Another Husky?

Ripleysmomma

Ok so I am a sucker for these guys.... Someone put a post on craigs list ... a 5 month old white husky with blue eyes. They want 400 bucks for him. The saddest part and the part that really makes me so very very angry is the reason they are getting rid of him.

They have had him 5 months.. and he keeps getting out of their yard so they are getting rid of him. Are you seriously kidding me? What kind of person gets rid of their dog which they probably spent a fortune on just to get rid of him because he gets out of the yard? Why not stink blasted fence in your yard?

Yes those are the questions I will be asking this owner when I call. My real question is .... How much chaos is my house going to substain with another husky? I mean 2 male huskies... Is this a good idea or will one try being dominent over the other and pee all over (marking territory)?

I do have a big house and 5.4 acres of land so I am not worried too much about space but I do worry how 2 males will get along. Siblings might of been a better idea but this white husky on craigslist looks like he needs a forever home and if I had my way I would rescue every animal in trouble... I just kind of want some insight from people who do have more than one husky.

Would the new dog be old enough to maybe help Ripley with the rough playing with people and help get him house broken a bit easier as he would see another dog go potty outside?

Good questions, and the answer is that the dominant dog will educate the less dominant (generally)  So your wish that Riply will find his way outside when he needs to might work - then again, you might find that you have two dogs who use the available inside turf to do their business.

Good luck!

I think maybe I will hold off and do more research on this one. As much as it tears at my heart strings to see a dog being sold because he gets out of the yard, I really think I am going to take some time to think this one through. Make the decision based on what my head says not what my heart tells me.

I have surgery in a couple weeks and 1 husky is going to be a handful so 2 would be insanity. I am not sure I could take more than one dog trying to eat my coffee table lol.

I'm not trying to persuade you but when I got my second one things got so much easier. The only hard part is potty training since I got an 8 week old puppy. Nikko got much better having a playmate. And I have a small townhouse and a small 20x20 courtyard! And I just got a 3rd one lol.

All of mine are males and did fine. There were some dominance issues but they sorted it all out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found more than one to be much easier...as i have four now and possibly getting a fifth one lol..my two adults have pretty much trained their two daughters on how to behave..the girls will not leave the yard if Echo is out with them because Echo will not leave. They have not pottyed in the house since they were 3 months old because they seen that the adults were not doing it...and i use to have a huge problem with meeka whining all the time in her cage well when she would start in they all would start in and id go in and tell them to hush and go to sleep and when she seen how her mother and father reacted by keeping quit she caught on to what hush meant and learnt it to ...same with teaching them sit stay and back up we did not have to teach them their parents did and they observed what we were doing with them and fell in line...im not trying to persuade you or anything it is your decision just in my opinion more than one is better and id never go back to one :)

I just saw a craigslist ad for someone rehoming a husky who kept getting out of their yard too. I think it's in Virginia though, so probably not the same one?

I also just saw the cutest husky mix pups on a website for a rescue in north carolina. I am dying. It is only a couple hours away, but Chula is still soooo young. Can we post links to rescues here? I want him! (sorry to hijack your thread).

s898a5527947m15797056.jpg

Well, we got Damian last friday, and already there's a HUGE difference. Nika has S.A and having him around has just worked miracles on her. She's so much more settled, and he's learning from her everyday, he's already almost toilet trained because of Nika.

I'm not going to say one way or another, because it could go either way, they could hate each other, and I'm not sure if same sex would make a difference but it's worth having a few play dates with a potential puppy, although in some cases it's not always possible. We'll never look back, to me Huskies are pack dogs more so than others, so it makes sense!

2 was easy for sure. Especially with the second being young.  I did not have the problems with a puppy that most do.  We were not the chew toys Rusty was.  He tought her the bite inhibition  He helped with her house training because he did not want the mess in his house.  It was wonderful.  I have raised puppies as the only child and had my hands full.  Raising one with an adult dog was simple.  It is hard to believe it has been a year. 

3 was chaos.  We are adjusting but things are still far from where I want them to be.  It has been over 6 months and Vader still has to be separated. 

@Chula - I got Yukon when Nikko was only 9 months old.  People thought I was nuts!  And I was really scared that Nikko would get even worse!  He was pretty naughty too, a lot like Chula.  He is STILL kind of bad, but he did improve ALOT since I got Yukon.  I am really glad I got him!

Although, having 3 is becoming a challenge!  I am not having as rough of a time as most are, as Kodi is pretty mellow, and Yukon is well, the laziest husky ever! 

I just saw a craigslist ad .

Can we post links to rescues here? I want him! (sorry to hijack your thread).

No links to craigs list or rescues I'm afraid.

Both charge money for the dogs.

From the forum Rules.

6.01 -The advertising of any animals for sale, whether directly or indirectly is strictly prohibited. This includes donations, recouping of costs etc toward the obtaining of an animal in any way shape or form

Well, we got Damian last friday, and already there's a HUGE difference. Nika has S.A and having him around has just worked miracles on her. She's so much more settled, and he's learning from her everyday, he's already almost toilet trained because of Nika.

I'm not going to say one way or another, because it could go either way, they could hate each other, and I'm not sure if same sex would make a difference but it's worth having a few play dates with a potential puppy, although in some cases it's not always possible. We'll never look back, to me Huskies are pack dogs more so than others, so it makes sense!

It doesn't matter whether you have a male and a female, a male and a male or 2 females it can go either way which sex you get :)