Thundershirt For Anxiety

Frenchie

As some of you may know, Mishka suffers from quite severe separation anxiety, she gets so stressed out she won't even eat and drink, or even play with her favorite toy when I'm gone, as well as the usual howling and barking that drives the neighbours mad at times. Although I rarely leave her on her own, I always feel so bad doing so as she gets so stressed out.

Well today, after having read many reviews, I went and bought the Thundershirt, and it seems it I was my lucky day as I got it for £5 instead of the original price of £35.

How does it work? Its a simple shirt, which must be a nice snug fit, it has chest straps who apply pressure to the dog's chest, and this happens to have a very soothing and calming effect on most dogs, as if they were being held.

What can I say, I have some faith in this product! About 10 minutes after putting it on, she seemed a different dog! She is so calm, I've rarely seen her like this, even her enemy the hair dryer didn't make her move, usually she'd be gone before its even turned on.

Tomorrow is the big test, as I have to leave her for about 45 minutes, I will be putting it on her 15 minutes before I leave, along with her filled kong and water. I'll let you know how it went. :)

I will do :)

It does have a satisfaction guaranted so you can bring it back even if you've used it, that is how I got mine so cheap, someone baught it back because it was too big for their dog and as the store was out of stock, they told me I could have this one if I made a £5.donation to charity as they couldn't resell it due to the item not being registered on their system anymore.

I bought Sasha a thundershirt and it helps her so much. She was a bit like what's this thing mum when I first put it on her in the shop to make sure it fit her properly but within a few minutes she was a different dog she calmed down and went up to people to say hello which she doesn't normally do :)

How did you go with it?

Glad it's working for you! I know so many people who've had success with these. Sadly, mine hated it so much even with happy training and treats lol :( He's not a big cuddler and hates restraint though, so not too surprised.

So we've used the thundershirt a couple of times now and it definately helps!

The first time, Mishka did have a wee (she always does this as soon as I close the door, even if she's been out 10 minutes before hand) but nothing was destroyed in the house, I arrived and she was laying on the sofa calmly, usually I'd be jumped on and woohoo'ed as soon as I come in.

The second time, there was no mess and she even played with her kong!

All in all, I think its a great product for a lot of dogs it definately helps, but like Jakeo, it might not be for all dogs as some could feel restrained and stress out even more, and the price is a bit much if you're not sure its going to work.

But its working great with my girl, so I'm thrilled :D

That is great!! I may have to try this!! Echo always gets out of his cage when we are gone so we just started leaving him out so he don't break it..well instead he tears up everything like the wall and floor

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Think I'm going to have to give one of these a try. Medium size about right? My fella is still very skinny at the moment but he's also pretty small in general

Mishka is quite small too, but she still had to get a large. Pets at home lets you try the different sizes on your dog before you buy though, so just see which one fits your boy best :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I might have to give this a try with my new girl. She gets severe SA when I leave her. She was returned to the shelter TWICE so it's definitely understandable that she freaks out when I leave her. Maybe the Thundershirt would help...thanks for your review!

Hmm, I might have to give this a try with my new girl. She gets severe SA when I leave her. She was returned to the shelter TWICE so it's definitely understandable that she freaks out when I leave her. Maybe the Thundershirt would help...thanks for your review!

Let us know how she gets on with it if you give it a go. :) its good to see the effects on different dogs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

So....the Thundershirt seemed to have next to no effect on Ziva :(. Maybe after trying it a few times it'll work out better. When I first put it on her, she wobbled around a little bit as if she'd lost her balance. I stayed around with her for a while after putting it on and then tried crating her. She had the same reaction as always. She showed all the signs of her usual separation anxiety. I had high hopes for the Thundershirt. Hopefully some further training will help :)

my boy is a donkey in the car but the first time I put it on him we went 200 miles without a murmur. I reviewd it on here too and highly recommended it, glad it worked for mishka sorry it was not as effective for you Amanda :-(

my boy is a donkey in the car but the first time I put it on him we went 200 miles without a murmur. I reviewd it on here too and highly recommended it, glad it worked for mishka sorry it was not as effective for you Amanda :-(

I've kept trying it and it still hasn't had any effect on her. I'm glad it has worked for some of you though!