Bunch Of Smartie Pants

DuramaxDiesel

My husband and his sisters were raised on a farm and home-schooled...sometimes they're way of doing things is, how shall I say this...a bit different.

My husbands older sister (she is older than I am) has been going to college for the last 9 years for medical things and she is dating an ex Navy Man who is going to school for the same things...he's 32 or something. He thinks he knows everything and likes to tell my in-laws when they are doing something wrong or they should do it a different way... to me, that's disrespectful.

Last week sometime, the boyfriend was telling us how his Frat Brothers were looking for a way to make money. He said that they were going to raise these Japanese Cows here in Michigan because of the Earthquake and Tsunami wiping out the entire population of these cows in Japan. So they went on and on about these cows, and how they needed male cows and people to massage the cows and etc. So I jumped in and said, "How can you have MALE cows? Cows are female. Bulls and Steer are males. Bulls are cattle that have their man parts and steer are those that have been castrated."

The boyfriend looked at me and said, "No, I'm going to raise male cows"

I said, "Good luck with that. I've never seen a male cow"

"I was in the Navy, I seen them all over the place"

I said, "Male cows, really? When I was in high school and took a Dairy Science class, I learned that cows are female. Heifers are female cattle that haven't had a calf. And a calf is a BABY cattle...or BOVINE as they are sometimes called. A Bull is a bovine that has a penis and his testicles. A STEER is a bovine that doesn't have his testicles"

He said, "Well, aren't you smart? You took high school classes on Dairy Science? We're going to raise beef, we need cows. Beef science is different than Dairy science. We need male beef cows. Trust me, I went to college"

So by this time, I'm trying to stay calm, my in-laws don't necessarily know I get psycho when I get frustrated with stupid people.

My mother-in-law chimes in and says, "Jasmine, Honey, Heifers are cows that have had a calf...cows are females that have not"

I looked right at her and said politely as I could, "You have a freaking farm. You have 3 COWS because they have all had CALVES"

How can someone, who has had a FARM for 30+ years, not know the difference between a Cow, Heifer, Calf, Steer, or a Bull? I wasn't trying to prove that I knew more or anything...but the boyfriend and older sister claimed that they were more educated than I was...but they are more daft? For real?

And I topped it off by saying "Just so you know, a group of BEEF can be called CATTLE and a group of CATTLE can be called BEEF, whether or not they are raised for MEAT or MILK!"

Sorry, I just needed to get that out. I don't like acting like I know more, essentially, than people who have experience...or people who are also my elders. However, my sister in laws boyfriend is a complete nut job. He was over last week sometime and I told my husband I smelled propane. The boyfriend kindly told me, "No, you don't smell propane, you smell the ethyl mercapatin, they put into it. Propane is in fact, odorless"

WELL NO *&^*ING S**T SHERLOCK.

(and the reason I smelled the ethyl mercapatin, mind you, I wasn't smelling propane because it's in fact, odorless, was because one of our lines had a crack in it, which is now fixed. So hopefully, I won't be smelling any ethyl mercapatin

soon!)

Everyone has their own way of naming things. At my internship I had a laugh because my supervisor kept referring to his sheep as "he's" all the time. He knew it was wrong, but it just stuck. At the end of my internship I caught myself doing the exact same thing though  :mouthshut:

Everyone has their own way of naming things. At my internship I had a laugh because my supervisor kept referring to his sheep as "he's" all the time. He knew it was wrong, but it just stuck. At the end of my internship I caught myself doing the exact same thing though  :mouthshut:

LOL! I try not to do that. I have too many family members and friends who own dairy and meat farms, if I did that, I'd be shunned!!!

I had a friend who told me he loved his job as a milker... "He got to hang out with girls and play with their T*ts!"

Jasmine, I hope you don't mind but I had to laugh my way through most of your message.  I grew up, part time, in the dairy country of New York State. Yep, we had a bull and a few cows, sometimes we even had a few calves and heifers - but I never, in my life, saw a male cow!!!!!  Then a few years ago moved down to Texas.  I'd love to see that boyfriend show up in either of these places and talk about male cows - he'd get laughed out of the place!! (that is, after the locals picked their jaws up off the floor "He said what?!?!")

I've reread your comments and I don't disagree with any thing there.  I'm afraid I'd have to simply told him "you're a blithering educated idiot, you really ought to get out and get some real-life smarts".

Jasmine, I hope you don't mind but I had to laugh my way through most of your message.  I grew up, part time, in the dairy country of New York State. Yep, we had a bull and a few cows, sometimes we even had a few calves and heifers - but I never, in my life, saw a male cow!!!!!  Then a few years ago moved down to Texas.  I'd love to see that boyfriend show up in either of these places and talk about male cows - he'd get laughed out of the place!! (that is, after the locals picked their jaws up off the floor "He said what?!?!")

I've reread your comments and I don't disagree with any thing there.  I'm afraid I'd have to simply told him "you're a blithering educated idiot, you really ought to get out and get some real-life smarts".

LOL! You make me laugh!

I, honestly, can't stand the guy. My husband's sister usually goes for nerdy guys and younger ones, but this one is 32ish, has been in the navy, drives a nice car, has tattoos, and doesn't LOOK nerdy, but he sure acts like it. He's a Bio-Chem major... I really hope she doesn't marry him, either! He was trying to tell us that we waste our time growing organic food and pesticides aren't bad for you...hahah. Well, let me go drink a gallon of Round-up then! hahah

I have to agree with Al

Sometimes people can be highly educated but still

be as dumb as a bucket of spanners

love love love this,

i am one of those who if i know i am right, will grab my phone or any device that has google and will PROVE it  lol

i can not stand those who are not willing to listen or take on someone else opinion....

I cant stand the

No you are Wrong

You are Stupid attitude

:D