Microchip Story

CARRINGTON

So here around where I live we knew this lady who had a purebred dog (can't think of the breed) and even had the papers for him. His name was Clancy and he was let out everyday in his yard and when the lady left for work she would bring Clancy back in. The yard was big and fenced in. Well one day after she let him out and went to bring him back out, he was gone, the fence door was open. So she was very worried and she was almost due with her first child, so she put out all kinds of signs and posters saying her dog was lost. Her dog was NOT microchipped, and one day her friend came over so they could go walking. About 5 blocks away the lady saw a dog that looked like her Clancy in someones backyard. She went up to the dog and the dog responded to her and was so excited to see her, so the lady went around and knocked at the door saying that is my dog you have back there, he has his papers at my house. The lady said that was not her dog and to leave before she called the police. Well that night she went into labor and her son was born with a heart defect so he had to have emergency surgery. Well she was able to come home a few days later but the baby was not, the next morning the lady heard a scratch on the door and it was her dog. She let him in and fixed him breakfast and was really excited to have him back. Later that day the lady came with a police officer accusing her of stealing her dog, and she said no this is my Clancy I have his paper work and she showed the officer but he said that wasn't proof that it was her dog but just a dog that looked like this one. The officer asked if he was chipped or if there was any other markings on the dog that would identify him as hers and she said no, so sadly the officer had to take the dog from her and give it to the other lady, the officer said he could go to court if she wished but the lady was so stressed about her newborn son and knew she wouldn't win that she said the lady could keep him. Well a few days later the lady came and knocked on her door with Clancy and said since the dog isn't yours anymore can I have his papers. Good thing Clancys actual owner was thinking and said you said that wasn't my Clancy so you cannot have his papers because that is not Clancy and to leave before she called the police. So she left and hasn't heard from her since.

Needless to say: get your animals chipped or identified.

That is an awful truth.  People are so cruel.  We have had that same problem in my neighborhood.  That is why my dogs are NEVER outside unless we are with them.  My neighbor had a small dog that came up missing.  She was devastated.  From my back porch I can see the neighbor below mes back yard.  I told my neighbor that is where her missing dog was.  She went down there to claim her dog back.  The people who stole her dog from her yard took it to the vet had it fixed, shots, x-rays, dental, all tests ran on it.  They gave the rightful owner the dog with a very expensive vet bill. 

Do you have any research that shows chipping does not prove ownership ?   I would have thought it would

Nope in some places chipping does not prove ownership because shelters now chip, in some places it all depends on who pays the vet bills since dogs can be sold, given away, etc.

Very sad story but in Missouri microchipping is not the only way to show proof well at least two years ago it wasnt..My friend had her siberian husky stolen and she found him in someones yard and called the police and the only verification she had was TONS of pictures and videos of him from a puppy till then and the police took in all the markings in the videos and pictures and it was him and they made the lady give him back plus pressed charges for stealing

Hmmm ... that prompted me to make a couple of phone calls just to satisfy my curiosity.

HomeAgain and PetWatch both gave me the same response:  If animal control or the police were to contact them, they'd give them contact information as listed.  If it were a vet or civilian, they'd take contact information and then contact the registered owner.  Okay, so far, so good.

They can go no further than to state who the registered owner is - even if contacted by the police.

Local sheriff's office (who is also responsible for animal control):  They'd attempt to contact the registered owner.  If there were a conflict of ownership - as in your friends case - presuming that the animal's registration was not "just yesterday" they'd go by the registration and return the dog to the registered owner.  At that point it's up to the two claiming parties to go to court to settle the issue.  If the claimant could show that they'd "owned" the dog by vet bills, etc then it could get nasty.  The sheriff would go by the preponderance of the evidence.

Do you have any research that shows chipping does not prove ownership ?   I would have thought it would

i personally dont , ive read stories on here and off however how a dog has gone missing etc found by someone else n kept despite being microchipped , after all , when we got skyla she was chipped to her breeder , i had the papers to change that chip , however when i want to change the name and address (shes under my dads name) when i move out , all i will have to do is pay a small fee n they will change it , now how are they going to know if i have stolen her or if shes actually mine n ive just moved

Just wondering, how could the OP prove it was their dog since she had to give it to her?

Surely ringing the police shouldn't be enough to do that??

I'm curious of this as well. Dog is in possession with original owner who has papers...yet, someone else just has to call the police and claim it is theirs and the police just go "Sorry, they said it's theirs, give it up!" No police officer would gank a dog out of a home without proof and they wouldn't have wrote off the owner having papers that easily...they just happened to have papers of the same breed dog they [supposedly] 'stole'? Some thing is wrong with their law enforcement if that's the case. One things for sure, new baby or not, I'd be going to court if this happened to me.

Saying that, I never leave my dogs unattended outside. They are pretty much house dogs, even Ro [he needs excersize of course, but he gets all of it supervised]. 

The intestinal constitution of some members of the hominid species leaves me aghast.

For myself, I have had my kids in a run surrounded securely with six-foot fencing the door to which

is heavily padlocked and is kept locked at all times. You would need a hacksaw to get

through it and by the time you did, the police would be cuffing you. For me, Security is priority #1 both for myself and for the "kids". So far, there have been no problems with puppy pilfering upon my property (sorry, I just love alliteration . . .)

Just wondering, how could the OP prove it was their dog since she had to give it to her?

Surely ringing the police shouldn't be enough to do that??

The lady said he saw the original owner take her dog out and how the lady had come

Demanding her dog. Also if the other lady had stolen her dog then she should have called

The police but didn't and let it go. Also the papers do not prove that dog is your or it is that exact dog. She had no other

Proof it was hers but since the lady called the cop,

Had been keeping the dog and it had no identification then she was able to keep him. If the original owner wanted her dog back then she should have called the cops the day she saw him.