Translation, Please.

Removed #5

I wasn't sure where to put this, but with some of the answers I can see coming through, Jokes, etc seems to be the best place.

So:  what you Brits call "mince" looks like what we in the US would call "ground <something>", yes??

and for a long winded discussion would someone please explain "council" to me ... it looks to be a conglomeration of government groups - but you pay them rent??  I'm confused ...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm probably not the best person, but here goes.

I live in town of Penrith which is in the county of Cumbria and my local council is Eden District Council, they are responsible for lots of things like, bin collections (translation to garbage collection?) the upkeep of public places like the park, the library etc. they also make sure the town centre streets are swept etc, there are lots of other things that they do (or don't do depending on your views). We the people who live here have to pay for their services, this is not optional and it is called council tax, the rate you pay is determined by you home, so if you live in the cheaper homes you are band A and pay less than the more expensive home (I think). Eden District Council's boss (for want of a better word) is Cumbria County Council, they look after all the councils within Cumbria (my county or translation to state but on a much smaller scale). Hope this helps Al, but google may do better than me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is trying to figure out what you guys on the other side of the ocean are talking about. :)

One that took me a while was boiler. Lol.

and I don't think it matters which side of the ocean you're on ... I know what a double boiler is, what's a boiler?

Cherrie:  I've tried googling for it and can't see anything that's a lot of help. It's obvious that there are parts of "the council" that fill the same jobs as our county governments do. The problem that one of our members had with rats coming from a construction site next to their house was turned in to council (our health department of county gov?). There are occasional references to "council housing" which I presumed is similar to our "section 8" (subsidized) housing. It just seems to fill a lot more tasks than our local gov would do.

We have two types of mince.

One is ground beef or lamb, what you guys refer to as Loose meat.

mince.jpg

and

the second is the sweet sticky mixture used to make Mince pies at christmas.

Booths-Mince-Pie_1547299c.jpg

I like this keep um coming Al :)

A boiler is what we use for the heating sure its the same there !!!!!!!!! the only other type of boiler is the female type but I better not go down that road  :rofl:

What is a double boiler ???????????

a boiler then would be a furnace with the heat being distributed through radiators.

A double boiler is a cooking device, see wikipedia entry.  I think I've actually see you guys call it a bain- marie.

I'm real tempted to ask what the female type of boiler is, but I think I can imagine ...

We have two types of mince.

One is ground beef or lamb, what you guys refer to as Loose meat.

I'd never refer to it as "loose meat" - to me it's ground beef ( or whatever, since they grind almost anything these days )

My grandmother used to make mince meat pies! Loved them but they were always way to sweet for my sweet tooth!

and WHY ???????

do you call the fringe of hair over the forehead. . . . Bangs?????

What's the etymology of that?

HUH ? eh? wot? :P

and WHY ???????

do you call the fringe of hair over the forehead. . . . Bangs?????

What's the etymology of that?

HUH ? eh? wot? :P

AllExperts has this to say about that:

The term bangs, always used in the plural, is, as you know the fringe of hair usually cut squarely across the forehead.  According to etymology scholar Robert Barnhart, the term is strictly American in origin (as you mention, the Brits call it fringe)  first surfacing in 1878.  It was  believed influenced by the adverbial use of bang in the meaning of abruptly, as in hair cut bang off;  some sources offer a relation to earlier bangtailed (1861) of a horse's tail that has been cut horizontally across.

but neither they nor Random-House have a whole lot to say about why horses tail that has been cut off short and square is called a bangtail ...

Lol.

If pants are trousers then what are pants?

In the uk we call undergarments pants and trousers trousers. This has always confused me.

Now, you're not trying to tell me that when I put on my tshirt that I'm really putting on my underpants .... naw, I knew you weren't saying that. So what we call briefs or undershorts you'd be calling pants then???

BTW, I think this term slid from trousers to pants just a few years ago - my grandfather and uncles wore trousers, I wear pant.

Of course, that begs the difference between trousers, pants, britches and slacks .... anyone want to tackle that one --- and are they synonymous in the rest of the world, there are some fine differences between most of them here in the US.

AllExperts has this to say about that:

but neither they nor Random-House have a whole lot to say about why horses tail that has been cut off short and square is called a bangtail ...

LOL thanks Al.

Still sounds silly to me. :P

LOL i can give you an Aussie one.

"Chunder"

meaning to throw up.

It comes from the days of sailing ships.

When someone hadn't quite got thier sea legs and was feeling a bit green about the gills.

They would shout "Chunder" or "watch Under" as the pea soup was ejected over the side

warning people underneath to withdraw back out of the way.

What is britches? Lol

We do have some odd sayings or names for things that even I get confused over haha

Also depends where you go as well like in country regions they have a whole new language haha or at least it sounds like it when you listen to them talk. Some of the people are as we say bogan like (to me I take that term as them being slightly "stupid" or dopey) some might have a different term for it.

We also have councils here

They are made up of a group of people for different suburbs (if you have a different name I'm guessing its county?) that are ment to look after the parks, some roads, they collect our rubbish, our pounds are run by them as well, they also have sub-sections for different things. Where I live is run by Penrith council the only thing there good for is collecting rubbish and spending money on stuff we don't need instead of cleaning up our parks and making them safe for kids to play in (the suburb I live in isn't too bad but if we drive 10mins or so away parks and streets aren't safe to be at night nor are the parks safe for humans or animals, there's a lot of drug users who don't care where they leave there needles and also a lot of broken glass around) (the western suburbs of Sydney isn't the nicest place to be, some suburbs are ok though)

For the Americans some people refer to this area as an equivalent to the Bronx? I think that's how it's spelt lol

Well, let's see - since I started of on it:

Pants to me pretty much describes all of the various below the waste outer clothing, however slacks are more "dressy casual", trousers are more formal, britches (you'd call them breeks or breeches?) would be work pants but not necessarily jeans.

Al some of those words I don't even use! My grandparents use the term "britches" but it's a little old school for me. I just simply say pants. Undergarments are underwear.

Also, I agree I've never said "loose meat" i say ground beef. ground turkey. ground chicken. etc.

i've heard the term boiler, exp. in old basements but generally say water heater.

lol love to hear the diff. terms. it's also true that someone who lives in new york says different things than what i say down here in mississippi

Loving the thread but hey cheeky! Less of the blonde anecdotes please. Muppet's on my vocabulary list as is donut for describing someone intellectually challenged! Sometimes we go all "del boy" (from uk show only fools and horses) and call them a plonker!

Britches

is a changed form of Breeches clout.

Which was either a pair of Trousers (but very loose)

or a wrap around cloth that wrapped around the groin and hips.

Loving the thread but hey cheeky! Less of the blonde anecdotes please. Muppet's on my vocabulary list as is donut for describing someone intellectually challenged! Sometimes we go all "del boy" (from uk show only fools and horses) and call them a plonker!

I'm sorta sorry, and will apologize, but that caught me so off guard, I just had to share it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Taking a lead from another thread - What's an estate car?</p>

<p>Clarification, also, I presume the "boot" is that area behind the back seat, unless it's a "trunk"?</p>

An estate car is basically a longer version of a saloon car. Our boot is your trunk. The front end is a bonnet but not sure what you'd call it.