Proud Of My Boy

Applebear

Well my new addition [chow pup] is here and he is having NO problem making himself at home. I was going to hold off on intros with Ro because I was worried he would accidently hurt him....but Ro wasn't doing well with this, he's been going crazy since he got wiff of the pup and I couldn't bear seeing him so upset and I didn't want him to feel he was being replaced or excluded. 

So I relaxed myself and set pup down for Ro to meet, staying close just in case. Ro did real good overall, he was very gentle and seemed to understand he was a baby. The only thing I would say he has a problem with was being overbearing and not giving space or a break...we still doesn't know when enough is enough. He just kept obsessing, mouthing and hovering, but he was being gentle so I tried not to interfere unless I had to. I am really proud of Ro though, he's really trying and thinking, not just going with his normal instinct of plow and conquer. :)

A little off topic, but Ro was laying down so he could play at the pups level, but then the pup proceeds to mount and hump him...so I am going to ask, is this normal in a pup SO young? I assume it's more of a dominance thing, but I've never seen it done in a 8 week old pup. I'm a bit worried now, as I picked the pup that was described as more reserved and quiet over the confident pups because I thought maybe it would be better to try to shoot for one a little less alpha and a little more follower. Now I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake, though he doesn't seem to be dominant when I hold him on his back [and no I'm not rolling him, just cuddling him in my arms].

NILIF don't fail me now...when he's a bit older, we shall be introduced. :)

aw, congrats on the new arrival, what's his name? I'm not sure if there is an age limit to the dominance thing, although 8 weeks does seem very young to have learnt it! Good to hear Ro is treating the pup with respect though, hopefully it will instil some manners into the little fella!

Glad to hear that things are going well.  8 weeks is young, but not unheard of.  My first sibe was a humping fool at 8 weeks.  My bosses Boston Terrier was a humping fool at 8 weeks also.

Do they mellow out on it a bit or does it get worse? Right now, I'm just discouraging it, distracting him to other things...I'll be honest, I really don't want him just hopping on every dog we encounter. He does seem to do it when he's running out of patience with Ro though....he [ro] just won't let up, he's being gentle as above, but not giving him space when pup is giving him cues he's had enough. 

Sarah! Pictures....but I must warn everyone that I am currently doing work on my house and in these particular pics, the carpet is half ripped up and everythings just overall clustered up. The work was suppose to be done by now, but we got hit with bad weather [snow] through most of April and it put the workers behind. :( Sorry it looks so ghetto...but here we go.

post-8098-0-36466300-1367086253.jpg

Pay no attention to the puppy behind the curtain

post-8098-0-61536900-1367086332_thumb.jp

Heard of a smack down? This is a Ro down

post-8098-0-12188900-1367086389_thumb.jp

You just wait until I get bigger!

aw, congrats on the new arrival, what's his name? I'm not sure if there is an age limit to the dominance thing, although 8 weeks does seem very young to have learnt it! Good to hear Ro is treating the pup with respect though, hopefully it will instil some manners into the little fella!

I'm stumped on name :(

They can hump thru excitement too , skyla is dominant over bings but bings will Hump her if he gets over excited

Didn't know that, guess it would make sense...they do always seem to happen right after he gets riled up in play. Thanks guys...appreciate it :)