Dog Road Sense?

Bambi92

Do you believe dogs can be taught road sense?

Today on our way home there was a husky that ran across the road near a set of lights but there were so many cars around lucky the poor thing didnt get hit it had a collar on was happily running along the foot path. On our way back past I made my partner have a look around the area we seen it but couldn't find it (hopefully the little baby made it home or someone picked it up to help it).

I've taught Sasha to stop, sit and look both ways when she comes to a road (she does it majority of the time) when she got out of where she was staying when I couldn't have her with me she followed the footpaths and looked before she crossed the roads she didnt stop and sit she just looked. I was so surprised and so proud of her and at the same time so scared that she would end up running in front of a car and being hit.

Is it because I have taught her to stop at roads or just a natural instinct? Dozer just walks out but I'm slowly teaching him the same as Sasha he picks up things quickly so its easier to teach him haha

Do you teach your dogs road sense? Or anything of the like?

I'm teaching Elka to sit on the pavement and wait. It's going reasonably well but if she see's something the other side of the road that interests her she just bolts only stopped by being on the lead. I don't believe she has any road sense at all and certainly doesn't understand that cars can harm her. 

The only one of mine who had any road sense was Apollo. I believe it was because prior to my brother Sal and my taking him he was a stay on the streets of Camden, New Jersey. He learned quickly that if he didn't get saavy to automobiles he'd quickly become an oil slick on the tarmack! The rest are too occupied with the freedom and new experiences to give any thought to traffic. That's a main reason I'd never let them out without a leash.  

Fr. Carmen OFM

I guess all we can do is try to teach them. Sasha ran past dogs that were on the other side of the road which I didn't think she would do not sure if she would do it again if she got out here although I think she would go 3 houses away looking for the staffs pup that she met there one day (haven't seen it since) but not sure what she would do when she couldn't find it. I dread the day she ever gets out of here although I do everything in my power to keep her safe it may happen one day we live on the corner of a main road with lots of trucks I've never taken her along that road I've always walked away from it. Sasha always goes away from it on a walk.

I tried to teach mine. Echo knows and if he goes near the road we yell Echo away and he walks back. But we never allow him to get to close before yelling. We taught him this command when teaching him recall..Meeka doesnt go near a road or out of the fence since she got hit the poor baby :( its a scary experience

I tried to teach mine. Echo knows and if he goes near the road we yell Echo away and he walks back. But we never allow him to get to close before yelling. We taught him this command when teaching him recall..Meeka doesnt go near a road or out of the fence since she got hit the poor baby :( its a scary experience

Aww poor Meeka :(

Sasha doesn't really have recall :( once she runs she runs she will only look back to see how far away I am from her if I'm too far away she slows down let's me catch up then bolts again its like a game to her, I don't know what she would do if she got out on her own without me or my oh chasing her though which scares the crap out of me :( she has only gotten out once which is a suprise.