Translation, Please.

Removed #5

i think age also relates to different words. I doubt I'll catch Al discussing "swag". lol

I found the language difference extremely interesting when I went over to Husky Camp. I did however pick up a few words that I particularly enjoy,

Let me guess. All those words were spoken by Dunc?  :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swag = Australian Hobo??? (( up jumped the swag man ))

Swag is the bag a man carries all his belonging in. Swagman is a traveller, possibly a vagrant or hobo. Nice pick-up from Waltzing Matilda Al! 

A Swag is also an all-in-one canvas sleeping bag, tent thingy for one man.

Swag is the bag a man carries all his belonging in. Swagman is a traveller, possibly a vagrant or hobo. Nice pick-up from Waltzing Matilda Al! 

A Swag is also an all-in-one canvas sleeping bag, tent thingy for one man.

swag is none of those things in the US ;)

Swag can also be illicit proceeds of criminal actions.

If you've robbed a bank then the money goes in the Swag bag.

I love this thread !  I remember when I was little listening to my nan talk to her brothers and sisters,  sometimes it was like a foreign language, they were all born within the sound of bow bells (  making them cockneys ) as I grew up it made more sense but it always set their generation apart ( the younger generations are all ordinary Londoners !

lol this thread is excellent. reminds me of the tie i was in canada and was sketching some scenery and i misplaced my pencil eraser which we call a rubber.  so when i asked my cousin for a rubber she found it highly amusing.

also bathroom  = wash room  when i said bathroom they though i meant a room to go and be sick in i.e. a Barf room.  lol

From a non native English speaker the English language is just so much more weird than you guys may realise  :unsure:

Can you imagine the confusion of all the people that try to learn English as they learn that they can turn an alarm off, that just went off? Or how would you explain that 'terrific' can mean either that it's incredible, or that it's awful? Before I came here I knew that 'to fix' something means to repair something. And yet you people keep talking about castrating. That's definitely not fixing it as far as I can tell!!