Puppy Play

Chula

Yesterday evening my friend brought over her old black lab (I think he's 12) for some backyard play time. Chula has played with him before, but never at "her" house. She understandably went nutso and started running laps around the yard and then around the dog. She didn't jump on him, all she wanted to do was put her entire head in the dog's mouth. I've never seen anything like it. She was trying to french kiss him for about two hours, poor old guy was so patient with her. She had her ears back and wasn't trying to bite, she just wanted to lick his face. I'd separate her every once in awhile to try to get her to calm down, and it would work for a bit, then she'd get excited again. I kept waiting for the older dog to give her the smack down, but he just grunted and made seal noises and went along with it. He has bad arthritis and can't move all that well, but he didn't correct her, so he must have been okay with it? Does/did your puppy play this way?

And here they are after she finally tired out. I was happy that she didn't guard her toys, she let him drink from her water bowl before she did, and when I was giving treats to them, she didn't go after the treats I was feeding him, she patiently waited her turn. 

kwW8LIfl.jpg

I think labs are the most patient, understanding breed that exists.  I had one many years ago, went over to Louisiana to visit my aunt (who had a fenced yard).  Her next door neighbors were a couple of sisters in their 80's (or so) who had a couple of g-grand children visiting.  I heard Lady (my lab) whining and went to see why.  One of the kids (maybe two) had grabbed her ear and was trying to pull her through the chain link fence so she could play with her.  Now Lady could have pulled back and run the risk of the youngster getting her hand cut on the fence, or she could have nipped her - - but  she just stood there waiting for daddy to come over to help. 

Sounds like you friends dog has about the same level of patience and understanding!  Great dogs ....

And good on Chula for behaving like the proper hostess once they got back inside.  It takes time, but they do learn.  As for the running, c'mon she's just a little Husky and has her right to having the zoomies!!!

Oh I know the running and zooming was normal.  :D  I was mostly curious about the sticking her head in the dog's mouth. It was so funny. Not just trying to lick, but literally putting her entire snout inside poor old Buddy's mouth. If Buddy was a bit younger I would have let them be when she was getting so worked up, but he has a hard time moving so it's hard to know if he was putting up with it because he didn't care, or because it hurt him to try to stop her. 

ahhhaaah here same thing,Nanook play with the puppy and she play really rought with him to scare me really but he`s the pro of sumissive position, she leave him alone and he run and jump back in her face, poor girl he never gets tired,..... i hope this wil continue ok though she will not tolerate that for much longer