Dog Run Material...is Wood Ok?

markquinton

Hi all

I've just purchased a small piece of land at the bottom of my garden where I am going to put a dog run for our malamute Jazz. I would ideally like something like this...

DogRun.jpg

...but I'm slightly concerned that a frustrated malamute might be able to chew through it. The alternative is to line the inside with pvc cladding which I don't think would be chewed or just buy galavanised panels and create my own run with a kennel within but the latter option will not look as appealing.

Has anyone had any problems with their husky/mal chewing a wooden dog run?

Thanks

Mark

Get the wooden one, coz it looks nice.:)

and. . . .

line it with rivetted galvanised panels inside.

Secure inside, lookin' good outside :up:

I agree with Andy above...secure on the inside but nice looking on the outside..as long as you have it covered on the inside i dont see a problem with the wood..good luck and cant wait to see how it turns out!! i need to build one..well my hubby does!!! :P

Thanks, I think you both might be right. I definitely know which I like the look of better and which will be better protected from the elements. Will post something up once the project is complete. I can't wait for it to be done so she can have a little more room to manoeuvre when we are not home rather than being in a crate. Also means I don't have to worry so much if our relation cannot come round to let her out for a toilet break. So many benefits! Will panic about dog theft though!

Thanks

Mark

Thanks, I think you both might be right. I definitely know which I like the look of better and which will be better protected from the elements. Will post something up once the project is complete. I can't wait for it to be done so she can have a little more room to manoeuvre when we are not home rather than being in a crate. Also means I don't have to worry so much if our relation cannot come round to let her out for a toilet break. So many benefits! Will panic about dog theft though!

Thanks

Mark

I have a 150ft garden.

Spent £3000 having it fenced in 6ft closeboard fencing.

Put a dog flap in the backdoor. Job done.:)

We have a fully galvanized run which attaches to a concrete outbuilding which has a bob hole between the two. The run replaced a wooden run which was chewed by our lurcher in no time at all, once she decided she was going to chew there was nothing we could do to stop her. Our fear wasn't only Belle getting out, but also the damage the splinters could cause. We replaced the wooden section with the galvanized panels before bringing Mia home from the breeder. To protect her the dogs from the elements we put up wooden fence panels to the back and side leaving only the front open. Now Mia has just started to squeeze her nose through the bars to chew the panel, within a couple of hours a hole had appeared, if it wasn't for the metal panels they could both have gotten out. Mia was in that run for 7 months without chewing!! We have now attached chicken wire to the wooden panels to stop her chewing them

I agree the wooden kennel is much nicer, but in my opinion safety is paramount, and i recommend you opt for a completely escape proof option xx