First Kill

yaroni

Sorry if this has been posted, but im in the middle of work and need to get info out asap due to precaution.

So i left my pupp in Canada with my brother and parents, where its cold, spends all day with my dad and has a back yard (i miss him soo much).

Anyways just spoke to my dad and appearently he chased a family of rabbits and opted to kill on of the babies. He got his rabies shot recently, and heart worm pill a year and a half ago. No ticks iirc.

Question: Should i be Concerned and take him to the vet?

Just in case I would worm him again. If he has all his shots I wouldnt be too concerned..How long has it been since his shots though? because if its been two weeks he should be fine..but if he is showing odd signs take him immediatley

I wouldn't be too overly concerned about the rabbit he ate (wait, that didn't sound right!) mine have enjoyed the occasional munch without undo effects.  Misty got most of her meals from the "free range buffet" and never had a health problem.

I'm confused though with "and heart worm pill a year and a half ago" - heart worm pills down here are a monthly affair (reminds me, today's the day) what are you giving that is yearly?

I wouldn't be too overly concerned about the rabbit he ate (wait, that didn't sound right!) mine have enjoyed the occasional munch without undo effects.  Misty got most of her meals from the "free range buffet" and never had a health problem.

I'm confused though with "and heart worm pill a year and a half ago" - heart worm pills down here are a monthly affair (reminds me, today's the day) what are you giving that is yearly?

Well when i took him to the vet when he was still a pupp, (hes 2 in june) she said he needs some heartworm medication so i said yes, then she shoved a block the size of an eraser down his throat. And that was that.

He got his rabies shot 4 months ago, and i never bothered with ticks as i lived in an urban area. No one ever told me he needs monthly heartworm medication...

Depending on where you are (and you don't say in your profile - and that really helps when you're dealing with members who come from all over the globe!) you might not need them at all. All of north America is known to be heartworm positive (though Hudsons Bay and points north might not be ...???) I've seen member comments to the effect that they don't dose the dog except in mosquito season - I question that since it takes so long for symptoms to develop, but each to their own. 15 years go it was a tablet once a day, so the monthly tab have been a godsend.

BTW, you say that you're in an urban area so aren't concerned with ticks, if it's suburban enough that you've got stray wild rabbits you have the potential for ticks ....

I'm rambling .....

Heartworm is an issue, but not because of the rabbit.  Rabies is another issue, but again, not because of the rabbit.  Fleas, and worms, those could be an issue because of the rabbit.  Rabbits can carry fleas, and as such, they can also carry intestinal worms, including tape worms.  So I would suggest that you get a wormer that covers round, whip, hook, and tape worms.  Follow the directions.  Most are given once a day for a three day period.  Then repeat this in three weeks.  That will stop the cycle incase there are any eggs from the worms that ended up in the digestive tract.

Aside from that, I would make sure your dog is protected properly against heartworm disease.  Check with your vet.  Heartworm disease is terrible for a dog, and it is so much cheaper to prevent than it is to battle and cure.  Good luck.