Pinch/prong Collar For Luna

love4Luna

I do know these collars are quite controversial. Not everyone likes them, and they are not for everyone.

However, I got one for Luna, and I LOVE it! No, I did not just go out and buy one, slap it on her and go... Luna just started obedience training, and she was a bit ADD in class. Our trainer decided to just try it out and see how she did with it. She showed me (first) how to properly size it and apply it. Then, she took Luna and showed me how to PROPERLY use it. I took my turn at it while she watched to make sure I was doing everything right.

WOW! What a difference! It doesn't seem to hurt her, just gives a bit of discomfort to bring her attention back to me. Her body language is upbeat and happy with it. On a 1-10 scale, her success with training before was at a 3, now I'd say she is at 7/8. In fact, we had a VERY GOOD day yesterday going out to the store. Luna stayed at my side the entire time. No jumping or pulling. We just seemed to have an excellent connection with each other. She was very happy, tail up and wagging, I'd even say she was smiling. :) I only gave her a little tug maybe 4 times while we were out.

I think it makes a huge difference when you know what you are doing with it. I was a bit weary of using it at first, but after being educated and I'd say "trained" on using it, it works for us.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised they used them on such a young puppy. I considered it for a bit, but was told not until 6 months or so.

I asked about that, and they told me with how jumpy she was with everyone (jumpy as hopping up on people and other dogs there) it might be better to start her a bit early. Its easier to correct a 15 lb puppy from jumping/pulling than waiting until she is bigger. It totally made sense to me... And hey, it works!

Uh oh, here comes an argument, lol. I use one. Love it. Most of the time Viggo does not need one, but if I am taking him out where there could be other agressive dogs on leash, I use it to maintain better control of him.

I have used it since he was about 4 months old I guess. The puppy obedience class I took him to highly recommended it.

Uh oh, here comes an argument, lol. I use one. Love it. Most of the time Viggo does not need one, but if I am taking him out where there could be other agressive dogs on leash, I use it to maintain better control of him.

I have used it since he was about 4 months old I guess. The puppy obedience class I took him to highly recommended it.

I don't use it much, just during 10-15 minute training sessions.

And I realize not everyone likes them, and that's OK!! :) We all have our own opinions. What works for us doesn't necessarily mean it will work for others.

I think I may try one on Suka. I've tried other ways, and quite frankly, it doesn't work.

His 'jerk' pulling has to stop (he walks loose leash until he sees something he wants to get to, then he pulls like a freight train.) He's pulled down myself and my Mom numerous times, one time nearly breaking my Mom's arm. 

I've tried the martingale - and while it helps somewhat, its not enough. I've tried positive reinforcement - its doesn't do jack.

So, I'll be picking one up this summer - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Good luck with Luna..

I don't use it much, just during 10-15 minute training sessions.

And I realize not everyone likes them, and that's OK!! :) We all have our own opinions. What works for us doesn't necessarily mean it will work for others.

It's mostly a US training tool, As you see, everyone that's commented so far with regards to using them is from the US. It's much less socially acceptable in the UK an they are banned in Wales. The Kennel Club are trying to ban them in the UK completely. I've seen severe damage done by these tools. I wouldn't dream of putting them on any dog - let alone a puppy.

US trainers really need to explore positive reinforcement more.

I'm not criticising you for using it or your choice but I'm ranting about US training.

I think I may try one on Suka. I've tried other ways, and quite frankly, it doesn't work.

His 'jerk' pulling has to stop (he walks loose leash until he sees something he wants to get to, then he pulls like a freight train.) He's pulled down myself and my Mom numerous times, one time nearly breaking my Mom's arm.

I've tried the martingale - and while it helps somewhat, its not enough. I've tried positive reinforcement - its doesn't do jack.

So, I'll be picking one up this summer - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Good luck with Luna..

I hope it works for you! I couldn't get Luna to walk loose leash before it. Now, she understands where she is supposed to be when walking. And now, she rarely needs a tug.

When its used correctly, it imitates a mother's corrective nip. I've had no issues with it, good luck! :)

I hope it works for you! I couldn't get Luna to walk loose leash before it. Now, she understands where she is supposed to be when walking. And now, she rarely needs a tug.

When its used correctly, it imitates a mother's corrective nip. I've had no issues with it, good luck! :)

Thank you - it was hard working getting him to walk loose-leash with the martingale. He still needs 'reminders' sometimes. 

And yes - that's what I heard...dogs are only injured when it is not used or fitted properly. 

I'm going to stick my nose into this topic a bit.  Yes, this is a controversial subject.  Yes, there are people that deplore the use of this type of training device.  Yes, there are people that feel it is a useful tool.  Those are all side bars.  All I ask, is that people that post on this thread, check your emotions at the door.  It is fine to express an opinion, just try to keep from exagerating the delivery of that opinion.  Also, remember nothing is absolute; and that includes this very sentence.

If you feel you need to make a comment, do so in a positive and supportive manner.  If you can't do that, then pass by and go to the next topic on the forum. If you feel offended by a comment, DO NOT respond, but use the report system to let staff know.  Let us look at things and make an unbiased determination.

Thus far, this topic has been on an even kiel.  Let's keep it going that direction.

The thing to remember is it is just another tool. I used one on Ryn for a period of time, after being taught how to use it properly, with great results. It's not something we use everyday, by any means. The thing to remember is it, like any other training tool, should not be used for more than training. It is a step to using your everyday halter, collar, or whatever 'neck control' you use for your dog. Each is a tool that cannot replace training for your K9.

If you are getting good results, and plan to graduate from using the pinch to using a regular collar, then I believe it has a place in your basket of training tools. If you are relying on it 24/7, then I suggest finding an alternative.

And yes, I've put the collar on and tugged. Yes, it pinched, but I bear no scars, or injuries from it - THOUGH I do believe that the prong could quite easily be misused by those untrained or those bent on hurting a dog - as are other devices.

Common sense is the best tool when training.

According to a booklet put out by Bay Area Siberian Husky Club, "The prong is an interlocking steel link collar that looks like a medieval torture device, but it is actually a gentle tool for training many dogs with little or no tugging, jerking, or pulling. However it is not suitable for all dogs, and herein lies the problem."

"The prong is the most misunderstood. Those trainers who put one on every dog are as misguided as those who refuse to use them. The prong is not suitable for aggressive dogs and is too harsh for extrememly shy or fearful dogs. The prong is not suitable for young puppies, although it can be used under the guidance of an experienced trainer for older puppies.

"The prong is made of interlocking links, each with two blunt prongs that pinch the dogs skin when the collar is tightened. it should fit snugly just below the dogs ears. Unlike the chain slip collar, it puts even pressure around the neck by pinching the skin in a band about a half ince wide. No pressure is put directly on the trachea."

On Head Collars:

"Although hailed by some as the only humane training devices effective on every dog, they do not live up to this advance billing.  The head collar can injure a thin-necked dog and is not suitable for nervous, fearful, or jumpy dogs, and the no-pull halter may be counterproductive onthick-skinned, hard-headed dogs. The head collar and no-pull halter work by pressuring the dog's head in the former, and the underarms in the latter."

That is great news!! I do not like them but when training like this I believe it is fine if used properly. Actually thought about getting one, anytime we go in public with Cherokee she will lunge on the leash at other dogs and we have tried everything to stop her and nothing works. maybe i will look into it and watch some videos before buying one though

That is great news!! I do not like them but when training like this I believe it is fine if used properly. Actually thought about getting one, anytime we go in public with Cherokee she will lunge on the leash at other dogs and we have tried everything to stop her and nothing works. maybe i will look into it and watch some videos before buying one though

Rather than watching a video, I'd suggest being shown how to use it properly by someone with experience.

Americans generally seem to be more accepting of methods that really don't go down well here. Prong collars, shock collars, ear cropping etc. Of course she's not going to be jumping up, she physically can't unless she wants stabbing in the neck! 

I'd like to add that I was opposed to them too, until we had an issue. I was trained in using them properly and would never, ever put my girl at risk by using a tool that I didn't know how to use.

Common sense and proper instruction is the only way they should be used, by Americans or anyone else.

Never used one as I use a WYDWL harness and it works wonders with Luka. I'm not a big fan of walking with a collar anyways it strains their neck too much, IMO. However I consider myself lucky because Luka doesn't really pull that bad haha. Knox on the other hand sheesh

I'm going to stick my nose into this topic a bit.  Yes, this is a controversial subject.  Yes, there are people that deplore the use of this type of training device.  Yes, there are people that feel it is a useful tool.  Those are all side bars.  All I ask, is that people that post on this thread, check your emotions at the door.  It is fine to express an opinion, just try to keep from exagerating the delivery of that opinion.  Also, remember nothing is absolute; and that includes this very sentence.

If you feel you need to make a comment, do so in a positive and supportive manner.  If you can't do that, then pass by and go to the next topic on the forum. If you feel offended by a comment, DO NOT respond, but use the report system to let staff know.  Let us look at things and make an unbiased determination.

Thus far, this topic has been on an even kiel.  Let's keep it going that direction.

BUMPING :)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would ask that if you disagree with the topic then either don't post

or try to make it constructive rather than destructive.

You may have a personal opinion, but it is yours.

Please don't get angry with others if they don't share it.

Americans generally seem to be more accepting of methods that really don't go down well here. Prong collars, shock collars, ear cropping etc. Of course she's not going to be jumping up, she physically can't unless she wants stabbing in the neck! 

Please do not stereotype on this forum. That comment is not only completely incorrect in my experience, to some it will also be offensive.

Oh really??? You may want to take a look at the member flags you are directing this at in your post.

Here's a tip: Your dog your rules. My dog my rules! :mouthshut:

Oh really??? You may want to take a look at the member flags you are directing this at in your post.

Here's a tip: Your dog your rules. My dog my rules! :mouthshut:

Already pointed out by a member of staff, no need to carry it on please

I don't agree with them I have to say positive reinforcement works best but I'm not opposed to people using them. The only reason I disagree is I've seen some of the things they have done when not used correctly. HOWEVER- if you are on this forum I think it's safe to say you have a great love for your dog and are not harming them.

If it works for you- great!

I also know these collars are controversial, however I have used them with Nikko and Yukon since they were 4 months old. Our trainer taught us how to use it as a tool and I have never heard them whimper while its on. It made a world of difference in their walks. I even started Kodi on one and it is like night and day. They seem to know when it's on and they don't pull. My trainer suggested it on the first day of class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk