a smart move.

It, the vinegar, may have some beneficial effect but *I* wouldn't hope for a complete "cure".

We've used diluted vinegar for fleas before it helps but doesn't get rid of them. We didnt add any type of soap to it though our vet also said if you use too much vinegar it can cause a reaction on the dog and can harm them (can't think of how this was at least 8years ago)

I'm not sure how much vinegar we put on though.

If the problem is bad vinegar will not help. We solved the problem once for good by defleating all pets at home at the same time with Advocate plus defleating the house with industrial cleaning solution. Otherwise you will play with fleas forever. Vinegar will kill some fleas but ticks and babies remain.

I heard about the garlic but never tried it on my dogs..I take pills though and I haven't been bit by a flea in a year but people who come over do and I feel bad..last year we bug bombed the house then sprayed around outside and inside windows and doors and gave dogs flea pills and we didn't have a major problem but still had them because the pill only kills when a flea bites..we tried tons of yard stuff but it worked for about a week because my neighbors have a very trashy yard

Garlic is only dangerous to dogs if given in large doses over a long period of time. Garlic and all members of the onion family (Allium) contain a substance called n-propyldisulfide  which can cause damage to red blood cells, anaemia and even death in extreme cases. Garlic contains much less of this substance than do common onions and a little raw garlic from time to time does have beneficial effects. We don't give ours garlic, but we do have wild garlic growing around the house and they tend to graze on the leaves. As a result, I haven't seen a flea on any of our dogs in years. The only time we see fleas is when we have a rescue foster in.

Garlic is only dangerous to dogs if given in large doses over a long period of time. Garlic and all members of the onion family (Allium) contain a substance called n-propyldisulfide  which can cause damage to red blood cells, anaemia and even death in extreme cases. Garlic contains much less of this substance than do common onions and a little raw garlic from time to time does have beneficial effects. We don't give ours garlic, but we do have wild garlic growing around the house and they tend to graze on the leaves. As a result, I haven't seen a flea on any of our dogs in years. The only time we see fleas is when we have a rescue foster in.

That is very interesting...our flea problem wouldnt be bad if it wasnt for my neighbors not taking care of their yard and allowing there cats to run all over the place