Frappe = milkshake

Grinder = Hogie, sub sandwich

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An estate car is basically a longer version of a saloon car. Our boot is your trunk. The front end is a bonnet but not sure what you'd call it.

Er, I'm sorry but that gets nowhere ... a saloon car belongs on a train so that's no help at all. We have SUV's (large and small) like the defender that was mentioned elsewhere; Sedan's - a car with (normally) two seats in front and two in back and an enclosed trunk; "wagons" (station wagons) which have two seats in front, two in back and possibly another two yet further back, there is no trunk, the area normally taken up by the trunk is enclosed in the body of the car (open behind the last row of seats); a coupé (a coop) which is typically a small car with two seats, sometimes two more but if there are, they're cramped!  So what's an estate car and a saloon car?  I am thoroughly confused!

If "Our boot is your trunk" what am I to make of all these folks who put their dogs in the boot.

and to make life simpler, your bonnet is our hood which is your roof ... no???

and people wonder why I started this thread .... :wacko:

Er, I'm sorry but that gets nowhere ... a saloon car belongs on a train so that's no help at all. We have SUV's (large and small) like the defender that was mentioned elsewhere; Sedan's - a car with (normally) two seats in front and two in back and an enclosed trunk; "wagons" (station wagons) which have two seats in front, two in back and possibly another two yet further back, there is no trunk, the area normally taken up by the trunk is enclosed in the body of the car (open behind the last row of seats); a coupé (a coop) which is typically a small car with two seats, sometimes two more but if there are, they're cramped!  So what's an estate car and a saloon car?  I am thoroughly confused!

If "Our boot is your trunk" what am I to make of all these folks who put their dogs in the boot.

Al hopefully this will simplify things.

Both images are a citroen Xsara 

first is the Saloon version (Sedan)

The 2nd is the Estate version. (Station wagon)

The saloon is shorter and has a trunk lid

The estate is longer and has a hatchback.

Saloon

post-1354-0-63709700-1367954638_thumb.jp

Estate

post-1354-0-07297600-1367954711_thumb.jp

Estate

Well, why din'cha all say a station wagon in the first place! << laughing >>

Yup, that clarifies things nicely.

That still leave my quandary about folks who put their dogs in the boot .... :)  (( I presume for a estate the boot would be the "back end" ))

Well, why din'cha all say a station wagon in the first place! << laughing >>

Yup, that clarifies things nicely.

That still leave my quandary about folks who put their dogs in the boot .... :)  (( I presume for a estate the boot would be the "back end" ))

Yup exactly :)

Don't forget the hatchback. When people say dog in the boot its actually the boot of a hatch back.

As for under garments. Women here have pants an knickers as opposed to underpants. Or a collective term is smalls as in ' I have to wash my smalls'

An while we're on the subject. Thongs are smalls/knickers here ( type of) but I believe they're a flip flop elsewhere, Australia?

Women carry a handbag that contains a purse with money in.

Am I right in thinking a broiler is a grill?

A "council" is a collective noun for a bunch of people who can't make decisions without at least 32 separate meetings spanning over a period greater, but not less than 18 months. Councillor's in the "wild" will often be seen moving papers around a desk with earnest but seemingly without any logical reason.

Don't forget the hatchback. When people say dog in the boot its actually the boot of a hatch back.

As for under garments. Women here have pants an knickers as opposed to underpants. Or a collective term is smalls as in ' I have to wash my smalls'

An while we're on the subject. Thongs are smalls/knickers here ( type of) but I believe they're a flip flop elsewhere, Australia?

Women carry a handbag that contains a purse with money in.

Am I right in thinking a broiler is a grill?

pmsl dont forget g strings lmao which are basically like dental floss!

rooting as in "rooting for your team" means something completely different in Australia to America  :o

"I was buggered" in Australian means I was tired  ;)

We share many colloquialisms with our Pommy cousins but there are a few different ones

Sorry Al.   Was thinking of posting some pics to show you what I'm trying to convey but just seen Andy's beaten me to it and done a good job of it too.  I'll close my mouth now the jobs done and walk away slightly sheepishly.   :)

Edited by emma1979

Loving this thread. There are of course regional differences in Blighty, I remember a conversation with a fellow black country colleague once where we were on about telling someone to " Jump in the cut " and a northener asked why you would tell someone to jump in an alleyway. (Cut being. Canal in brummie)

Loving this thread. There are of course regional differences in Blighty, I remember a conversation with a fellow black country colleague once where we were on about telling someone to " Jump in the cut " and a northener asked why you would tell someone to jump in an alleyway. (Cut being. Canal in brummie)

I'm northern, I know what jumpin in't cut means lol. In fact, three generations ago my family were narrowboat folk :)

A "council" is a collective noun for a bunch of people who can't make decisions without at least 32 separate meetings spanning over a period greater, but not less than 18 months. Councillor's in the "wild" will often be seen moving papers around a desk with earnest but seemingly without any logical reason.

Yep,that sounds about like our county governments or city councils!

rooting as in "rooting for your team" means something completely different in Australia to America  :o

"I was buggered" in Australian means I was tired  ;)

We share many colloquialisms with our Pommy cousins but there are a few different ones

It's intriguing, but I'm not sure I want to ask what you mean when *you're* rooting for your team"

Think it must be colloquial, its normal where I'm from to use bugger in this terms lol

It's not used very much on this side of the pond (that I'm aware of) but when it is it's typically slang for "go 'long now!"

Of course it still gets used in it's original meaning as well ... not quite so sociable or polite.

Yep,that sounds about like our county governments or city councils!

It's intriguing, but I'm not sure I want to ask what you mean when *you're* rooting for your team"

It's not used very much on this side of the pond (that I'm aware of) but when it is it's typically slang for "go 'long now!"

Of course it still gets used in it's original meaning as well ... not quite so sociable or polite.

I going to "take the 5th" to borrow an American term and decline on discussing rooting on a family friendly forum LOL. Ask an Aussie if see one in your neck of the woods. It is slang rather than outright profanity. Or just say to any Aussie, "Geez mate, I'm so buggered I was up all night rooting" ;)  and wait for the response  :lol:

Regarding 'bugger' the slang term is so well ingrained in our psyche that I would hazard a guess that most have forgotten the literal meaning. In fact it was used as the focal point on a major Toyota TV commercial a few years ago.

I going to "take the 5th" to borrow an American term and decline on discussing rooting on a family friendly forum LOL. Ask an Aussie if see one in your neck of the woods. It is slang rather than outright profanity. Or just say to any Aussie, "Geez mate, I'm so buggered I was up all night rooting" ;)  and wait for the response  :lol:

Well, I hd to go looking and found a web site that defined it - and a few other choice phrases. However it did say that it was "A very useful word in fairly polite company." Okay, if they say so ....

Excuse me while I go walkabout in the gafa, eh, mate?

Regarding 'bugger' the slang term is so well ingrained in our psyche that I would hazard a guess that most have forgotten the literal meaning. In fact it was used as the focal point on a major Toyota TV commercial a few years ago.

Oddly, even since the word isn't used over here - I seriously doubt that one out of ten Americans could tell you what the word did originally mean.

Well, I hd to go looking and found a web site that defined it - and a few other choice phrases. However it did say that it was "A very useful word in fairly polite company." Okay, if they say so ....

Excuse me while I go walkabout in the gafa, eh, mate?

Oddly, even since the word isn't used over here - I seriously doubt that one out of ten Americans could tell you what the word did originally mean.

I don't think it is fairly polite in its main context, but in "I am rooted" (tired) it is okay, not polite though. In fact I would never use the term in new company or in the company of anyone but my closest friends. 

I had to look up GAFA as I have never heard that expression. 

I remember trying to explain to a Japanese friend with an electronic translator that a mutual friend was a "good old bugger"(nice bloke) !!! It took quite a while to get that sorted  :lol:

I going to "take the 5th" to borrow an American term and decline on discussing rooting on a family friendly forum LOL. Ask an Aussie if see one in your neck of the woods. It is slang rather than outright profanity. Or just say to any Aussie, "Geez mate, I'm so buggered I was up all night rooting" ;)  and wait for the response.

Haha you described that one very well :) better Thani could have lol

And the way you describe things I'm thinking your a lot older then I am as some of the things I wouldn't know lol

This thread is very amusing

In regards to clothing items why are there so many different names for things its confusing

To me,

Pants = any form of long 'pants' that are worn on your bottom half

Jeans = denim pants

Shorts/3 quarters = things you wear on the bottom half but are above the knee or just below the knee

Shirts = long/short sleeved tops

Thongs = either 'flip flops' or a g-string (underwear) although I don't use the term flip flops.

Undergarments = bras and undies

There's some I've missed but can't think of at this present time.

I don't understand why cars have different names in different countries that's more confusing than the clothes to me anyway.

And there brands/names are different eg GM is Holden here and some people put Chevs and Pontiacs under Holden as well but to me there a completely different car.

As far as I know Ford is the same but have different cars eg I own a Ford falcon BA XR6 C2R as far as I know you guys don't have them? Unless there imported? USA have the Taurus that didnt go so well over here I think. Does the UK have the Taurus? I'd like to know what Fords if any the UK have? Well the main ones anyway

This is my car for those who don't know what it is the c2r is just the body kit and its tuned a bit different hope you don't mind me sharing it (its a sedan for those who would call it different lol)

post-9013-0-01769000-1368070188.jpg

... what I want to know is,  if one will put on a pair of undies or a pair of pants then why does one not put of a pair of shirts or jumpers???? :huh:

A pair of binoculars means 2 sets of binoculars which would actually be a quadocular  :D I suppose a pair of monoculars could be a binocular  ;)

Suffice it to say, I am fascinated by the English language and I have too much time on my hands. 

@Bambi92 - I am 45 so I suppose I am a bit older if 92 is your birth year?? Having said that, most of the Aussie slang is old, and much older than I. I remember lots from my Pop, but hardly any are used these days.

One of my absolute favourites is the seldom used expression "Rattle your dags" - it means hurry up. Dags are the bits of poo that get stuck on the backsides of un-shorn sheep, when they run they jiggle and rattle around :lol:  I love the imagery on this one.

I'd like to know the same thing that's always confused me.

Half of the terms used by older generations I don't understand or haven't heard of, I didnt have anyone around that used different terms that I remember anyway.

And yes it is I'm only 21 and don't get out much I have too much time on my hands as well lol

As for 'rattle your dags' that's the first I've heard that and if you didnt say what it ment I would have got a whole different meaning haha

• 1 month later...