What's A Good Food For Hip Dysplasia?

HugTheBear

I noticed my dog doing a bunny hop at the dog park. It seems like she has uneven hips when I feel them. Maybe it is something else. Going to get to the vet soon to see what it is. I am almost sure it is dysplasia.

Does anyone know a good name brand dog food to feed them that has all the vitamins they need? Right now I have them on Taste of the Wild.

And maybe some good vitamins to go with the food.

Mine has arthritis, not HD, but I give mine joint supplements every day (Pet Naturals of Vermont: Hip + Joint XL), they have MSM, cortisone  and a few other things.

He is also on TOTW (the salmon formula) for extra Omegas. 

The only way to know for sure if your dog has HD is to have X-rays done.

If he does, you'll want to keep his exercise low-impact. Swimming is excellent exercise, as it is zero impact. Alternatively, if your dog doesn't like to swim, walking on soft dirt/grass/mud is a lot better on the joints.

Whenever mine has flareups, he's given 1/4 to 1/2 of a tablet of Dermaxx. It's a strong anti-inflammatory for arthritis, but you may be able to use it for HD too.

Oh that's right. Sorry I got the two confused.

I am making an appointment to get it checked out. She doesn't jump on the bed like she did. I think it could be hip dysplasia. The vet will know for sure.

Awesome. I feed them that already! I will do that. Thank you. Is that something I can buy online?

Oh that's right. Sorry I got the two confused.

I am making an appointment to get it checked out. She doesn't jump on the bed like she did. I think it could be hip dysplasia. The vet will know for sure.

Awesome. I feed them that already! I will do that. Thank you. Is that something I can buy online?

You mean the joint supplements? You can, but I get mine at my local pet store. It's cheaper...don't have to pay shipping costs. :)

For me, its about $30 a bag...a bag lasts a month.

The paid meds (Deramaxx) you can only get from your vet. You 'can' buy them online, but honestly I find it sketchy...

Look out for kibble that contains Glucosamine and chondroitin plus omega 3 should help as should keeping an eye on your dogs weight.  The only clear way of telling if your dog has HD is with an Xray I believe

I'll echo lee's comment. Whether it's dysplasia or arthritis I think glucosamine tabs would help.  But you really need to have her checked out and find out what the root cause is.

How old is the dog your talking about Vicki?

She's two. But she was a mill puppy from Dans kennel. A sibling from a previous litter I tracked down has HD. And he was diagnosed at 2! She also has a later sibling that just had to have a leg removed because his bones were growing crooked, and this is the woman who gave me Asha. She rescues sibes.

I don't know how this Dan is still selling dogs! He even has his own Facebook now as has yet another litter of sibes!

• 1 month later...

Our younger boy has HD.

We feed him (well both of them) Hills Prescription Diet JD Hip/Joint, along with Glycoflex2 Glucosamine Chews.

Between the both of them, within 3 weeks he was like a whole new dog. Running and playing like never before.

And when we go to Husky Huddles, and we know he will be running and playing for a couple hours, we give him plain Aspirin to keep the pain down.