Itchy/burning Hands...

Elyse

Hey guys,

So I just got home from school for the summer. And I'm having a problem:

Whenever I pet Suka, my hands get really irritated....they burn. This starts almost instantly. Allergies, you say?

But this is the weird part: if I pet him with anything other than my hands, its fine. No burning - no irritation. If I touch my face/etc with my (burning) hands, again...its fine: no burning, no irritation.

I know this has happened before (burning hands after petting him), so I'm thinking dry hands? You'd think if it was allergies, it would be consistent. 

I know Suka hasn't been brushed since the last time I was home (bad Mommy!)...so its been 3-4 weeks since he was last brushed. Could that be the cause?

Perhaps my skin is more sensitive than others in regards to rough surfaces? His guard hairs are really rough atm (due to diet? Shampoo? Lack of brushing by Mom?)

Again, this isn't consistent. The last time I was home (4 weeks ago), I was fine. Rarely do my hands burn after petting him....I think the last time this happened was last summer sometime. 

What do you guys think? 

I REALLY hope I'm not allergic to him: that would REALLY suck! 

OK at school/college do you have to wash your hands frequently ?

what kind of chemicals/ detergents/ soaps etc are you using ??

Maybe try wearing gloves for a week or so to let your hands desensitize from whatever is causing the irritation.

OK at school/college do you have to wash your hands frequently ?

what kind of chemicals/ detergents/ soaps etc are you using ??

Maybe try wearing gloves for a week or so to let your hands desensitize from whatever is causing the irritation.

I don't wash my hands more often than the usual person, no. Just before eating, after going to the washroom, etc. I use a soap that's gentle on skin (Dove). And maybe I will wear gloves for a little while...

Although I haven't been drinking (water :P) as often as I should...which is why I thought dry skin is the cause?

OK do you bathe / wash Suka  often ?

Perhaps you're allergic to the chemicals in that.

You may not do it very often

So your hands only react after a recent clean.

He goes to PetSmart every 6-8 weeks (by that point, Dad complains that he's smelling. He has a sensitive nose...kinda like a dog's nose! lol) to be bathed.

I don't know when the last time he was washed, I'll ask my parents when they come home from work. :)

(Which should be in an hour or two)

Maybe your folks give him a spring clean each time before you get home from school so he's all angelically clean and fragrant for his human

Not realising that something they use is caustic to your hands

I'm with you here Andy, If I were Elyse, I'd be looking at the idiosyncratic "thing" that is different. Possibly the shampoo from the grooming at Petsmart.  I'd think that if it were an allergy it would be more consistent.

Okay, just face it Elyse, you're allergic to him and you're going to have to bring him down here so he's far enough away that you won't be affected.

I'm with you here Andy, If I were Elyse, I'd be looking at the idiosyncratic "thing" that is different. Possibly the shampoo from the grooming at Petsmart.  I'd think that if it were an allergy it would be more consistent.

Okay, just face it Elyse, you're allergic to him and you're going to have to bring him down here so he's far enough away that you won't be affected.

LOL at you Al' :P

I found out what the problem was. It was simple: dry hands.

I've been putting on moisturizer regularly, and everything is back to normal now. :)

LOL that's why I asked if you wash your hands a lot.

strips all the oils from your hands.

Glad you found out what it was.

Now go give Suka a huge hug, and pet him like crazy :)

LOL that's why I asked if you wash your hands a lot.

strips all the oils from your hands.

Glad you found out what it was.

Now go give Suka a huge hug, and pet him like crazy :)

Haha - but I don't wash them more than the average person! I guess because my parents keep the house so hot (80 F - Dad has arthritis and the dry heat makes it feel better), it dries out my hands??