Toilet Training Help !

sarahjng

ok heres the problem,  bear is now 7 months old and still wont pee/poo outside,  we  put paper down when he first arrived and he was really good about using it, but will not go anywhere else.  no matter when or how long were out he holds on until we are through the door, then he can pee for england, any adviceadvice ? tips ? ideas ? getting a little desperate here.  ( i will say even if we've been out ages he still goes on his paper )  

It's been used before as a training aid to teach them to use paper in the house ... then to gradually move the paper to the door, then outside.  If it's not "the spot" that he uses but the paper you can successfully gradually move him outside.  Might take a few days or more before he gets the idea ... oh, just for the emphasis, use papers that's he's wee'd on as you're moving them (even if it's just a sheet or two on top of new paper so he recognizes the scent ...

Good luck!!

Try dribbling some vinegar on and around the spot ... that may convince him to follow the paper.

Alternatively, since he doesn't seem to recognize "inside" as part of his turf, you might want to keep him  confined to a smaller ( and smaller ) space till he recognizes that if he has "to go" then he has to go out. 

Dog's will, typically, not defecate in what they see as their den.  Given the option, they'll do anything they can to hold it till they can get so someplace that is "outside", since he see this spot as "okay", make it so he can't get to that spot.

I had a problem with an adult husky rescue who seemed to think that the tile in the kitchen as okay, I finally put her on a short leash inside so she had no choice, it was either "go" where she was or wait till we went out - and I did respond when she indicated she wanted out.  She now has the run of the house.

• 3 weeks later...