Introducing A 2Nd Husky

Me & my Shadow

Last night I received a telephone call with regards to rehoming an 18 month old female Husky called Skyla, here is my story...After very extensive research, Shadow came to his forever home and  now is 18 weeks young.We could not imagine life without him as he has left a footprint in all of our hearts & knowing how addictice the breed can become have always been of the mind set that eventually would consider a 2nd Husky.  :wacko:

Is this too soon to introduce another mad zoomie, how will the pecking order be, obviously the work load multiplies, how will Shadow feel to the invasion of his space,would Shadow welcome the addition of a playmate even though an older female :rolleyes: etc etc, your advice / help / guidance will probably lead to more questions.

In our hearts, our mind is set but wanted to guage opinions from those more experienced.

Please meet Skyla :pawprint:  :pawprint:  :pawprint:

post-9434-0-51040800-1367008031_thumb.jp

Whenever we introduce a new dog into the house.

We let them meet outside the house. ideally offlead (secure tennis courts or offlead dogpark etc)

Let them run and sniff and chase each other.

then walk them home together.

Let your husky in first then the newcomer.

keep an eye for posessiveness from either

She is gorgeous..and i did like Andy..When i brought Cherokee home we brought Echo in the pin and left Cherokee on the lead and allowed them to sniff each other..Then we let Cherokee of and let them play and run..we then let Echo in and brought Cherokee in on lead as we did not know how he would react to his territory..we allowed her to sniff around and then let her off in the house and they did excellent and got along fine

i have a nearly 3 years old female sib who`s a wonderul dog, dominant but well balanced with humain and dogs, she is playfull and loving, and i introduced a 8 weeks old puppy in the winter, from the same breeder same parents as her, and the introduction was not without trouble, my female became very possessive and territorial, she was rough with the little one and we had to let them go outside separately and i had to watch all the time when they were playing together, even so when they go to doggy day care my female who never stop playing with other dog, doesnt play anymore, she mother him, she watch if other dog are rough with him she never enters in conflict with other dog her body language is strong enough that they leave the puppy alone and the puppy is a great dog, let the female dominate him but he is getting a little stronger so she is playing more now with him than before, but now my female started peeing in the house..... its sometimes hard to introduce a second dog even if you do everything to make it right.... any advice guys??

My experience introducing a 2nd husky went pretty smooth.  I actually picked Yukon up at the breeder 4 hours away while Nikko was at daycare.  On the way home Nikko got to meet the little guy, and we let them meet at home outside.  They got along pretty well, but Nikko is pretty dominate and very hyper, and Yukon did not like him at all at first.  He would snap and yap at him constantly, especially when he was playing with his toys.  I did not have to put up the toys at all, and they never got into fights with guarding food or toys, it was always when Nikko was being too annoying. 

I did the same thing when i got husky #3, but this time we had quite a few fights so I have not been able to have the toys out since he is been here.  They only get toys in their crate.  So I would suggest hiding the toys.  Also, keep a leash on the new guy and never allow them to be unsupervised together for the first few weeks, or until you are comfortable they won't fight.  I can leave Nikko and Yukon alone for quite a long time, but I never leave all 3 of them alone now.

i dont think that they will fight, and he came here very young but now sometimes she is very tough on him and he replies and she leave him alone, i think that they are still too young together but i believe that they will be inseparable juste the way they act at the day care .... but they certainly keep me occupied....