Asha Will Only Pick On Little Dogs!

HugTheBear

Okay I like taking her to the dog park. But people keep bringing small beagle sized dogs and WAY smaller (yorkie) to the big dog side. And sometimes there can be 20 dogs there. Usually only about 10. But she will pick these dogs out and only chase them and go after them. The people at the park get all huffy and puffy about it because Asha makes a lot of noise when playing and terrifies their dogs!

She gets really rough with small dogs.. And I'm not going to stop taking her just because people don't want to be on the small dog side.

How do I get her to play.... "Nicer" ??

I let my dogs clear those dogs out of the wrong side. I used to call them off, but quit. If people want to violate the rules, I'm not gonna yell at my dogs to play nicely with dogs a quarter of their size. If it gets hurt, tough. It'll live. I don't mean to sound cold, but the rules are ther for a reason I have little sympathy for the owners. Their dogs will be fine.

I figured. I guess I am going to. Do the same as you guys. Yorkies and Maltese shouldn't be inn with huskies, Danes, and other big dogs. Even small beagle size dogs. I was tired of the huffing and puffing and dirty looks my dog got, maybe they'll get sick of my dog being a bully then. I didn't want to have to pay for any vet bills if she did hurt the dogs.

Asha will be two next month.

My pup who turns one yr In a week will play with huskies and usually smaller dogs. My older dog sibe will play with any dog. I wonder if it's something they'll grow out of? Probably a confidence/knowing they won't get hurt type thing, that comes with age and experience at the park.

A couple weeks ago at the park a massive Dane showed up. Akira had this "holy hell, wtf is that thing!?" look on her face as she bolted from it. She was looking over her shoulder as she ran in terror. Hilarious. Troy tried to body check him. Lol.

At our park there's a minimum weight to be in the big park, 22 lbs. I'd think if they're smaller than that, the owners put them their at their own risk. Anyone asking me to pay their vet bills for a dog under that weight would be politely told to go pound salt.

Maya always bullies small or overly submissive/scared dogs. She pins them to the ground and wont leave them alone even when they scream bloody murder. Which is why she doesn't go to the dog park anymore. Sophie bullies too but not nearly as bad as Maya so i just let her go at it with those small dogs.

I HATE it when people bring small dogs to the big side that can't handle themselves. There's an American Eskimo that neither Maya or Sophie messed with because he's that awesome, lol.

Juno was always after small dogs, but I take her to these local pack walks that have about 40 or more dogs per visit, once a week, and its a full mix of dogs large to small, and that has worked wonders on her, and my daughter visits she brings her pug and beagle and Juno will try and play with them and once she gets too crazy with them, I just say LEAVE IT ,  and she walks away.  Now we can go to a dog park and she does well with all dogs.

i Wouldn't go to the extent to say that people shouldn't bring their small dogs in with bigger dog, the problem isnt with small dogs but with small dog owners who are over protective, thus not allowing their dogs to proper socialize as well.

I bring my Yorkie all the time, has played with great Danes and other huskies. They mouth him in the head but as long as he isnt yelping, i let it go. If he's had enough he will tell them off.

As for Panda my husky, since he lives with mason (my yorkie), he loves to go for small dogs as well at the dog park. He would play bow and bark, but the scariest thing is he mouths them and it freaks the owners out. He never hurts them or anything. He is a tad better now since i always have to go correct him and drag him away.

Not all dog parks have a small dog section.