How Can I Get Kodi To Gain Weight

Jay

When I got Kodi the rescue said that he needed to gain weight, which I can tell because he is very bony on his back and ribs. I give him 2 1/2 cups of TOTW. I wanted to be careful that he didn't get the runs from his change of diet and environment so I was hesitant on feeding him more than that.

So what is the best way to put weight on him? Should I feed him more food and maybe feed him 3 times a day? Or add something to his food? I'm curious on what everyone thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We give ours plain boiled rice with the kibble and tinned meat.

Our guys were really skinny after fighting off what we believe was

a touch of Parvo. (Not pleasant :()

They soon bulked back up. :up:

I wonder if giving him and extra half cup of kibble in the evening would help too

As you said as long as the extra kibble doesn;t give him the runs.

Maybe swap a kibble meal for Raw chicken wings. a couple of times per week.

loads of protien there. :)

How much does he weigh now? How old is he? How tall is he?

When I got Suka from the shelter (4 years old), he needed to gain weight too - he was very underweight. He wasn't eating the kibble at the shelter. 

The trick is...you want him to gain weight, but you don't want him to lose muscle. So - keep his exercise level where it is, but feed him more. His body will store the extra calories it doesn't need. If you decrease his exercise, and up his food intake, he will put on weight too fast. This is bad for a few reasons (his joints, etc). 

Take him to the vet every week to monitor his weight - they should weigh him for free.

I found it took mine around 2-2.5 months (memory is a bit fuzzy) to gain 10 pounds....keep in mind that was with him eating once a day. (2 cups of Merrick with some wet dog food thrown in). And yes - I tried to feed him more than once a day...he wasn't cooperating. 

EDIT: You can always give him wet dog food. Just make sure to NOT mix it in with his kibble - he'll expect it and he may not eat his kibble without it. 

Unless the rescue group from whom you got him was a Husky rescue group they may not know what they're talking about.

As I'm looking at my dogs and pictures of others around the forum, a comment I made a long time back comes to mind. Husky's are just like people, some of them are short and stocky, some tall and thin and some big and ... well, let's not go there.

Avalanche is lean and lanky and eats whatever he wants - rephrase, I free feed him, so he eats as much as he wants and still only weighs about 50 pounds. Tall, lean and lanky. His ribs are evident when I run my hands down his side and his backbone is pronounced - but he also seems to be in good health. Enjoys playing with his soccer sized ball outside and enjoys running to the limits of his lead.

Sasha, probably a true Sibe, is about as opposite as she can get. She's fed one bowl of food a day - nibbles on it till into the afternoon when she'll lay down and eat it. And is probably about 65 pounds - even with a decent walk in the evening and time to run around outside she is still a stocky little girl. (( also probably a good 4 - 6 inches shorter than Avalanche. ))

Am I concerned that one is underweight and one, possibly, overweight - not too much, they're both healthy, energetic and seemingly happy.

If kodi is Kodiak - at 2 years 6 months plus, his physique is probably not going to change a whole lot until he gets quite a bit older.

He could be just very skinny. My Asha has bones that stick out in her back end and her ribs show sometimes. I feel like people think I starve her. I might try a diffent food or puppy food. But it seems normal for her. This could be the same thing with your new husky.

image_zpse76fc52d.jpg

Here's better pictures of her in summer/fall time. She looks better now but I think it's her winter coat, I hope she doesn't look so skinny once she blows her coat.

Someone might also have a link for satin balls. I am actually going to try those too!

image_zps583ecab4.jpg

image_zps28481977.jpg

How much does he weigh now? How old is he? How tall is he?

When I got Suka from the shelter (4 years old), he needed to gain weight too - he was very underweight. He wasn't eating the kibble at the shelter.

The trick is...you want him to gain weight, but you don't want him to lose muscle. So - keep his exercise level where it is, but feed him more. His body will store the extra calories it doesn't need. If you decrease his exercise, and up his food intake, he will put on weight too fast. This is bad for a few reasons (his joints, etc).

Take him to the vet every week to monitor his weight - they should weigh him for free.

I found it took mine around 2-2.5 months (memory is a bit fuzzy) to gain 10 pounds....keep in mind that was with him eating once a day. (2 cups of Merrick with some wet dog food thrown in). And yes - I tried to feed him more than once a day...he wasn't cooperating.

EDIT: You can always give him wet dog food. Just make sure to NOT mix it in with his kibble - he'll expect it and he may not eat his kibble without it.

He is between 2 and 3. I'm not sure how tall he is but he is taller than Nikko do pretty big. He weights 57lbs now, but I think he is either part Malamute. You can really feel his backbone. When he was at animal control for 2 weeks he shut down and did not eat at all. I plan to exercise him just the same but thought I should give him more food

Unless the rescue group from whom you got him was a Husky rescue group they may not know what they're talking about.

As I'm looking at my dogs and pictures of others around the forum, a comment I made a long time back comes to mind. Husky's are just like people, some of them are short and stocky, some tall and thin and some big and ... well, let's not go there.

Avalanche is lean and lanky and eats whatever he wants - rephrase, I free feed him, so he eats as much as he wants and still only weighs about 50 pounds. Tall, lean and lanky. His ribs are evident when I run my hands down his side and his backbone is pronounced - but he also seems to be in good health. Enjoys playing with his soccer sized ball outside and enjoys running to the limits of his lead.

Sasha, probably a true Sibe, is about as opposite as she can get. She's fed one bowl of food a day - nibbles on it till into the afternoon when she'll lay down and eat it. And is probably about 65 pounds - even with a decent walk in the evening and time to run around outside she is still a stocky little girl. (( also probably a good 4 - 6 inches shorter than Avalanche. ))

Am I concerned that one is underweight and one, possibly, overweight - not too much, they're both healthy, energetic and seemingly happy.

If kodi is Kodiak - at 2 years 6 months plus, his physique is probably not going to change a whole lot until he gets quite a bit older.

The rescue group is called Adopt-A-Husky so all they deal with is huskies and they have been around for 30+ years. Even Nikko and Yukon have much different body types. Nikko is tall and lanky and Yukon is short and stocky. They told me Kodi is underweight and I can feel it so I wanted to make sure i am feeding the right amounts or if I should just increase his amount and give him and extra meal o put some more weight on him. I might give him just a little more and make sure his poo isn't runny since so far with the food change and going to a new home he's been fine