Pinch/prong Collar For Luna

love4Luna

Amber I am in the same boat. We took Balto to training and our instructor had us use one and Balto did a 360!!! It was amazing. We now use it when going to busy places and it really helped us. As

Time goes on we decrease the amount used when he learns what to do. If it works for you go for it only during training and walks until she knows what to do. Do not leave it on her at all times and never in a crate.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amber I am in the same boat. We took Balto to training and our instructor had us use one and Balto did a 360!!! It was amazing. We now use it when going to busy places and it really helped us. As

Time goes on we decrease the amount used when he learns what to do. If it works for you go for it only during training and walks until she knows what to do. Do not leave it on her at all times and never in a crate.

Yep. That's what we have been doing. I was trained by a professional trainer on how to use it, I had to perform for her to show I was doing it right. (Who is going for training me or Luna ;) lol)

But yes, we only use it while in training mode, about 10-15 minutes, then it comes off.

I didn't mean to start a war here, jeez. :( I felt if I were to mention training was going good for ME, and what I was doing for ME was working, this would be the place to say it. I hate drama, and never would have thought it would have spiraled out. I love this forum, and the people too! I feel comfortable asking questions and sharing my insight with others without feeling belittled or attacked. And I realize not everyone is going to agree with everything and everyone here. But that's what's great here! We all get to share our stories, opinions, and experiences. SO, if I have offended anyone, I am truly sorry. That was not my intention. I was just merely sharing my story. :(

-Amber

Yep. That's what we have been doing. I was trained by a professional trainer on how to use it, I had to perform for her to show I was doing it right. (Who is going for training me or Luna ;) lol)

But yes, we only use it while in training mode, about 10-15 minutes, then it comes off.

I didn't mean to start a war here, jeez. :( I felt if I were to mention training was going good for ME, and what I was doing for ME was working, this would be the place to say it. I hate drama, and never would have thought it would have spiraled out. I love this forum, and the people too! I feel comfortable asking questions and sharing my insight with others without feeling belittled or attacked. And I realize not everyone is going to agree with everything and everyone here. But that's what's great here! We all get to share our stories, opinions, and experiences. SO, if I have offended anyone, I am truly sorry. That was not my intention. I was just merely sharing my story. :(

-Amber

I don't feel that way, but then again I agree with you and the use of training collars as I use them on mine.  I only use them on walks, and when we go to places with a big crowd.  I never leave them on at any other times.  They know not to pull with them on at this point, it is kind of a trigger.  Since we also bike with them they have learned the difference.   

I've had a lot of success with mine after trying too many different things for walks. Now unless it's prime time for -everyone- to be walking their dogs out, I don't have to use it woohoo! It's really been the only thing I've gotten him to respond happily to... check chain and harness he paid no mind to, head collars he hated and was no longer excited to go for a walk once I got it out (yes, did proper training/fitting/conditioning :( ). He's just as happy to see the pinch as he is to see his normal collar or leash!

We do use it in my obedience class for many things but it's taught to be an enjoyable motivator for them. Everyone's dogs are happy and attentive after a "pop", whether used with a pinch collar or regular buckle collar. Never are they used for angry/harsh correction as people seem to think, and in my classes we really don't pop that hard with pinches. It's meant to be a happy reminder/correction/attention grab/motivator, ex: dog running too far ahead while heeling? small pop to remind them to stay in the right spot, and a YAY WOO GOOD BOY when he gets it. The goal is to not need them obviously, as any tools cannot be taken into competition rings lol.

-Amber

Don't worry.

There are a few subjects on Husky Owners that will always get heated.

Prong collars being one of them, mostly due to the  injuries caused to the dog if not used correctly.

and no-one wants to see any dog caused unnecessary harm.

If you've been trained correctly and wish to use one it's your choice.

Let us know how the training progresses, and if and when you feel, your pooch has learned enough not to need one at all. :)

Must admit, I disagree with the use of prong and electro collars.... Mainly because I've seen the injuries that they can cause when not used correctly... However.... If they're being used in the right way by people who have been trained how to use then, and the dogs aren't being harmed, then it's down to individual preferences. Personally, both @Devildust76 (Sy) and I have used positive training with NILIF, and Kodiak has done really well on it. I think the reason for the heated discussions here are mainly because we don't use these types of training techniques in the UK, where as they are more commonly used in the US.

I've seen horrible injuries caused by flat collars, the reality is that prong collars are just a tool. Even anti pull harnesses are aversive to dogs on some level otherwise they wouldnt work. Any tool can cause injury to a dog if its used incorrectly - as with anything abuse is in the user not the tool.

I've seen hundreds of dogs trained on prong collars and e collars and none have ever been injured or close to it. If it can help a dog owner achieve the results they need with their dogs then I hold no judgement :)

There are many things as a dog trainer that I train without correction, but what I can achieve isn't the same as what a stressed and inexperienced dog owner can achieve especially when the dog is displaying behavior that is dangerous to people and other dogs. It's also important to remember that positive reinforcement is only one quadrant of operant conditioning and training a dog purely with PR is impossible. There are lots of methods out there and the best one is the one that works for you and your dog. :)