Extremely Mad!!

HuskyGuerl

So I just went and picked up the girls from the vets from being spayed. Well they both had brand new harnesses on when we dropped them off. And I told them make sure you take them off because the only time they have them on is walks and I don't know how they react. Well came in today and asked where their harnesses were and they said oh they chewed them off each other... are you serious??? Im so mad!! Idk if I should be mad at the girls, the vet or the assistant!!! Now the girls don't have anything to be took on a walk with and I can't afford new right now since I just paid for their spaying. Im so mad im upset :(

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I would so be having words with the owner / vet or whoever it is that's responsible for that clinic!!  My vet I had in Houston would keep collars on but anything else had to go with the owner and the vet where I board my dogs here is the same way. I have to take the leashes with me when I leave. But that aside, if they don't have a stated policy and you asked them to remove the harness' then I'd be thinking you'd be completely within your rights to old them responsible!  I'd be real inclined to get on my high horse and not get off until they agreed to compensate you for them!!

They make us take the leashes but not the collars like you described. But I specifically asked and the assistant did take them off but the other assistant that I talked to I guess put them back on because she said they are suppose to have them on at all times!! Im pretty sure that is not right at all especially for a dog who is frightened about things around their throat!! Oh im ticked. My hubby is very mad and he is going by after work tommorrow. I didn't even get to see the harnesses because the lady said she threw them away.

I would have deducted the cost of new harnesses from the vets bill.  They should know better than to leave a dog in a crate with a harness on.  

Exactly, if I was a vet assistant I would be the same way. Its common sense. But my vet is extremely nice so we are going to speak with him about it as he was away at the time on call.

They make us take the leashes but not the collars like you described. But I specifically asked and the assistant did take them off but the other assistant that I talked to I guess put them back on because she said they are suppose to have them on at all times!! Im pretty sure that is not right at all especially for a dog who is frightened about things around their throat!! Oh im ticked. My hubby is very mad and he is going by after work tommorrow. I didn't even get to see the harnesses because the lady said she threw them away. Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Tapatalk 2
Think I'd be going down the route of - if they can't show you the damage they have no proof that they were damaged and needed to be thrown away. That's your call not theirs. On that grounds they have thrown away your property so therefore should compensate you for it. Hope you get some joy tomorrow, if not I'd be taking my business else where and encouraging other to do the same, I'd also let the vets know that's what I'd be doing.

That sounds fabulous I will be doing that. I have pictures of the girls going to the vets in their brand new collars that I could use against them.

You go girl get the price of um back grrrrr  :angry:

Well got ahold of the vet. And they said that they dont expect dogs to do that sort of thing and they dont carry the stuff at their shop to replace them. So im extremely mad now more at the assistant than the vet. If i ever go back again I will be asking for a different assistant and not allowing her to touch my dogs! Now i have to come up with the money to buy two new ones. Hopefully hubby will help me out this weekend. Anyone know a good harness? Need to buy two. :angry:  Im just extremely furious

They might not expect it but they were told to remove the harnesses so should have done as you requested! I chucked one ov skyla's old harnesses out a couple ov months ago , wish I hadn't now , you could have had it :-(

Oh its fine thank you though..My hubby said possibly next weekend we will be able to get some depending on his check

They make us take the leashes but not the collars like you described. But I specifically asked and the assistant did take them off but the other assistant that I talked to I guess put them back on because she said they are suppose to have them on at all times!! Im pretty sure that is not right at all especially for a dog who is frightened about things around their throat!! Oh im ticked. My hubby is very mad and he is going by after work tommorrow. I didn't even get to see the harnesses because the lady said she threw them away.

No they do not have to have them on at all times!!! Balto was just boarded at the vet over the past weekend and we brought his harness with him and they said they wouldn't need it they use their own. I asked if it was left on at all times and they said no it is not supposed to be left on at all times because it can get caught, the dog can chew on it and get something caught in their throat. I would have some words with them and then switch

Nope, I would not drop this.  At best it was incompetence at worst it could have been fatal!  Missouri is one of the states that as a Veterinary Medical Board as part of their Professional Licensing and Registration and I'd place a phone call to them (phone number is on the previously referenced link - bottom right).  They also have a complaint form (that's a pdf) that I think I might be using.

Most professionals don't like having complaints placed with the governmental organization with whom they have to register .... wonder why?? 

If I were to fill out the complaint form, I'd stress that you were not asked to take the harnesses with you (as most vets would have), that even though you asked to have them removed when they were placed in the crates they weren't and that the immediate results were that not only were the harness reported as being destroyed by the dogs, but they were also disposed of - without your knowledge or consent and really emphasize the potentially critical results that could have happened.  Request that they contact the vet to see about compensation for the harnesses.

Then seek a new vet! << wonder why?? >>

Professionals do not want to get *me* upset with them!!

Thanks everyone. I am searching for a new vet. The new vet is 45 minutes to an hour away from us and we are going to see how well he does with Cherokee when she is ready to be fixed. We had a talk with him already and he agreed they should never of left them on the dogs it is to dangerous. And i most definitely will be filing a complaint because that is ridiculous surely other dogs have done the same and they would think to just keep them off of them. My hubby said next time IF we go back because he is furious now worse than I am, he will walk them in and take everything off of them and walk out with it all and tell them to use their own collars and leads on them.

Obviously since everyone else vet has used their own collars and leads then mine must just be stupid...Its going to be so hard to switch since we dealt with them with Meeka so much now with her leg and all and he has done excellent with our dogs. I like the vet its just the assistant..Maybe i should try asking for another assistant when i go in?? Because that lady that let this happen obviously has no idea what she is doing.